Homebrewing Needs a Woman's Touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
I've turned this over in my mind for a while, and today, I finally made a blog post about it.

tl;dr - I think that it's high time we take a long, hard look at homebrewing culture and make a point to be more welcoming to women.

tl;dr - I think that it's high time we take a long, hard look at homebrewing culture and make a point to be more welcoming to women.

Give it up, Yooper won't date you. ;)

I don't think my electric BK would look better with a lace doily underneath it.

No, but the beer may be drinkable for once. :D

I have to disagree with most points you made in your blog post. I dont think the home brewing community is sexist just because women home brewers are a minority. There could be many reasons why women dont home brew as much as men do but I certainly dont think its because men try to exclude them. And where have you ever seen on HBT that men home brewers have talked down to women home brewers based on gender alone? IF anything, I feel that we respect them more just for being a woman home brewer in a male dominated hobby. Look at the love @yooper @Melana and @hello get (just to name a few) solely for being women in this hobby. Maybe these things are happening other places, but its certainly doesnt happen often here. You have to remember, there will always be people that dont do the right thing. That doesnt mean everyone isnt doing the right thing.

Also, SWMBO shouldnt be looked at as a bad thing, if anything its great. What is wrong with saying that you take your wife/GF/significant other's opinion very seriously? What is wrong with making sure you dont piss your wife off when brewing? What is wrong with being conscious of their feelings or thoughts about everything, home brewing related or not? If home brewing men really didnt respect women, as you try to portray in your blog post, we wouldnt give a schit if we pissed them off, and that is certainly not the case 99% of the time. Are there people out there who dont respect women as they should be respected who happen to home brew as well? Of course, but to categorize an entire group of people that way is just wrong.

Not sure what your end goal with that post is, but I dont agree with most of it and think you are taking a step in the wrong direction when you stereotype home brewers like this, especially being a home brewer yourself.

I've turned this over in my mind for a while, and today, I finally made a blog post about it.

AHA currently has 5 women on the governing committee (7 if you count Denny and Justin :cross:). You can always vote for change.

Anyway thanks for the tl;dr I'm not a fan of blog links when I open a forum thread...it's usually just a way for people to drum up traffic...

Anyway thanks for the tl;dr I'm not a fan of blog links when I open a forum thread...it's usually just a way for people to drum up traffic...

I figured this was the case since he didnt have much content to put in this thread, but I read anyway and glad I did.

Lagunitas (Chicago), Temperance (silver in her first year at the GABF for English IPA in 2014) and New Glarus are all run by female brewmasters, or brewster to use the correct nomenclature. Those are just the few that came to my mind right off the bat, but I know there are more examples. Obviously this is a pretty male dominated hobby, but we can't ignore the legions of accomplished female brewers out there. Where would HBT be without Yooper or Billy-Klubb? I love me some lady brewers! :ban::ban::ban:

It's why I usually try to do a tl;dr if I'm linking a post. I make zero dollars, zero cents on your click, so it's no skin off my back if you read the post or not. If we can discuss here, that's cool.

Thanks for the feedback. Understand, I'm not saying that "OMG, everybody is this hobby is a sexist pig and there are zero women in it because of that".

What I'm saying is that I feel like there is a culture that needs to be changed. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.

Yeah, you're not part of the problem at all..

It was a joke. Jesus.

No, I don't think that the homebrew community needs to be more "welcoming to women." We're plenty welcoming to anybody that wants to learn how to brew. I haven't witnessed the "blowing a load of customer service on your face" thing and I haven't seen any ads showing a homebrewer with two girls under his arms. But sure, if those things are around then that's rather crass and they shouldn't do that. But it's a free country so if they don't mind losing business...

The SWMBO thing on here shows how many guys are 'whipped, not how we're trying to keep women out of the club. You ever notice that nobody ever uses the term HWMBO on here? I do not wonder why that is.

I don't treat women any differently on here or on brew days or at my brew club meetings than I do the male brewers. If they're expecting different treatment, that's their problem, not mine. None of them have so far.

