Sour Swap #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get through this bloody traffic, someone up yonder will have 25 pounds on the way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

I hope so. My recipient package was delivered at like 9:30 this morning. Hope it's ok.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Wow! Thanks MedicMang!!!!! Everything arrived fully intact, and I'm having a very hard time deciding what's going to be first in/out of the fridge for tomorrow.

In the box:

The sours:

New Belgium Brewing - Yuzu (Lips of Faith series)

Actual Brewing - Curiosus

Rivertown Brewing Co./New Holland Brewing - Funk Vessel

Monk's Cafe (really like this one!)

The extras:

Homebrew
-House IPA
-Sweetened Cider
-"Monster Mash SMaSH" (17%?!?!? Damn!)

Jackie O's
-Chomo-lungma
-Firefly Amber
-Hop Ryot
-Mystic Mama

The Brew Kettle - White Rajah

Fat Head's
-Head Hunter
-Hop Juju

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396403960.127039.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396403981.810360.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396404003.157727.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396404018.370416.jpg

A seriously awesome box of beer!

Yeah... I feel like a total ass... it's just, im an engineer... it says 60 oz. I ship 83 oz. and feel like I did a good deed... now everyone is shipping like 150-200 oz and I feel bad :(. I can ship another box if the disparity is high?

Perhaps a cap would be in order. Or at least a range. Like 90-110 oz. or whatever.

As long as you shipped 60 oz of sour beer, you have nothing to fear. You shipped 23 oz more than that, so you're cool.

Before I get in to this, let me say, God Damn I say God Damn!

This kind of aggression will not stand! I was going about my week, spending all my free time building my wife raised flower beds, and I come home, and now I have to spend the rest of the week fixing my front porch!

This is without a doubt the largest box I have ever received, 20x20x20. Its larger than a 12 bottle shipper.

I can also say without a doubt I have never received a better packed box. If any newbie ever needs tips on packing ask zdbrown1. The first picture is the bubble wrap I saved from unpacking. I've never had so much fun unpacking a box, thank you so much Zach!

All that and I haven't even started to talk about the beer!!!

From left to right:
Bruery Sour in the Rye (Love this beer)
Bruery Tart of Darkness (Always a great sour)
Allagash Interlude (Been wanting to try this!!!)
Perennial Aria (Wife loves this beer, great brett flavor, glad to have another bottle)
Bruery Rueze (This may be one of my top 4 Bruery beers, have had 2-3 bottles and can't wait to crack this one.)
Lake Effect Brewing Company Session Brett Ale (never heard of it, excited to try)
FFF Deesko! (I've been on a huge Berliner kick, this was probably top 2 on my list left to try!!!)
Two Brothers Tangent (Haven't had this but liked everything else I've had from here.)
Off Color Brewing Troublesome x2 (Never heard of it, happy to try)
FFF Zombie Dust (Already in the fridge, will have at least one tonight, never ever ever enough of this beer!)

Thank you so much Zach, this is a ridiculously awesome box!!!

Last point before the pictures: Zach will be getting a thank you box, and to my target, the box I sent is destroyed by this, so you will also be getting a small secondary box. This aggression will not stand!!!!

WP_20140401_008.jpg

WP_20140401_004.jpg

WP_20140401_006.jpg

WP_20140401_007.jpg

I know a cap wouldn't work... but then you don't have to feel guilty if you sent a little above the requirement lol. And I supposeee....

Glad they all made it safe! Local sours are hard to come by in Chicago so this was a tough one. You will enjoy the Deesko it's tasty stuff and yeah there's never enough Zombie Dust. Honestly no need to send a retaliation / thank you box (sorry for the porch)... I have been on the receiving end of a lot of people's generosity on here and wanted to BIF. Cheers!

I think it's totally fine if you followed the rules of the swap. When we all signed up for this it was to send a minimum amount and receive a minimum amount. I'm not going to think bad of anyone who didn't send a box way over the minimum. There are lots of people here who go way above and beyond, but that's just cool and WAY not required. I'm not expecting any more than 60 oz to arrive on my porch. If it's more than that, cool. Karma comes around and karma goes around.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow! Thanks MedicMang!!!!! Everything arrived fully intact, and I'm having a very hard time deciding what's going to be first in/out of the fridge for tomorrow.

