Wildwest's brew lean-to (my almost dream build)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About how thick did that layer of epoxy turn out? It looks a bit thinner than I would have imagined.

Btw, this build is fueling my dream room right now. I might have to convert my office ;)

I think it looks great. It's a minimum of 1/4". They say you can do up to 3 coats, but I don't see that as being necessary. You have to do thin (1/8") coats or it won't cure properly.

WW, that is indeed a killer build! I have been thinking I need to build out the tandem half of my garage into righteous brewery, it sure beats the heck out of storing engine parts that I will never use there!

Arron,
that's a great idea add awnings between buildings for a breezeway
center section as a bier garden patio, simple and legal.

I can't even remove a rotten grape arbor without a demo permit, oops
too late fell down by dry rot plus a big push.

Problem is, that the county requires each building be a minimum of 6' apart.. by the time you add eaves to the sheds, that means they have to be 10' apart.. awnings, carports, etc. are considered structures and are subject to the same restrictions...

However, the overhangs/eaves are not part of the 120' sq allowance.. That is measured from the floor plan of the building (including wall thickness)..

What I 'am' considering though, to stay within the rules, is to construct the thing so that there is an open window/serving bar on one side, with an awning that is hinged to the top of the same wall, so that when closed, it covers most of the wall... then it can be tilted up, allowing for a 8-10 long by 10-12 foot wide awning coming off of that side of the building...

Done right, two buildings could indeed have such structures facing each other, so that when the awnings are opened up, one overlaps the other slightly, allowing for a rather sizable (say up to 12'w x 18'l) covered 'beer garden' in between...

Make one a brew shed, and the other a BBQ/grill shed... Mmmmm.. Heck, build four of these structures in a rectangle, and you get a 'large' patio.. Make one a bathroom, and the other a game room..

Ahh, if only money, time, energy, and ambition were no object!
:mug:

Ahh, if only money, time, energy, and ambition were no object!

If you had the money all the other problems are solved, pay off the inspectors then hire larbor to build it. Talking too rich to get your lilly
white hands dirty type. I'm rich enough to chose between wet or dry
dog food as an nice option.

If you had the money all the other problems are solved, pay off the inspectors then hire larbor to build it. Talking too rich to get your lilly
white hands dirty type.

I used to have this thing called 'employees'... no mas... times have changed...
No chance my hands will ever be lilly white again... but calloused, scarred, and gnarled I can do...

I'm rich enough to chose between wet or dry
dog food as an nice option.

LOL.. I'm aspiring to be that rich!
But it's all good though..
Success in life is 10% circumstance, and 90% attitude...

Ya got that right.
At the moment i'm lost where your at, thinking the Gold Country in the Sonora direction, correct? Still asleep here another 3:45 AM to bed night.
I'm paying for it now for years being a hard worker, stupid electrician used
my back instead of the brain. Wrong road also too late for me.

I'm an ex union electrician, now ex general/electrical contractor, now handyman doing whatever gets me by.. Trying to invest in another direction, but funds are slow... so it'll happen but just take a while...

I've made some pretty good money over the course of my life.. unfortunately, I was even better at spending it on this hobby or that..

I live about 45 mins east of redding, right at the base of Mt Lassen... Incredibly beautiful place.. completely dead economy... about as bad as anywhere in the country.. 'especially' if you're in construction...

This too shall pass though.. In the mean time, clinging to my guns and my Bible.. LOL.. beer makes the waiting it out bit fun anyways...

Cool fellow brother, spent many of summer 6 miles west of Mineral on 160 acre property.
Backing up to the 60's in Belden Feather River plus a bud in Chester with many BMW & Norton rallies in Quincy. My stomping grounds bike country.
Westwood must be near ya. WP RR to Klamath Falls in engine compartment what a trip plus to Winnamocka Nv. on piggy backs many of times.
Oakland to Keddie by rail as a bum then to Belden, life was good.
A 29 year IBEW 595 member here, a job related injury took me out, SSD now.
The pisser going from solid work w/OT at GM then NUMI to fixed income sucks.
Stay warm and dry brother. Carl.

I had chronic back problems, and had to leave the union stuff behind.. they kinda shafted me on the way out, but that's another story..