As for some guys on here hitting on the lady brewers once they find out that they're female, that happens across the entire Internet on every kind of forum you can imagine, so you're not going to be able to stamp that out. I'm sure many women would like to see that happen, and I'd like to see it too, but I highly doubt that we'll ever see that come to pass. Sucks to be them in this respect. It's a heck of a lot worse on video gaming forums. I think female brewers on here have it relatively easy.

To be blunt, I just haven't seen whatever it is your experiencing. I'm not sure if I'm just oblivious or lucky. If this is how you view male home brewers then, I'm sorry. I have to defend them because again, this is absolutely not what I've run into with this hobby. I don't consider it a boys club in a bad way, it is just numbers and the number of women brewers is rising. I feel bad for anyone who thinks this is what is really happening with males and home brewing.

And yet, if you visit any popular online forum for homebrewing, you'll find that female members are all but completely nonexistent.
Really, are you new here? There are indeed a handful of women who are on this site that they are VERY active. Very. Other women who have registered may be less active, but that doesn't mean there has been an unwelcoming tone. I've seen some register to ask about gifts for their significant others and this is a great place to do that. I just can't get behind the whole "non existent" idea there.

Part of the reason behind that, I believe, is due to the culture that is so prevalent among brewers. Terms like SWMBO ("She Who Must Be Obeyed", in reference to one's significant other) litter internet forums.
Truthfully, I never looked at that as anything more than endearing fun. It's no worse or better than saying "happy wife, happy life". But maybe you've seen women turned off from this hobby and site because of that. I can probably follow that, slightly.

Women who post to homebrewing forums are all too often challenged on their content - simply because of their gender - if they can manage to avoid being objectified.
I disagree. Now, I admit I have not been here long nor have I read every single post; however, I would like to say that it may be a stretch to qualify your statement. I've never been challenged here in any other way than a man has been. If I write something, I have yet to have anyone come back and challenge my response. Some have corrected me, because I was wrong and that is what should happen, but challenge me only after I get past being objectified?

It was not obvious that I was a woman until I did an interview. Although my gender is in my profile and has been since day one, it was missed quite a bit. No worries for me, but it happened. Even still, I never once felt as though I was unwelcomed or objectified. Hell, at my age, I just may like it.

Try listening to most of the popular brewing podcasts, and you'll hear ridiculous amounts of locker room humor, casual misogyny, "bros being bros", that sort of thing. Even the sponsors are not immune - one major retailer advertises itself as increasing the buyer's sex appeal (by depicting their customers as the kind of guys who have a willing woman under each arm), another goes so far as to promote themselves as "blowing a warm load of customer service on your face."

Of the few podcasts I have listened to, I have yet to run into this. I am listening to older podcasts though, so that could be it.

I was unaware that there was general anamosity toward female Brewers.

Maybe if you are "brewing the hard way" there is.
There is not. Not as far as I can see. At best, if a new member signs up and introduces herself and her gender is made incredibly obvious (user name or her intro says she's female) then there may be a few more responses to her thread, but frankly, I have never seen any animosity among genders. I've been welcomed here, at the LHBS, at events surrounded around the hobby and so forth.

In fact, the only real rejection I faced as a home brewer was when I met someone, went out on a few dates, he asked about hobbies so I indulged him and the next day I was called a drunk with serious issues if I needed that much beer around me. The times I had seen him I consumed a total of 2 beers to his many...clearly he was all sorts of justified. So that has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with a weird stigma people still seem to attach to this hobby.

...QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. Understand, I['m not saying that "OMG, everybody is this hobby is a sexist pig and there are zero women in it because of that".

What I'm saying is that I feel like there is a culture that needs to be changed. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.

I understand you arent saying that every single home brewer is sexist, but in saying that the culture needs to change is implying that a majority of the community is sexist, and in my opinion is simply not the case. I think the home brewing community is very welcoming and open to everyone, gender aside. Im not sure Ive ever seen anything to suggest otherwise. The customer service comment on your blog is a great example, but again one person or company acting wrongly doesnt imply that a majority are. And even though the customer service remark may be inappropriate, I dont really see that as sexist either.