A seriously awesome box of beer!

Awesome. Glad they made it ok. Yours was a challenge. Sorry that I sent the monks cafe one, not that you are disappointed. Being that you can drive an hour and hit another state that basically has any sour beer you would want, I was unsure of what to send. Ohio also isn't a great sour beer producing state. Other beers from Ohio are fantastic though, thus all of the extras. I definitely suggest drinking the IPA's first. All of them should be decently fresh. Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think of the homebrews.

I shipped a 20lb package out today, thats all I could fit in the shipper. I hope its enjoyed, its some of my favorites. Only disappointment was I was unable to track down Weyerbacher Riserva or Round Guys Berliner Weisse in time.

Next round I will have them on hand and ready for a lucky person.

FedEx informs me a certain package just arrived in Nelsonville, OH...

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!! Thanks a crap ton, Geoff. Ultra excited about the beers and the Surly SWAG! I'm really excited to try the Surly version of Blakker since I literally just tried the 3 Floyd's one the other day. And the freaking Toppling Goliath! Above and beyond, homie. Thank you.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396471506.568468.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396471553.832611.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396471597.187406.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396471618.799606.jpg

By the way... My computer crashed two days ago while brewing, thus completely erasing EVERY F'N BEER RECIPE THAT I HAVE WRITTEN AND HAVE BEEN WORKING ON FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS! O and pictures of me and my gal for our whole relationship too, I guess. I now know the logic of backing up data on a cloud now. This box made me happy again though. Can't wait to crack one tonight. Thanks again. Prost!

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!! Thanks a crap ton, Geoff. Ultra excited about the beers and the Surly SWAG! I'm really excited to try the Surly version of Blakker since I literally just tried the 3 Floyd's one the other day. And the freaking Toppling Goliath! Above and beyond, homie. Thank you.

So glad everything arrived intact! Can't tell you how hard it was to let go of that PsuedoSue bottle, that is a beer that will give Heady Topper and Pliny a run for their money. Freaking awesome Citra IPA. I can find it every once in a while over in WI and next time I'm just picking up a whole case! But in the end I just had to share the goods. Glad to hear you're excited about it!

To throw it out there, I am unable to give you trade feedback from my phone for some reason, even after typing it in the web view. I'll throw you some positive feedback when I get a chance to hop on a computer. Good reminder to everyone to give your sender some iTrader feedback.

OK, this is funny... a guy at work just picked up some beers for happy hour. He's a Michelob type of dude, but I don't judge. Lately he's picked up a few variety packs of things like Sam Adams when he picks up beers for Happy Hour. Today he comes in with a Blue Moon Sampler pack, which happened to contain their "Farmhouse Red - Saison/Flanders-Style Ale". I'm looking at it and between that and the Coors Light and Michelob I'm thinking I should give it a shot. Hell, it almost fits in with all the Sours I've been seeing land on people's porches lately...

Turns out NO! Wow, really just a very small variation of regular Blue Moon, which I used to drink all the time 5 years ago but do not enjoy at all these days (and to each their own, if others like it that's fine by me). I guess I should have been tipped off by the label: "Saison/Flanders-Style". How exactly are those styles similar enough to deserve to be that closely related? Or is this supposed to be a cross between the two? Either way, not really a sour beer in my humble opinion.

Cheese o Mang. That Friek was AMAZING! The Blakkr was great too, even though I will admit, I liked the 3 Floyd's bottle better. Does it make sense that they all tastes slightly different from all the other systems making the same recipe? Like soup? Anyways... My girl has a new favorite beer, apparently.

I'm hoping I get to play puppet master with some Friek this year since Odell just hit TX last month! :D :rockin:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

I only drank mine tonight only because it was the only sour that my girl said she might want to try. 'Twas deelish though.

Back