I'm near the north entrance to the park (to the west of it).. On the map I'm right near the town that's really not a town anymore called "Viola"... Quite a ways from westwood...

Was just in the Mineral area last week visiting friends (Paynes Creek)..

Be thankful for that fixed income thing.. Would be a lot worse to be hurt and not have 'that'...

I had zero income for years as the SSD system failed me, too an attorney plus a congremman to wake the system up. Judge awarded me extra backpay
due to how I was screwed around. Alive and well doing great then boom a cripple, ya takes your chances in life.

I had zero income for years as the SSD system failed me, too an attorney plus a congremman to wake the system up. Judge awarded me extra backpay
due to how I was screwed around. Alive and well doing great then boom a cripple, ya takes your chances in life.

That's what I'm looking at to get what the union owes me... Been putting it off, but getting to the point where I gotta start moving.. Retirement age is getting closer... not that I actually ever plan on fully retiring, but I'm slowing down (I see how this whole getting old and every injury you ever had comes back to haunt you trend works now.. LOL) and will need the income none the less...

I gotta relative that's been fighting SS and Workers comp for years.. Fell of a roof and really jacked his back and wrist up.. Surgery after surgery.. They still don't want to give him what is owed...

Anyways, we're getting pretty OT here.. Back to the totally awesome man-cave type brew palace type pub type deal type thing....

Just so you know what youve done by building this. My wife and I are looking at buying another home, one of the pre-req's is a suitable area to build my brew shed :) Its all just a pipe dream at this point but hopefully will come true in the near future.

Just so you know what youve done by building this. My wife and I are looking at buying another home, one of the pre-req's is a suitable area to build my brew shed :) Its all just a pipe dream at this point but hopefully will come true in the near future.

Good, a brewing place should be the single most important factor in buying a new home.

Provided it's located in an area with excellent brewing water.:D

Very nice build wild, so much for getting work done after lunch. Now I will just have to get drunk and "accidentally" show up at your place. :mug:

Very nice build wild, so much for getting work done after lunch. Now I will just have to get drunk and "accidentally" show up at your place. :mug:

Do it, and accidentally bring your brewing stuff, or I have another ag setup i'm not using anymore.

Your local home center should carry those braided water hook up lines that have the built in auto shut off valve.. In the event of a burst pipe, they automatically shut off the water flow.. Might work for ya...

Do it, and accidentally bring your brewing stuff, or I have another ag setup i'm not using anymore.

Once the holidays are over I may take you up on that! In the mean time I have a keg to convert and a new propane burner from the SWMBO to play with. Now I just need to find something permanent to mash in and all-grain here I come!

Since nothing in the HomeBrew world is ever complete, I think this should be your next addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't help reading this and not commenting. Great looking setup, West. The urinal was a great addition. Now get one of those wee goals! *Thumbs up*

I just spent my entire day reading this and drooling uncontrollably
My friday at work just got worse now that I'm done reading it

Another update for all 3 people following this thread.:)
Rough electric is done, plumbing tomorrow.

DSCN2638.jpg

I noticed you said a licensed electrician was doing you electrical should't your grounds and neutrals be separated

I was thinking since it's tax time, you could possibly write-off this build. I believe you can file a 'schedule c' for your new 'brewery business' and show your start-up expenses as losses for 2010. You can do this for three years and write of the losses toward your regular salary income. After three years, you must start showing a profit, or simply fold the business.

If you already are a freelancer, then it's even easier to write of these expenses, as the shed can be your 'meeting area.'

Actually, according to that picture, this would fail a code inspection (I live local to wildwest). It should have a grounding bar with the main (green) ground running between it and the main panel. The way it's shown, all of grounds are on the neutral bar which on a sub-panel is against code.

I wasn't trying to cause any problems but have seen the damage done by improperly installed electrical systems and would hate to see all the hard work go up in smoke

depends on local codes.

This is a first on me of "local codes" plus passed as below NEC minimum standard requirements aka illegal wiring.
I'd check your insurance policy see if it covers damage from these wiring practices. WOW! I'm impressed, work performed by a stated "Licensed Electrician".
This off a matchbook certification?
A 29 year IBEW wireman, what the hell do I know about code aka my bible? I'm out of here.

Back