[SPOILERS] Star Wars - The Force Awakens / Rogue One

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes you wonder though if those non-affiliated factions of force users factor into the "balance" of the force. Or because we've only ever been shown the Jedi vs. Sith conflict does that mean they're the only ones who truly matter? I really hope we meet some new force users in 8-9 simply so we can see a wider range of characters and how they fit themselves into the greater conflict.

Well we already have one new force sensitive. Maz Katana. Also clearly a light side user as well.

I always imagined to be honest how great a movie would be having a force user either light or dark who was just a normal worker. Like a mercenary, or assassin, or something similar.

Apparently there was a scene that didn't make it into the movie where Maz Kanata, in an effort to get away from the Storm Troopers, used the Force to pull the ceiling down on them.

Good question. Sith are specifically trained and accepted into the "club" known as the Sith.

It's interesting to note that Snoke isn't mentioned as being a Sith Lord. The Knights of Ren are a separate order of Dark Side users. So it's possible that the Sith ARE extinct, but that other Dark Side users can form relationships like Snoke and Kylo.

The sith were specific order of darkside users. I'm assuming that the Sith would have pissed off other darkside users as well because of the order of 2. And they manipulated other darkside users with the promise of Sith Lordship, like Asajj Ventress.

I do think it will be interesting to see and I think Luke's role in episode 8 would be the indicator. Maybe he wanted to leave long enough for the Jedi council to disband and instead of training in the "way of the jedi" he'll teach the way of the light side and train more people with less central control and power.

adamdrivercover.jpg

CY3SuETU0AEf1FJ.jpg

She talks about the Force in a way that suggests she understands it more than just hearing about it, she feels that the light saber is calling out to Rey, etc.

She talks about the Force in a way that suggests she understands it more than just hearing about it, she feels that the light saber is calling out to Rey, etc.

Agreed. She seemed to me to be at least sensitive to the Force. Plus she took the time and effort and money to get Luke's lightsaber. Judging by her profession I'd say she has more than a casual interest in him, and I'd place that interest in wanting to assist not just the rebellion, but in advancing the tenants of the Light.

"I'm no jedi, but I know the force".

I also had heard the rumor about the cut scene with her pulling down the tavern using the force. I think she's a force user.

What gives you the idea that Maz Kanata is Force-sensitive? I've seen it twice and must have missed the cues, as I didn't get that at all.

It's in the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary. She kept her force abilities hidden until the Emperor died.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1465438165/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can see her page in the preview.

And there were other things like the deleted scene of her using force pull. And the way she knew the lightsaber called to Rey, and her sensing of the Awakening in the force and the feel of the ebb and flow of dark and light side.

Last edited by a moderator:
That deleted scene where she pulls the ceiling down will reportedly be on the Blu-Ray.

And Han will probably reach for his blaster before Kylo Ren stabs him through with his lightsaber...

Oh wait, I forgot Lucas doesn't have creative control anymore! :ban: :mug:

I was waiting for Han to pull out a thermal detonator and blow Kylo up, but then we'd have to argue if Han was going to blow his son up before or after being stabbed.

The Vader from Spaceball's looks more dangerous then KYLO REN..... ☺. And the "I'm your father story" is not new.... 😆 And kill the Death Star... new? No....☺ Sorry and Snoke .... with out words 😂 Vader and the Imperator this was hugh evil. 😕 just the speech to the mass of people was frightening... like speech in WW2😯

FWIW I read the other day that Abrams says Rey's parents were not in TFA. So out the window with Leia, Han, Luke.

Maybe The Force knocked up some other chick?

Maybe Boba Fett had some down time and met a willing partner at the Space Diner and they rocketed off to a Motel (that charges by the Parsec) to put the Big Bang Theory to test?

Do we really know everything that R2 hides under that horny metal shell of his??

Ever wonder how C3-PO got the nickname "Goldenrod"?

Perhaps Padme didn't ACTUALLY die in Episode III! Maybe it was all a ruse to protect her from Anniken and the Sith! Maybe she had a secret love affair with Obi Wan. (or Yoda...?)

But then he walked that comment back saying something like "Rey didn't become aware of the identity of her parents in Ep. VII" or something like that.

But then he walked that comment back saying something like "Rey didn't become aware of the identity of her parents in Ep. VII" or something like that.

Yeah, they backpedaled on it. Which could mean that her parents aren't physically in the movie, or just that we don't *find out* who they are yet.

I am going to go out on a limb and say she is Mace Windu's kid.
He must have survived the fall and lived out his years someplace.

You know, if Lando got together with a white lady, their offspring would probably have a complexion like Rashida Jones, so I'm not ruling him out either.

You know, if Lando got together with a white lady, their offspring would probably have a complexion like Rashida Jones, so I'm not ruling him out either.

The timing isn't great unless she visited him after the events on Endor, and after she and Han separated. I can totally see him dropping by her pad with a case of Colt 45.

The next movie about stealing the death star plans will probably introduce the characters that parented Rey, we'll see. I just hope there's a lot of Stacey AKA Pink Five in it.

I have atleast 2 weeks until I go see Rogue One,
I am doing my best to avoid spoilers.
I did read 1 line of a review which indicates after seeing Rogue One you have to go re-watch IV ANH, as it gives a new perspective

Last year, people were so darn good about keeping spoilers under wraps. I didn't see TFA until 10 days after it premiered, and I knew nothing going in. I just hope I can avoid spoilers this time around. I wasn't so lucky with the Walking Dead season premiere.

