The "Waiting for the Next Giveaway" Speakeasy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maine beer company is kinda close. I got family near trillium. Might need to see if treehouse is on way home

Actually I just checked and I could probably hit treehouse on Thursday right as they open up!!!

So you are driving to Maine, which means you have to drive through CT. Any chance I can give you a few bucks to bring back something from Trillium and Treehouse for me? :)

Trillium is a long shot. I got family in westford I am stopping at and I hope to make tree house it depends on when I leave on Thursday. But if I score some I will grab some extra and let you know and drop off on way back. Sunday.

Brew Day!

Doing a 12 gallon Batch of 1859 Barclay Perkins Porter Export India.

2 pounds of East Kent Goldings

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 11.38.50 AM.png

Looks good Peyton. The EKG should make this beer very aromatic. Never tried this kind of Porter before though.

That works for me Keno. I live maybe 10 minutes from I95, so I can meet you anywhere that works for you.

Edited for typo.

So treehouse was a success! Scored a few cans, however with the limits and the 3 days in ME...they did not last.

Sorry I couldnt help out, I even wanted some for my homebrew club members but the limits are crazy they got there. It was weird too on the trip in and out I was only on 95 in the state of ME and NH. I use 84 and 91 in CT. Maybe next time.

I also nearly froze on Saturday it was 3 degrees at 2pm and felt like -18 at the base...it was wicked cold!!!

Coldest snowboarding I ever did.

It was a good time so good I had a hard time getting home and stopping and allagash on the way home and as well.

Looks good Peyton. The EKG should make this beer very aromatic. Never tried this kind of Porter before though.

With all the hops It's Like the 1850's version of a Black IPA. The Export India Porter actually out sold the IPAs in India in the 1800s. 10s of thousands more barrels of it in the shipping logs.

So volume at work was crazy last 2 days...today not enough to use me....

Which is good cause it's member only beer meeting tonight.

And we are supposed to get 2 to 6 inches tonight into tomorrow.

Also am supposed to get all the norcal parts for my speidel today. Can't wait.

We are going to be in the 70s today

Weather Underground then says scattered flurries Friday night, and Ice Tuesday night.

We never got any real snow this winter :(

I heard due to the lack of cold weather for a long time in the NE the ticks are going to be insane this summer...

this started already though, I thought kinda early.

20170227_143918.jpg

20170227_143906.jpg

So now they upped our tuesday storm to 8-12...nice mid march storm!!!

So I got a mini fridge. Was thinking of expanding it to make a ferm chamber. Downside is I use that fridge now for chilling a keg at a time. Do you think I could use ferm chamber to serve be from as well? When not making beer of course.

I would build it out using 2 in foam, caulk and tape as well as wood for the outer. Even considering using the door on opening.

So I got a mini fridge. Was thinking of expanding it to make a ferm chamber. Downside is I use that fridge now for chilling a keg at a time. Do you think I could use ferm chamber to serve be from as well? When not making beer of course.

Depending on the Size of the Fridge and Temp controllers you could Lager or do an ale in the low 60s while serving at the same time.

I have a neoprene Keg sleeve with a heating blanket on the inside, I can Ferment anywhere from 50-62F in one Corny Keg while serving out of another Keg at 40F. It was and expensive Kickstarter But a fun toy (KegSmarts-from PicoBrew).

When Building out a Ferm-chamber take note that some Mini-fridges use the outside skin of the fridge as a heat sink, Many of the Ferm-chamber builds on this site leave some airspace between the fridge and the frame they build around it.

I don't think the mini fridge I have I will build around. I was thinking of just extending the cooling area and cover g that only with wood. I also saw a bunch of build where I can make a metal frame and use the old door to close it tight. I hope it works. This will be a build this summer. When I am not busy working, at the beach or in the rv....

So the imperial saison I brewed today came out about .007 short...I think some candi sugar camelized on the kettle bottom as I hit all my preboil numbers and everything. Think I should boil some dme and add that or just let it ride since there will be 13 other brewers as well?

I wouldn't be too concerned, I usually don't care unless I'm really trying to hit a historic clone, or I want my OG/IBU to be balanced for the sake of the numbers I wanted. Usually I'm just glad I can drink more of it at a time.

I actually diluted my Export India Porter with a gallon of spring water, to hit the Target OG.

I let it ride. It's happily fermenting away now with white labs 564 a vault strain.

How did the snow hit you Peyton? We got about a ft and I shoveled 3 times and am finally finished. Glad this was the only real storm this year.

Anyone order any of the vault strains? I got the Hansen ale 075

Anyone order any of the vault strains? I got the Hansen ale 075

I have to admit not only do I have a problem with needing to try new hops...I love trying different yeasts :ban:

As soon as the Vault starts shipping I have 4 Brews to figure out

LP064 Buchner Yeast Blend
WLP075 Hansen Ale Blend
WLP640 Brettanomyces anomalus I
WLP835 German Lager X

Turned into 2" of Sleet. The roads are clear and dry, but for anyone who did not clear their walk or driveway it is an impenetrable block of ice now.

I worked today and the roads were still a mess up here. We didn't get any trailers from Albany, Harrisburg or Hartford....Looks like tomorrow will be christmas numbers.

I have to admit not only do I have a problem with needing to try new hops...I love trying different yeasts :ban:

As soon as the Vault starts shipping I have 4 Brews to figure out

LP064 Buchner Yeast Blend
WLP075 Hansen Ale Blend
WLP640 Brettanomyces anomalus I
WLP835 German Lager X

I hear that. I think I finally found some yeast strains I like. If the 075 works out then it's one more to keep as a house type strain. Whenever I make a starter I over build it and save some. Keeps me from having to clean yeast cakes and all.

Hops haven't really experimented so.much but this past winter I stocked up so I have plenty of brews to make with what I have on hand. The blonde ale I made was real good definitely gonna make that maybe up it to 6.5 gallons and spkit.off a half gallon for experimental flavorings.

Yeasts
  • IPAs and Pale Ales: Imperial Yeast "Joystick" is my house yeast (Wyeast Pacman)
  • Sometimes Imperial Yeast "Barbarian" (Conan) or "Dryhop" (a blend of Conan and 644)
  • Blonde ale: Imperial Yeast "Citrus" (WLP 644)
  • Saisons: Wyeast 3711, Sometimes Yeast Bay Wallonian
  • Stouts: used to only use Denny's 50, but I like how Wyeast Scottish ale yeast 1728 did in a recent historic stout, and about to find out how Wyeast London ale 1028 does in a porter. Also Imperial "Darkness" has been nice (Dry Irish stout)
  • Belgian Ales: Still haven't found a Belgian yeast I'm happy with
  • Lagers I've only used Saflager 34/70

I have mainly been using Imperial Organic Yeast when I can as I like the 200 billion cell count per can. My homebrew store gets the cans fresh so the actual live count is closer to 250-280, so no starters for most batches. But I'll make starters for all Whitelab Vault strains and save some.

Back