In fact, the only real rejection I faced as a home brewer was when I met someone, went out on a few dates, he asked about hobbies so I indulged him and the next day I was called a drunk with serious issues if I needed that much beer around me. The times I had seen him I consumed a total of 2 beers to his many...clearly he was all sorts of justified. So that has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with a weird stigma people still seem to attach to this hobby.

Wait, so you are single? ;)

"Hello, is it me you're looking for..."

JOKING! :fro:

Ok now I actually read your blog. Wow. Easy killer. I have never once seen a woman objectified, ridiculed or too thoroughly questioned on this forum because of her gender. Again, I will cite Yooper as a prime example of an upstanding member of HBT, who just happens to be a woman. For that matter, how do you even know the user's gender unless they somehow identify it in their handle? Like, I dunno, "homebrewdad" for example.

The term SWMBO originates from the H. Rider Haggard novel, "She," which was published in 1886! It was then referenced frequently in John Mortimer's series of "Rumpole of the Bailey" short stories as a term of loving endearment for his wife. It isn't new! In fact it's kind of amazing to me that some internet troll was clever enough to come up with it in the first place.

As a homebrew retailer myself, I can assure you that I have never "sprayed a hot load of customer service" all over anyone's face that wasn't a willing participant. And I keep that stuff out of the workplace. In the past year I have noticed a huge trend of ladies coming in to learn to brew. Some of them are accompanied by boyfriends, husbands or girlfriends, but many of them just want to learn for the same reason men do: beer is awesome and it's fun to make. Maybe we should stop worrying about gender distinctions and start just accepting each other as fellow brewers. The best way to achieve gender equality is to stop making gender distinctions. Plus, if I can't make a fart joke when I brew then this is not the America I want to live in.

I think several homebrewers themselves may need a woman's touch, but as for the hobby as a whole, I have no idea. I've been doing this since Christmas, landed here while researching the possibility of doing this about a month prior. I didn't know @hello was female until last week I think.

And just to add to the conversation, the home brew club I am apart of is ran my a young woman. She was not voted president for that reason, but instead was voted in because she is the most qualified for the job. Very outgoing, ambitious, friendly, easy to talk with, and an all around good person. And guess what, her husband is also in the club and brews, and she is not the only female member either. She isnt looked at any differently than any other member in the club either. Most girlfriends and wives actually attend the meeting and enjoy the time with all of us as well. Maybe Kansas is just really progressive. :D

Maybe it’s the Tim Taylor approach to brewing. Three keggles, huge burners, every toy in the book. Yeah right, keep that stuff in the basement, garage, whatever.

I don’t have a garage or a basement. I’m a kitchen brewer and proud of it. I mentioned this to a homebrew buddy and he said ‘yeah a lot of us started that way’. I replied that I don’t have a wife. He said ‘There you go’.

The first time you have a boil-over on the stove, or make the floor sticky you’re banished to the garage. Men enjoy a hobby that involves drinking and setting fire to a big-ass burner, and women enjoy having them out of the house.

IDGARA what gender or religion or whatever you are. Treat me right & I'll treat you right. I burp, fart & crack middle-aged humor jokes like anybody else. Just roll with it around here. There's a lot of humor interspersed with fact-giving on here & it's all part of the fun. It's not meant to be taken seriously.
My wife took to brewing quite easily. But aging & medical problems get in the way sometimes. I loved the fact that at one time, we could sit down in the afternoon to watch youtube videos & sample each other's beers. Talk about beer flavors/aromas/colors we liked or not so much. So I naturally extend that to my replies, whatever on here. After the ladies did the house brewing for so long in centuries past, then the men stepping in (for the wrong reasons sociopolitically), I think it's coming around finally. Hey, it only took a couple hundred years. But I see both genders getting together on here to share information, process beliefs, or just a bit of humor. Why can't we all just get along? :D:mug:

Another perspective from a woman...and this might piss some women off....

