Homebrewing Needs a Woman's Touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there a thread around here once where homebrewing got a literal womans touch? OPB they called it.

Didn't we all conclude that both the brew and the girl had a yeast infection?

Says the guy from wichita...... :D I was born in Wichita and glad my parents wised up and moved to a good town before my childhood was ruined.

Just to be clear, I never claimed anything good to be in Wichita. I like all Kansas' cities equally, it's just pretty low on my list of things that I like.

Just to be clear, I never claimed anything good to be in Wichita. I like all Kansas' cities equally, it's just pretty low on my list of things that I like.

HAhah that is great. Id have to disagree though, Manhattan, Lawrence, and KC are all pretty awesome. I cant say much for the rest of the state, especially west of here.

Man! Didn't know Toby Keith was such a hipster... so many craft beers I've never heard of in this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the '60's I sold magazines ..... one of the guys in the crew was from Saliva, Kansas ..... never could find that on a map:ban::ban:

OMG how did I miss this thread today, what a train wreck! :D

So we all agree that the home brew community is indeed actually way less (if at all) sexist than the rest of society?

I vote yes. You all who think it's sexist around here, you should try being a girl in a fantasy football league!
I'll take you guys any day.
:mug:

Welp, I just got caught up on 12 pages of mostly nonsense that was posted since I last checked in.

So... in summation, this thread sparked some serious discussion, got totally derailed, then ran off into Sillyville. I'm going to call that a success.

I vote yes. You all who think it's sexist around here, you should try being a girl in a fantasy football league!

My wife did (and won) an all-female fantasy football league at her office this season, and would attest to this. Several guys were second-guessing her lineup and strategy , even once she had established a comfortable lead.

Seriously, if anyone thinks the homebrewing community appears hostile to women, go search any article or blog on "Gamergate", and read the comment section (if it hasn't been shut down already). Holy ****, now that's an unwelcoming community, and I say this as a gamer myself.

If you're intersted for next year, we would love to have you! I host two leagues here and we play for beer. The 15 losers have to ship the winner a bomber of beer. We always have a good time!

I'm going to call that a success.

If you are referring to the fact that the home brewing community is actually not sexist like you thought it was, then yes, it was a success for us.

Well hey, we did it the same way we always do it. Did you really expect any other outcome? ;) And I've been in some honky tonks in my time...oh wait...honky tonk wouldn't be PC anymore...would it? Seriously though, this site is the best one I've been on so far as gender acceptance goes. Some are just,...well,...trollish to be polite.

I would not single out HBT for sexism, but of course it will crop up on occasion. Overall this site is way more respectful than the average.

(I almost feel like apologizing for an off-topic comment after reading the last few pages).

If you are referring to the fact that the home brewing community is actually not sexist like you thought it was, then yes, it was a success for us.

What you have proven is that today's active posters on HBT disagree with my premise. The reddit discussion on this is a lot more split - with (gasp) actual women saying things like "I have seen/lived this this myself" (also, at least one who, like Hello here, disagrees).

Then, there are facebook discussions, one of which is almost at 100% of the comments agreeing that yeah, the homebrew community has some room for improvement.

Let's clap ourselves on the back here. Maybe we can get a "certified non-sexist internet site" button or the like. That doesn't mean it's not a good discussion to have.

Do note that I never singled out HBT. Being the largest homebrewing community online, I was rather hoping that this would be the best sort of place for this kind of discussion.

I'll chime in late as well. I don't find that this board is sexist, no. I mostly lurk but I'm here reading most days and feel like the tone given to women posting is the same as that given to men.
I do roll my eyes a bit at the "women don't like beer", "women don't like messes", "women don't like the smell of hops", etc. comments I see, but I don't think those comments are insults, I just think that maybe the women those guys know really are like that.
As for why more women don't brew I can't really say. Most of my female friends love beer but don't have any interest in brewing their own. Maybe it's just a personality thing. I'm also in a male-dominated profession (software engineering), and my kids like to say I'm really "a dude" underneath.

I don't want to offend the men with lady locker room talk and nip shots.

/end thread crap.

Whoa! Wait one second....you're a girl? Well this changes everything! All of your posts sounded so manly. And there are other girls posting too?
Da heck?

Nip shots? Cool
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll chime in late as well. I don't find that this board is sexist, no. I mostly lurk but I'm here reading most days and feel like the tone given to women posting is the same as that given to men.
I do roll my eyes a bit at the "women don't like beer", "women don't like messes", "women don't like the smell of hops", etc. comments I see, but I don't think those comments are insults, I just think that maybe the women those guys know really are like that.
As for why more women don't brew I can't really say. Most of my female friends love beer but don't have any interest in brewing their own. Maybe it's just a personality thing. I'm also in a male-dominated profession (software engineering), and my kids like to say I'm really "a dude" underneath.

Oh come on Aileen.

What you have proven is that today's active posters on HBT disagree with my premise. The reddit discussion on this is a lot more split - with (gasp) actual women saying things like "I have seen/lived this this myself" (also, at least one who, like Hello here, disagrees).

Then, there are facebook discussions, one of which is almost at 100% of the comments agreeing that yeah, the homebrew community has some room for improvement.

Let's clap ourselves on the back here. Maybe we can get a "certified non-sexist internet site" button or the like. That doesn't mean it's not a good discussion to have.

