Wildwest's brew lean-to (my almost dream build)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got done ready all 65 pages of this thread. Great work btw! I must have missed it but in the begining you were talking about a cold room for storage/fermenting. Did there end up not being enough room for it with the bar addition?

Love the aluminum sheets on the wall, great touch.

Mark

WW,

I've been reading this post for over an hour and man you have a nice brew shed (this is an understatement).

Congrats! It is inspiring.

Wow WW, I've seen you in the hockey trash talk thread and my respect for you just went up about 1000x. This build is amazing. I spent the entire morning (at work) reading it. I'm about to move into a new apartment and while I won't be building a brew lean-to, I do have some plans for the bonus room.

Ok, all said and done, was it worth it?

Oh, without a doubt. Just did my 17th batch in there last week, and I love it.
There's not much I would change.

Wow WW, I've seen you in the hockey trash talk thread and my respect for you just went up about 1000x. This build is amazing. I spent the entire morning (at work) reading it. I'm about to move into a new apartment and while I won't be building a brew lean-to, I do have some plans for the bonus room.

Thanks, if you ever make it up here, come by for the tour.:mug:

_

Whew....Just a few days plus 3 hours tonight and I am done with the entire thread!!

Excellent addition to your home. What a great place to just relax and have a brew and watch some TV or listen to some tunes. Not to mention brew day.

Is that the 24 x 24 sink? Anything you would have done differently in that area? I was thinking the sink would need to be bigger for my own tastes but looking at the drain/shelf area I think that is a great size.

Very well done! :mug:

Is that the 24 x 24 sink? Anything you would have done differently in that area? I was thinking the sink would need to be bigger for my own tastes but looking at the drain/shelf area I think that is a great size.

Overall the sink is 51"x30", with a 24"x24" bowl, 14"deep, it's actually plenty big enough for me. It's the single nicest/most useful thing in the shed, I love it.

_

people like you should be bowed down to in the brewing world. I spent over a half an hour following this post and it came out awesome.

Congrats man

Cheers!!!

Wishing you had a window, eh?

Nope, i'm wishing I never stained the concrete. That stuff was crap, it's all peeling off the floor. How in the hell does "stain" peel off? Followed the directions to the letter, and it didn't work.

_

I would have gone with garage-floor epoxy since it's really tough, eventually becomes one gigantic slab, and it's water-proof but still grips really well to shoes even in the presence of liquid.

I have a stained concrete floor and it looks great after 3 years of heavy use. Did you etch the concrete prior to applying stain? Was it waterbased?

I have a stained concrete floor and it looks great after 3 years of heavy use. Did you etch the concrete prior to applying stain? Was it waterbased?

Yes and yes. Brand new slab, followed directions to the letter.

_

My slab after 3-4 years. Was going to re etch & stain this fall:

30687d1311819611-uds-build-liner-1.jpg

Man WW that is one of the nicest set ups I have seen on HBT. I have about 400 sq. ft. of my basement left unfinished, which I originally planned on using for storing my brewing equipment and simple prep. work on brew days, but after seeing your build.....I need a set up like that! My plan all along was to build an AG, gas fired, brewing rig on heavy duty casters to wheel out on my patio on brewing days. I live in MI, so it would completely blow in the winter time to have to brew on the patio. The rig would be too heavy and bulky to wheel up to one of my garages, which is where I currently extract brew in the winter.

I'm thinking electric is the way to go for me now. I have been reluctant about going electric for the simple fact that while finishing the rest of my basement, I used up every last circuit in my 40 breaker electric panel. Being completely ignorant about electricity, I though that I was screwed. However, in speaking with my neighbor who is an electrical engineer, he said for about $100 and very little work, we could install a smaller sub panel to accommodate more circuits. Evidently my 200 amp. service can more than handle a sub panel. Now that I realize that I am NOT limited with power supply, the all electric route is looking even more appealing.

Hell, I have the extra space, already have a basement bar, rec. room, and bathroom completed. Why go outside if I don't have to. I'm very inspired by your build and can see a very similar set up going into my basement over the winter. Nice work....and thanks for your kegging advice along the way during my keezer build. :mug:

I would endorse any scenario that ends with dead cats.

