Fellowship of the Drink XIII: Nightmare on Doug Street

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fedex will no longer allow me to ship because of the disastrous package to @jerbrew. That a$$hole from Fedex put something on my account. I suspect any time I drop a package off that sounds like it has liquid in it, it will immediately be flagged. I tried recently, they called me to get the package or allow them to open in "sounds like you have wine in the box". Needless to say, no more Fedex.

USPS packages are just not delivered yet. One to @Dade0 is quite behind schedule which is obscure giving it's only crossing a few state lines. It should have arrived by now. Another package to an East Coast friend also was not delivered today. It also doesn't help that USPS is friggin lazy as hell at scanning packages in to their system, so tracking is near useless!

For the dade0 package I actually set a tracer on it, so USPS is going to investigate. If they're going to ding me for shipping booze, that's fine...I just want to know. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal for the first infraction, so for now it's worth the gamble of letting them know the box is MIA in their system.

What if you shipped from another location without using your name to ship? Say ship using swmbo's name. Or your work address instead of home. When I ship its through another business that has a hub and it gets sent under their business.

What if you shipped from another location without using your name to ship? Say ship using swmbo's name. Or your work address instead of home. When I ship its through another business that has a hub and it gets sent under their business.

I was thinking of creating a secondary Fedex account under wife's name with perhaps an arbitrary address (in the event it's linked to the address which seems unrealistic).

Also, I work from home so don't have an alternative address. I could use my old work address though; I don't really care about those people anyways, lol.

Anyways, I have a UPS account now, too :)

I was thinking of creating a secondary Fedex account under wife's name with perhaps an arbitrary address (in the event it's linked to the address which seems unrealistic).

Also, I work from home so don't have an alternative address. I could use my old work address though; I don't really care about those people anyways, lol.

Anyways, I have a UPS account now, too :)
You can use my address for all the **** ups! [emoji39]

With dRumph now..yeah you guys are fuccked! Can someone say Federal Offence?? @TwistedGray @Scturo
Screenshot_2018-07-26-19-13-18.jpeg

Last edited:
A buddy of mine works for the USPS and said it’s the best way to ship bc it’s there in 2-3 days. They literally can’t open the mail cause it’s a felony, so even if your package is leaking and wet they will deliver it. So no chance of them ever find out what you are shipping. He is a beer trader himself and that’s all he uses

A buddy of mine works for the USPS and said it’s the best way to ship bc it’s there in 2-3 days. They literally can’t open the mail cause it’s a felony, so even if your package is leaking and wet they will deliver it. So no chance of them ever find out what you are shipping. He is a beer trader himself and that’s all he uses
Mmmm...interesting...
Screenshot_2018-07-26-19-26-51.jpeg

So if I write "Do not open because this contains my best home brew I'm sharing with some dude". They can't open it even tho both shipping AND sharing with someone who you didn't brew with ARE illegal?

The USPS comment is not accurate. They can and will open suspect packages; however, they do have to get a warrant to do so. It's a tedious precise, sure, and unlikely that they'll harass someone over a box of beer.

Well, the lovely post office lady in Dade0's hometown called. She was super nice, and suggested I reach out to my local post office as it was never scanned once it left. "Did it even leave?" she said. Anyways, the saga continues...ughhhh stupid USPS!

So the package to Dade0 is still MIA, but the other package was delivered today (albeit a day late). Heading to USPS now to demand the location of the beer! %$#&, I mean BBQ sauce :)

Good luck! Hopefully Doug hasn’t sent them a mug shot of you. If you see your picture hanging up at the USPS location, just turn around and leave! Haha

Keep us posted.

Just going off what he told me. I’m not a usps worker. So take it for what it’s worth ‍♂️

In my experience, that’s not entirely true. A few years back I decided to sell off my comic book collection. I must have sent a hundred boxes through my local post office. I never told them what I was shipping, only that it was paper goods. And one day one of the tellers recommended that I get insurance on a box because my shipment is valuable. So they definitely open boxes. I never lost a box from USPS until last week. So I can’t complain too much.

Sorry to stick my nose in here. Anyways, @PianoMan invite ted me to the Dougfest.

In my experience, that’s not entirely true. A few years back I decided to sell off my comic book collection. I must have sent a hundred boxes through my local post office. I never told them what I was shipping, only that it was paper goods. And one day one of the tellers recommended that I get insurance on a box because my shipment is valuable. So they definitely open boxes. I never lost a box from USPS until last week. So I can’t complain too much.

Sorry to stick my nose in here. Anyways, @PianoMan invite ted me to the Dougfest.

They may have looked into you because you aren’t licensed for retail?
I’m guessing warrants are granted by a postmaster or something so probably not so hard to come by if anything is deemed potentially suspicious. I guess maybe saying “paper goods” was not convincing enough for somebody.

So to answer the age old question "What happens when a beer bottle busts in a USPS shipment?"....

Your box showed up via mail lady with a Hazmat tag and double crated/wrapped in a bag. Sorry we're in a hurry and didnt get a good picture of it. Stunk like all get out. Also the stout is only 1/4 full. It's the damn heat. It was probably 130F in the box.

Screenshot_2018-07-28-12-37-02.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-07-28-12-36-54.jpeg

Wow, no freakin way! Only 4 bottles survived? It was as hot as hell that week I shipped. Anyways I would've replaced those bottles. So you got another box coming. I'm glad to see that the amber ale made it, I didn't have enough for the second box.

I'm guessing the BDSA is the culprit, I've have a couple of bottles bomb on me. Wonder how @GaBrewZoo's box is doing?

I only saw another in pieces. 5 total? I'll take a pic of the Hazmat tag. I was busting up so hard forgot how to operate a cell phone camara.

After my first incident, went to vacuum packing everything even tho that's not a guarantee neither.

List of Participants:
1. JamesonFan
2. imasickboy
3. baldm79
4. PianoMan (offer submitted)
5. TwistedGray
6. jimyson (offer submitted)
7. orionol73 (offer submitted)
8. TravelingLight
9. fourfarthing
10. afro_lou
11. CTownBrewer
12. GaBrewZoo
13. EcuPirate07
14. Thorrak
15. 6midgets
16. LoneTreeFarms
17. Santo
18. wstbrewing
19. brandtrepair
20. j1laskey

It's offer week, I know there's some people out there who still want to get into this. I'm looking at you @RevKev. :)
No, and it won't let me edit it. But here are the relevant dates:

Current Timeline (subject to change if by popular demand)
Wednesday, July 11 - Create thread for Round XIII
Sunday, August 5 - All photos & final submissions due
Monday, August 6 - List of offers posted by 11:59pm EST. Order of picks revealed via random drawing exactly 7pm EST.
Sunday, August 12 - Pick day. 1st pick will be 7:00pm EST. All others will be in a 5min interval, contingent upon the rules above.
Welllllllllllllll I'm sufficiently tipsy. I'm in, no clue what my offer is but sure that's a problem for tomorrow Kev

Back