Saw it on Saturday. Plans with others disintegrated like Alderaan, but the older kid and I went to see it.

It's WELL worth seeing!

Plenty of interesting cameos. Some good comic relief. Lots of buildup to an exciting finish.

I really did want to watch EP IV after seeing this. I won't talk about spoilers, because although there are some cool easter eggs, the movie stands on it's own.

Biggest disappointment was that there wasn't any STAR WARS logo, scrawl, and theme song at the start. Had myself all steeled up for that moment and then... The movie just started. I got over it quick though.

Last edited:
Last year, people were so darn good about keeping spoilers under wraps.

You got lucky then. The d-bags were out in force, in my experience. I was reading a Reddit article on a totally unrelated topic, and some jerk just posted "Han dies." That was it. He posted it on several topics, totally unrelated to Star Wars. I also saw it in my Facebook feed. People are the worst.

I won't talk about spoilers

I think it's fair to talk about spoilers here. It's in the thread title, in capital letters. I've been avoiding this thread until after I'd seen the movie specifically because I considered this thread a "safe space" for spoilers.

That said, there isn't really much to spoil in this movie, unlike TFA where the Han spoiler takes a fair bit out of the movie.

I agree that this one stands on its own, but I wasn't as swept away by it as I was with TFA. I found they jumped around a lot at the beginning between planets/moons, and without being familiar with that aspect of the universe, it left me playing catch-up a little.

Also, like you, I was a little bumped by the lack of the "STAR WARS" card at the beginning, followed by the crawl, with the iconic theme, but I quickly surmised that they're reserving that for the "main" series of films. Also, note that this is the first Star Wars movie in which the music was NOT done by John Williams.

I saw TFA in the theaters multiple times, but I think once will be enough for Rogue 1. I'll still almost certainly buy the Blu-Ray, but I didn't find it had the re-watchability of TFA. I found the middle dragged a little bit, but they saved it with a very strong finish, and I loved how it dovetails perfectly into the beginning of Episode IV.

K2SO was a highlight, as was the rebel Asian duo (the blind dude with the staff, and Chinese Jesse Ventura from Predator). I was also pleased with how prominently the U-wing was featured, since I'd already bought the Lego set knowing nothing about its role in the film. :)

This felt more like a war movie than the other films, like a Saving Private Ryan in Space. Overall, very entertaining and worth seeing. The end battle scenes were a visual marvel (they reeeeeeally love their "3 battles at the same time" gimmick in Star Wars, don't they?)

I would easily go watch again. I think there are probably lots of things to notice that I missed the first time. I might not buy popcorn and soda the second time. I will usually go all out for a good movie, but I did that once already. Generally theaters can have my admittance fee while I sneak a bag of peanuts or M&Ms in my pockets. $5.00+ for .25 worth of popcorn? No thank you. And no, I a big screen TV at home now, so you can't sell me on the "experience" of being at a theater. (Ok, maybe for really good movies...)

What I loved about the movie that maybe others didn't appreciate is that it still happens in the SW universe so there is plenty of the SW feel and references, but they can tell some of the side stories without risk of affecting the main story. I mean, no worse than George Lucas already has with some of the prequels.

The effects are top notch, there was plenty of action, and even the slow parts near the beginning were interesting to me.

I was thrilled to see that guy on the Death Star and then I was like, "Duh! It's the DEATH STAR! Of COURSE he's going to be there!"

My only gripe was seeing that one guy from the cantina on Jeddha, but then after what happens to Jeddha makes me wonder how he made it to EPIV. I bet there is an interesting story behind that! ;)

I would easily go watch again. I think there are probably lots of things to notice that I missed the first time. I might not buy popcorn and soda the second time. I will usually go all out for a good movie, but I did that once already. Generally theaters can have my admittance fee while I sneak a bag of peanuts or M&Ms in my pockets. $5.00+ for .25 worth of popcorn? No thank you. And no, I a big screen TV at home now, so you can't sell me on the "experience" of being at a theater. (Ok, maybe for really good movies...)

What I loved about the movie that maybe others didn't appreciate is that it still happens in the SW universe so there is plenty of the SW feel and references, but they can tell some of the side stories without risk of affecting the main story. I mean, no worse than George Lucas already has with some of the prequels.

The effects are top notch, there was plenty of action, and even the slow parts near the beginning were interesting to me.

I was thrilled to see that guy on the Death Star and then I was like, "Duh! It's the DEATH STAR! Of COURSE he's going to be there!"

My only gripe was seeing that one guy from the cantina on Jeddha, but then after what happens to Jeddha makes me wonder how he made it to EPIV. I bet there is an interesting story behind that! ;)

Everytime we go to theater, we stop off at chik-fil-a and load up my wifes Poppins carpet bag. We still buy sodas from teh concession.

Okay went and saw Rogue One. I was underwhelmed. Storyline was decent, I liked the tie in. Characters were okay. But overall I felt like it was a rinse and repeat and left feeling like I should have gone to see Assassins Creed instead.

I'll definitely go see it again. I'm sure there was plenty that I missed the first time around, just like I missed some details first time I saw Ep. VII.

Back