I think women are not involved in the BEER homebrewing scene because women (generally speaking, here), especially as we age, seem to fade away from beer and move into wine. You'll see lots of female brewers in the wine/cider/mead forums. Why are women not into, or moving away from, beer? "Beer makes me fat." "Beer makes me full." "Ugh, all those carbs!" "Wine > Beer...duh, higher alcohol!" "Wine night with the girls!" Sound familiar? People brew what people drink.

I'm fairly new to this online community, but I can honestly say I've never felt unwelcomed by the beer community. SWMBO doesn't bother me; I think it's cute. Wish my boyfriend called me that! Does the conversation sometimes lend itself to locker room talk? Sure. But it's never offensive...just more dude-like.

Yeah, it's a boys club, but I've never felt like the door was closed to women. I think the community of brewers represents its community of consumers.

Good topic and convo. I wish more women would brew, though, because I think we're more apt with general culinary skills than most men (again, generally speaking here before y'all burn me down!), and brewing references many of those skills and culinary common sense that are more second-nature to women.

FWIW, I'd rather be a minority in a boys club than a...well, anything...in an overly saturated girls club ;-) Maybe I'm just used to it because I am/was a gigging musician, and that's a boys club, too.

My brewing partner, Felicia, easily brews twice as often as me and is quite involved in the local homebrew club. I definitely feel like Southern Oregon is very accepting of women in the homebrew and craft beer world.

I would love to say "shut up and get back in the brew room and do your womanly job making my beer winch"

Winch.

images

I would love to say "shut up and get back in the brew room and do your womanly job making my beer winch"

I had a buddy come brew with me. Turned out that he was in the kitchen cooking and manning the grill so we could have dinner and I was brewing. Since then I refer to him as kitchen ***** and he refers to me as brew *****. I love it.

Dont wanna seem like I am picking on you, but I kinda am since you starting this whole thing. :D

Are you married? If so, who took the other partners last name? If you both didnt take each others last name, you are both sexist.

The fact of the matter is, life isnt fair. Period. But not respecting women and not being 100% non-sexist (proper grammar here?) are two totally different issues. If your wife took your last name, then you are a little bit sexist. Until you yourself are perfect, you are a hypocrite each and every time you chastise other people about anything. Something to think about...

Interesting blog - I take no offense you post links here to draw us over there. You forgot to mention those t-shirt ads that frequently show up here on HBT.

As for the Brewing Network content and ads I think that is their gimmick. Going for a bit of the Howard Stern of brewing podcasts.

Driving home listening to BN yesterday I had a brief but entertaining daydream where James Spencer at BBR announced he was changing his format to start including sponsors and how he was just tickled pink to introduce their first sponsor...Adam and Eve. Steve Wilkes jumped in with the reading of the promotional spot including list of DVD categories to choose from.

Dont wanna seem like I am picking on you, but I kinda am since you starting this whole thing. :D

Are you married? If so, who took the other partners last name? If you both didnt take each others last name, you are both sexist.

The fact of the matter is, life isnt fair. Period. But not respecting women and not being 100% non-sexist (proper grammar here?) are two totally different issues. If your wife took your last name, then you are a little bit sexist. Until you yourself are perfect, you are a hypocrite each and every time you chastise other people about anything. Something to think about...

But he did just increase traffic to his blog quite a bit, I bet.

homebrewdad -- i completely agree with all of the points in your post, and this is probably what i like least about the hobby as well. one can make the argument, 'hey, i love my boys' club!' but saying 'there is no bias' is incredibly naive -- just read through this thread.

homebrewdad -- i completely agree with all of the points in your post, and this is probably what i like least about the hobby as well. one can make the argument, 'hey, i love my boys' club!' but all you need to do is read through this thread to see that saying 'there is no bias' is incredibly naive.

Please, elaborate. How are any of us on this thread being biased? We have been nothing but supportive of women in brewing. Maybe you should go back and actually read the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back