Do note that I never singled out HBT. Being the largest homebrewing community online, I was rather hoping that this would be the best sort of place for this kind of discussion.

I already clearly stated that their IS sexism that occurs in home brewing, but not even close to the levels that is happens in the rest of society. Does that make it right? No. Again, there will always be some of us who do not do the right thing. And I agree that it is a good discussion to have. But you have stereotyped the entire group of homebrewers when you say our culture needs to change.

You just commented that this is the largest homebrewing community online, and yet 99% of us, including multiple women (who, believe it or not, are highly active in their local home brewing communities as well, not just HBT) disagree with your opinion that the homebrewing culture is sexist. But I guess reddit would know more about our community.... Seems like you only want to take in information that supports your opinions.

Next time you want the opinion of the homebrewing community, I guess dont ask for it on the biggest web based homebrewing community? :confused:

It also seems to me that your issue is with The Brewing Network and the ads they run. I really dont ever use that website so I have not seen that for myself. Why not write them an email before you chastise an entire group of people like you have today? That is one company out of hundreds, if not thousands, of quality home brew related companies that have nothing but utmost respect for any and all homebrewers, gender aside.

No. I realize that I am new here, but I do not think you can get off the hook like that. The people here who are active and care about this community have almost universally agreed that you are full of crap by making assumptions that because there may be a small group of sexist people in homebrewing, that the whole culture(and everyone in it) is sexist. No one here is particularly hard-headed on this issue except you.

Do we have a way here to mark a link like this as "clickbait" so that we can show our non-support of clickbait?

*BAMF* Aaaaaand I just had to pop in here! Not a female. Nip shots are awesome. That being said, some of the best advice, recipes, support and inspiration that I have received from HBT and locally (@Hello!) have been from women. Additional shouts out to @Yooper, @Melana, @Temptd2. And it had nothing to do with their gender. Props to the ladies of HBT.

It also seems to me that your issue is with The Brewing Network and the ads they run. Why not write them an email before you chastise an entire group of people like you have today? That is one company out of hundreds, if not thousands, of quality home brew related companies that have nothing but utmost respect for any and all homebrewers, gender aside.

Too many people think TBN represents all homebrewers.....

I'll just leave it at that.

Another war on women conspiracy? I too have never seen nor heard any comment or action to warrant concern. All who want to participate are welcomed.

Another war on women conspiracy? I too have never seen nor heard any comment or action to warrant concern. All who want to participate are welcomed.
My sentiments exactly!
On another note: I just looked at the stats for this thread ..... 196 look-sees and 195 replies :rockin:
Looks kinda like everyone who takes a look at this thread wants to at least get a word in edgewise :D:cool:

Can't tell if serious…

I was seriously kidding with my post to you. Well not the fat part, but everything else about hurting my soul...I have no soul. You can't hurt it. :D

I wasn't intending to tell him off, I do apologize if that is how it came off. I just disagree with most points he was making and also felt bad that male home brewers are somehow seen this way at all.

Wait, you are a Ginger?

Dammit! These acronyms are too confusing. I thought a NOMB was "I can has cheezburger cat" reference.

It made more sense to me the other way.

Grammar police post, but SWMBO and i guess NOMB are initialisms not acronyms. Acronyms are initialisms that you pronounce as a word. just sayin.

I don't know if I would go that far. Okay, I will say that HBT is one of the more neutral/understanding internet sites I have been on. Sure you can expect the occasional misogynistic remark, welcome to real life. Most are in good fun actually. Agreed, the brewing community is pretty male-centric. So are classic car restoration, meat smoking, grilling, hunting, etc. It is understandable that some hobbies are have a larger representation of one sex over the other. Check any sewing forum, I am fairly sure that it is more female-centric than otherwise. Not to be sexist, but generally speaking brewing is a more male hobby, especially beer brewing. That is what they are called generalizations, because generally they are true. I find this as being one of the most understanding, accepting communities I have experienced. In real life and on the net. Unless you are not legal to brew/drink because we dont want to see the place shut down.

I will say something about reddit. True, I cannot really get into it as it seems a tad too free range with a severe lack of moderation which tends to allow for more... extreme posts. Look at the community and take what it says with a grain of salt. Some communities you expect more extreme thinking/talk from, some are more moderate. That is the nice thing about here, it seems that our members are more understanding and accepting and less "OMG FU!!!!". I am not saying that reddit doesnt have a point, its just that communities seem to form around common beliefs, and the common belief here seems to be more based around the spreading of knowledge than being a boys club.

All of my experiences in life with homebrewing, telling people I brew my own, and google searches have yielded nothing but acceptance for all, and not just be gender related. Who cares what you brew, you brew. Okay, maybe there is some stigma, oftentimes joking against macrobrews andhipsters that you will find. Macro anything tends to be acceptable to poke fun at, and as for hipsters... well, that (self proclaimed) lifestyle thrives on not doing what is mainstream, and as a result doesnt care if most like how they do things. It seems that those who are more crafty and DIY are more apt to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Also, before my rambling goes on too long, historically, brewing in many cultures has been "womens work". Should we chauvinistic males ask forgiveness for intruding on women's domain?

My sentiments exactly!
On another note: I just looked at the stats for this thread ..... 196 look-sees and 195 replies :rockin:
Looks kinda like everyone who takes a look at this thread wants to at least get a word in edgewise :D:cool:

The "views" aren't live updated on this site.....check back tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back