Sour Swap #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
;) electrolight edited his post. It's in my quote. Looks like it was a typo, no big deal. :)

Yeah, it was, and sorry about making you look like a liar haha. I edited the post and was working on the reply as ya'll kept talking.

As for the 3 month primary aging, when you have only sacch fermenting, you can get some autolysis flavors, which are typically not so good. When you have the bacteria as well, they can actually eat the sacch and give different flavors, which CAN be desirable. I was just trying to clarify what the JK Head Brewmaster had said so I can follow their process (it does seem to be working well for them!).

Thanks again, electrolight, for the info! I've got some Bug Farm and Bug County I've been itching to pitch!

So I have done more research and it seems that sach getting eaten isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least it isn't as long as the sach had enough time to work its magic. Which will happen if you pitch all at once. Now I'm wondering though, do the bottles we could harvest dregs from have any sach left?

By the way, speaking of Jester King, I'd love to do a side trade with someone for a few bottles. I don't know how hard it is for some folks to get, but for me its basically near impossible. Only one I have had is Le Petite, which was nice, though generally I prefer something with a little more meat. PM me if anyone is interested.

TD

About to PM you.

Ooh OOh! I would LOVE to get my hands on some of the bug country stuff! Its long sold out from what I can tell. I'm probably going to have to rely on lots and lots of dregs (By the way, what is the best method for keeping dregs until I'm ready to use them?)

Don't drink the bottle until you are ready to use them. Or you could make a starter and toss them into that with an airlock.

I'm planning out a Blueberry sour, trying to source 25# of local fresh small farmed blueberries at the moment. I should know by the end of the week. Was thinking about a 70% Pilsener/20% Malted Wheat/10% Flaked Wheat with half of the Flaked Wheat reserved for adding after reaching mash out temps to preserve some complex food for the bugs. I'll probably have to freeze the berries until I'm ready for them.

TD

Freezing the fruits causes the cell walls to burst which means that the yeast and bacteria will have a much easier time breaking down the fruit for food.

FYI,

In reference to the beer formulation posted above.

After CONSIDERABLE time wasted searching for the answer, I have discovered that for the most part, fruit additions have little to no impact on the gravity of the beer, but with some exceptions, and this does not appear to be one of them. The mad fermentationist website has a page about this, giving a formula in fact. It can also be done by volume, and if your fruit has a known brix, or you measure that with a refractometer, you can get a real answer. For the recipe posted however, there will be little to no impact on the ABV since the Brix of the beer and the berry are very similar. And by the way, the OG should be 1.049.

Brewing next week Friday 15 gallons of this stuff and going to play around withe the fruit additions.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Say, I posted this on the EMAW thread too, but I mentioned way early in this thread that I would be getting some Surly Pentagram, and there was some interest here from some of you, and it looks like I'll have that in the next week. So if anyone is interested in a side trade please PM me and let me know how many bottles. I'll do trades for $$ but would prefer trades for some cool non-MN beers, so let me know what you have and would be willing to part with. I'll say up front that stouts and DFH aren't my thing so steer clear of those. Pentagram is a 100% Brett brown ale released once a year from Surly.

Alright guys I'm back in the old USA. I'm thinking of round 3 either before the 4th or after... Probably a ship date of mid July to work around vacations. Any ideas for a theme? Or should we just do the usual?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Alright guys I'm back in the old USA. I'm thinking of round 3 either before the 4th or after... Probably a ship date of mid July to work around vacations. Any ideas for a theme? Or should we just do the usual?

I see no problem with the old 6 bottle sour. Maybe require at least 1 fruited sour? Maybe have to send one under 5% abv, one 5-10%, and one over 10%? Just throwing out ideas. Maybe have to send a sour red, sour brown, and a sour blonde?

Count me in! I'm up for anything. AND, I have some inventory on hand, plus found a new source for buying locally. Its out of my way to go there, but they have a great selection.

I"ll be on summer vacation and unavailable after the 4th for a couple weeks. Seems unlikely that we will get a trade finished up before then, and I don't want a box of sours sitting in the 90 degree FL weather on my porch. So.. whoever gets me, plan the shipping accordingly - prefer to have them hold it until I return.

TD

A box of expensive sours sitting in the back of a truck for several days in 90-100+ heat doesn't sound too good to me. I think I'll sit this round out.

Sent from my Commodore64

A box of expensive sours sitting in the back of a truck for several days in 90-100+ heat doesn't sound too good to me. I think I'll sit this round out.

Sent from my Commodore64

Just helps the aging process along!

I would love to get back in on one of these. I wish we had more options in the US for Berliners and Gose, that would be an awesome summer theme.

I would be in again. I found a lovely new resource for sours. It may be tough to do a themed swap though.

How can the newbies join in?! Im starting to get into sours myself, just brewed my first 100% Brett and looking for some guidance on quality sours! I live not to far from The Bruery which is the only place ive had sours from. :drunk:

How can the newbies join in?! Im starting to get into sours myself, just brewed my first 100% Brett and looking for some guidance on quality sours! I live not to far from The Bruery which is the only place ive had sours from. :drunk:

Just keep an eye out for the new swap thread and reply that you're in. Its pretty simple. There's a minimum number of oz to ship and most people go way over the limit. There are a ton of extremely generous folks that do these swaps!

I'll probably post it up today or tomorrow with a shipping deadline of the end of July.

So question: are the New Glarus fruit beers such as raspberry tart and strawberry rhubarb considered sour beers? I can't find info on whether there is any bacteria or wild yeast in these beers.

With descriptions on their website including wild, sour, spontaneous fermentation, etc ( on all but the Belgian Red), I assumed they were sour/contained bacteria. I have a bottle of the strawberry Rhubarb but haven't had it yet.

Latest posts

Back