The "Waiting for the Next Giveaway" Speakeasy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Peyton I think you have one, does it leave a good amount of beer on the bottom below the spigot? ...

I use a spigot and racking arm from a SS BrewBucket and it works pretty well. the NorCal should be great. Without a racking arm There would be a bit more left. I have also just tilted it without picking up Trub.
I also added a thermowell and use the SS BrewTech digital temp probe.

• when I'm read to transfer, I swap out the airlock for the original plastic spigot on top, put in a little C02 through it. just the end of the hose a little wasteful but the lid bulges and I close off the spigot. it seems to hold the pressure.
  • cold crash.
  • then run tubing from the spigot to a black ball lock adapter and have it go in through the out on the Keg.
  • I also Push with CO2. it will hold a couple PSI.

photo-1-64883.jpg

I've been wanting to put a spigot around 1 gallon in my bucket for a long time. I usually have somewhere between a half gallon and a gallon of Trub. My plan is to just gently tilt it towards the end to get the rest out.

Peyton nice technique. Purging the air and transferring that way sounds great.

Allan I enjoyed your run. Shed sounds cool, what are your plans. I have seen a few built on this forum over the years. My advice is to usually Google pictures and then work from there. I know you know that just reiterating. Here's a few pictures

View attachment 1484782082405.jpg

View attachment 1484782090955.jpg

Shed sounds cool, what are your plans.

In the first picture you posted, the first two pictures are cut off. But, if you go left to right with the full pictures, it would be close to the 4th one. Not really a home brew pub, but just a brew house. A place to brew for sure. :mug:

Peyton,

I think your measurements are off a bit. Could you clarify the grain bill? Otherwise, it does sound good.

I've been wanting to put a spigot around 1 gallon in my bucket for a long time.

I just did this to one of my big mouth bubblers. Worked out perfectly-ish. I had a spigot that I snagged from my old bottling bucket. Just note that it would have worked better to drill the hole if I put duct tape or gorilla tape on the area I was going to drill first. It would have made for a cleaner hole. I was able to clean up the jagged hole with a utility knife. Made it work. A hole saw probably would have worked better than a spade bit. :ban:

Do you find the thermoelectric difficult to keep clean with any gunk?

I just looked more at norcals stuff and they got a diptube and thermo well combined for 39 with a 1/2 in NPT so that's totally doable for the thermo well and transferring.

I just did this to one of my big mouth bubblers. Worked out perfectly-ish. I had a spigot that I snagged from my old bottling bucket. Just note that it would have worked better to drill the hole if I put duct tape or gorilla tape on the area I was going to drill first. It would have made for a cleaner hole. I was able to clean up the jagged hole with a utility knife. Made it work. A hole saw probably would have worked better than a spade bit. :ban:

Reminds me of my kegarator hole, haha. Yeah, i need to splash out for bit next time.

Peyton,

I think your measurements are off a bit. Could you clarify the grain bill? Otherwise, it does sound good.

Fixed the % were off also 3.5 gallon

1885 stout
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.018
IBU: 58
SRM: 34
ABV: 4.7%
Size: 3.5 Gallon

Maris Otter Ale Malt:.....3.75 lbs ......52.1%
Black Pearl Malt:..........11.2 oz....... 9.7%
British Amber:.............2.75 lbs ......38.2%

HOPS
Type...............Amount (oz)....Time
Cluster................0.6..............60
Strisselspalt.........1.5..............30
Spalt Select.........1.5..............20

Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728

I need to make an IPA next but after that I'm looking at the Barclay Perkins 1859 Export India Porter.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2012/11/lets-brew-special-1859-barclay-perkins.html

I'll have to make some changes for a small Z Batch. Even-though most hop additions for Stouts and Porters back then rarely went later than 30 min, with the crazy hop level of this porter(11oz for 5 gallon) I'll space out the four adjunct cages to only shoot for IBUs in the 80s.

The recipe calls for two different Pale Ale malts "pale malt HP" "pale malt SP" not sure what the HP and SP mean or if I want to bother I might just go with Marris.

1859 Barclay Perkins EI
OG 1.0644
FG 1.016
IBU 87
SRM 28
ABV 6.3%
Batch Size: 3.5 Gallons

Grain
Marris Otter....................3.625lb....41%
Simpson Golden Promise...2.75.......31%
British Brown..................1.625......19%
British Amber..................0.4375......5%
Black Malt.......................0.325.......4%

HOPS
Type.................Amount (oz)...Time
East Kent Goldings.....1.5.........60
East Kent Goldings.....1.5.........45
East Kent Goldings.....1...........30
East Kent Goldings.....1...........25

records show this may have also been dry hopped before shipping.
Dry hop 10 days out 3-4oz

I got modern homebrew recipes and might make the new world blonde this weekend. Seems pretty good, uses galaxy and citra all late additions so not too hoppy more malt forward. I will see how things go saturday morning

Now I got to looking at the ss brewtech valve, however the norcal does have the thermowell all in one....not sure which I will get.

I think I will just stick with the stock stuff for a couple batches then will switch out if I find I leave too much beer behind

Love the historical recipes peyton. I have an interesting ipa from mike karnowskis book. Home brew basics

Love the historical recipes peyton. I have an interesting ipa from mike karnowskis book. Home brew basics

I stumbled on the Blarclay Perkins Blog in a thread on this site and decided to start trying some.

I'll have to check out the book, I've not had a chance to checkout his new brewery (Zebulon Artisan Ales) after leaving GreenMan.

Tapped the 1885 Thomas Usher stout

Is very good. - a little tweaking and I'd brew it again. Might pick a different yeast to get it a bit drier or mash lower.

FG was 1.018 instead of 1.014 but I overshot the OG so the ABV is the same, Tad sweeter than the original descriptors but it is classified as a sweet stout. thankfully with all the hops it's not cloying.

I normally brew the founders kbs stout. Its just sooo hard to get away from. Chocolate, oatmeal, and coffee.

Brewing the blonde ale today with citra and galaxy. From the book great beers I think?

I decided I needed a less high octane beer around. Currently all the beers I got are about 8 %

started my beer late today but got it into fermentor and made up a starter and will most likely pitch that tomorrow. I am using wlp 051 so figured a starter I could save some for the future batches

Peyton did you ever take apart the spigot on the speidel? I figure if I get the norcal stuff I just bust it out or does it disassemble? Didnt want to mess with it too much today since I was brewing.

I think I figured it out. After research it seems like just a gasket holds the spigot in so it should pop right out.

Supposed to get about 3 inches of rain in next few days

we go on a snowboard trip Feb 1 I hope theres snow in the poconos

Made a bread with so spent grains. I should have let it rise a little more.

Working at fedex I made biscuits once. All the dogs seemed to like them.

Back