The "Waiting for the Next Giveaway" Speakeasy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea Allan too bad this isn't snow, but I do know we could use the rain.

Need to brew. Love beer, but not brewing. Drinking one or two a night no need to make ten gallons i think. It wont be to hardcore, ill buy 50 pounds in bulk, and have it cracked in 10 pound bags. I will use that as the base for beers. I modify recipes as i go because the grain is 34$ for the bag and i like that deal. I will use Willamette or something like that for hops because its versatile. At a dollar an ounce its hard to pass up. If the beer is going to last a little longer though i will try some better hop recipes.

During the black friday deals I picked up a bunch of hops. I got a mix of a pound in 4 oz each of a blend, citra, galaxy, one more then another pound each of 2 other varieties, loral and jarryllo. Then I also got a few ounces of other stuff from last winter.

Supposedly as long as they are vacuum sealed in a freezer they shouldn't loose much of the alpha acids in a year or 5

I've used 2 year old pellets with only a 5% increase in Qty and they worked out fine.
Not sure if it was because AA% had decreased or my love of Bitter increases.

I have always used pellets as well.

But the two articles from MBAA show that during dry hopping the iso-alpha-acids are reduced and humulinones are absorbed.
humulinones are less bitter. this is not a bad thing but it shows that dry hopping actually reduces bitterness.

Humulinones are in higher concentration in pellet hops as they naturally form when alpha-acids oxidize when the Lupulin glands are crushed.

what I am not sure about is if the humulinones are in part responsible for the stripping away of iso-alpha-acids or are just being absorbed and replacing some of the lost bitterness.

whole hops have less humulinones so dry hopping with them not as much of the bitterness would be replaced.

It would just be a perception test unless I could find a Lab that does HPLC testing cheap.

Peyton,

I have nothing to offer on this subject. I've only used pellets to hop/dry hop my beers. However, I'm about to do a Belgian Double that uses whole hops only. It will be interesting to "taste" the difference between pellet vs whole hops.

Allan

I never used whole hops. Only pellets. Hoping this sumer it will change with some fresh centennial.

Perhaps a chemical explanation as to why fresh flower intact is sweeter.../[/url]

in part yes, the crushing of the lupulin glands when pelletizing oxidizes some of the alpha-acids creating additional humulinones which adds back some bitterness during dry hopping.

I wonder if whole hops or pellets removes the same amount of iso-alpha-acids during dry hoping. I'll need to go through the two articles I posted more closely.

Oops sorry missed those. Great technical journal articles, very enjoyable reads albeit well beyond my knowledge. Based on my past research (if I remember correctly) with all factors being considered there is no issue with using pellets obviously, but the fresh flower has such a nice aroma. Does the fresh absorb more wort? Convenience, stability, price, size, and consistency keep pellets as the preferred method but fresh are a great choice for dh as long as quality is high. It would seem molecularly pellets would have more surface contact points with wort making them a good choice for the boil and the freshness of flower for dry hopping.

Oh yea there is no issue with using pellets.
from my read of the two articles dry hopping removes a lager portion of iso-alpha-acids than originally expected
Dry hopping with pellets contributes a large portion of that lost bitterness through the absorption of hunulinones
Pellets contain more humulinones that whole cone hops.

so potentially dry hopping with whole hops would produce a less bitter beer.

I prefer the more bitter, but I think it would be an interesting test.

also from my read of the articles I will start increasing my 60 min addition on batches that I plan to dryhop to make up for the lost iso-alpha-acids.

Interesting hop talk.

Just found out our brew club is going to cyber meet with bootleg biology and talk about backyard yeast wrangling. It should be a fun Feb meeting.

would love to hear any advice for catching yeast (i've read the threads on here), looked straight forward and easy , but tried it once and what ever we caught was not yeast.

Been a little busy myself but I did brew a blonde ale and got a tap to use on keg instead of picnic tap.

Brewed a Red Rye IPA yesterday using hop exp9326 from @Farmhousebrewingsupply.

9326 "Cascade-like with grapefruit, tropical and strong berry aromas" - well see in a few weeks.

I like rye ipas. Bluepoint brewery has a rastafarye ale. It's pretty tasty I want to make a rye ipa, tell me how it is and what you used.

I was sad when in be bought bluepoint....now they redid the tasting room are getting ready to move out but they did make the cask festival better and larger with bands and more room and casks!! I think this may be the last year they have it at original place.

I think the color might be light in the end, but I wont really know till I've poured a glass. Made with supplies on hand

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.013
IBU: 84 (ish)
SRM: 13
Yeast: Imperial Yeast Joystick (Pacman)

Malt
Two-Row.............67%
Carared..............6.1%
Chocolate Rye.....1.5%
Crystal Rye.........4.3%
Rye...................15%
Castle Abbey malt..6.1%

Hops
warrior...........0.3oz..@60
x9326.............1.5oz..@15
x9326.............1.5oz..@10
x9326.............1oz....@5
exp grapefruit..0.5oz..@5

Hopstand 45min @170F (2oz x9326, 1.5oz Exp Grapefruit)

Dry hop 7 days from kegging (2oz x9326, 1.5oz Exp Grapefruit)

Inspired by http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/08/india-red-rye-ale-recipe.html

Wish I had more Rye, I would have bumped it up to 20%.

Anyone entering the National Homebrew competition?

I was going to enter a barrel aged coffee stout.

Debating on
Vienna lager
Pale ale
We'll see how the Red Rye turns out.

I think this year I will not enter. Working on getting some solid beers for next year this year

yea but sometimes the feedback is good. Last year I entered my Coffee Stout and got a Silver certificate (38) and some feed back. Made some changes and now it's in a barrel.

plus I entered a IPAish/Saison in the mixed style category, also got a Silver certificate (36) but it had changed so much from when I bottled (Like a glass of funky Sunny-D)it to when it was tasted in April - the Saison funk and Juiciness of the hops was gone and it was just a nice IPA with a hint of funk. it was based off of m00ps recipe - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=567274, I love this recipe and I had saved a few bottles to try at the same time of judging but usually the Keg is empty after week one I had never seen how it aged.

I like the feedback as well. Just need a solid one to enter. A club member won bronze in meads 2 yrs ago

I entered last 2 yrs. I have been only brewing for 3 so I know I need improvement. I think that fermentation control is what I need to look into.

Quick question, our club is getting a 59 gallon red wine barrel. What would you put in it? I would like a saison, but not sure what others want. There are 14 of us putting 5 gallons each in.

Back