If dogs were allowed to roam free they would be WAY more destructive than cats...and you never heard of a cat mauling a child to death...just sayin.

On topic, this thread is cool...makes me wanna build my own.

Hell, I have the extra space, already have a basement bar, rec. room, and bathroom completed. Why go outside if I don't have to. I'm very inspired by your build and can see a very similar set up going into my basement over the winter. Nice work....and thanks for your kegging advice along the way during my keezer build. :mug:

Thanks. You will never regret going to an electric setup. I love being able to brew indoors without the extreme heat of a burner. As nice as your keezer turned out, i'm sure you could come up with a killer electric setup.

_

Thanks man. I have a couple of other projects in my basement to finish up before I start, but I'm going to start gradually accumulating parts for my keggles soon. I just purchased all of my drop ceiling grid and panels last week and finished the first room (and the smallest of the 5 rooms I'm doing) over a couple of days. It's going to be more work than I though, but I'm looking to have it up in the next few weeks. I then have carpeting to purchase and a hydronics boiler for my radiant floor heating for the finished side of the basement left to buy before winter. At that point, the basement will be 100% complete. I can then move all of the sh*t out of my storage room in the basement (furniture, etc.) and start formulating a layout for the brewing room and a solid game plan. I also need to start replinishing my "brewing projects" fund before I start getting carried away with the e-system. If I start tapping into our other accounts for brewing purposes....my wife gets a little edgy. She has been pretty supportive of my new hobby, so I don't want to rock the boat with her. :D

I may have some questions along the way. Again, great job with yours...it's a frickin' masterpiece!

Super thread WW. Great room. Some day in the future I might have a place like this. Right now it on the patio in the 100+ heat. Great job, very inspiring.

Nope, i'm wishing I never stained the concrete. That stuff was crap, it's all peeling off the floor. How in the hell does "stain" peel off? Followed the directions to the letter, and it didn't work.

_

Great job on the brew pub. As far as the concrete issues, your stain may have been applied to soon after it was poured. Concrete cures through the process of hydration and this some times takes years to fully complete. Most go with the 27 day cure rule when applying stains or paints. If it was done after a month after it was poured, then I'm stumped. Still, all in all, job well done on your build.

Simply the best 67 pages I've ever read in one sitting. It won't be long before my job blocks this site. Your brew pub is simply amazing. I tip my hat to you sir!

Yea I just read all 68 pages. SWMBO has no idea what I'm going to do to her garage :D

Thanks for the kind words, just recently completed my 20th batch on the "new" setup, still love it.:mug:

_

Since this thread was recently bumped I thought i'd post a pic of the setup. I finally got all my pumps and mounted them. I've brewed 10 batches on this setup and it's all dialed in. I hated it at first, fiddling with pumps and hoses and what not. But I now love it and it's almost worth the ridiculous amount of time it takes to clean.

DSCN3288.jpg

-

i'm freakin jealous...

but it looks so damn cool! if i tell some one i brew beer then show them my set up i get looks like i'm the unibomber. yours is so neat and clean and shiney. i bet you get looks like, "hey, this guys must know what he's doin. i'll have one of his beers."

What about the system makes cleanup that bad?

Having to clean the brew kettle then re-fill with pbw and re-circ to clean the chiller for 20 minutes then drain and hot rinse. All the kettles have to be wiped dry(in and out) after cleaning or they look like hell. All kettles have to be put back in the exact same spot everytime or the hoses won't work, just nit picky stuff.

Sometimes I miss just rinsing out my cooler with a garden hose.:eek:

but it looks so damn cool! if i tell some one i brew beer then show them my set up i get looks like i'm the unibomber. yours is so neat and clean and shiney. i bet you get looks like, "hey, this guys must know what he's doin. i'll have one of his beers."

But they also expect world class top notch beer to come out of there, no pressure.

_

I joined this forum because of your thread, WW.

I am getting ready to try my hand at home brewing, and now I want to convert my theater into a brew room. :rockin:

One day I will do this, but bigger. Why bigger? Cause I'm gonna need a cold room for all those conicals I'm dreaming of. Seriously though, you've inspired the inspired. Oh, and all the electrical nazis should die. STFU AND DIE! Seriously, die. Ok, done :rockin::rockin::ban::ban:

Back