Fellowship of the Drink XI: Lunar Landings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double up the cans.

Brilliant. I’ve never used one of those boxes but was very strongly considering one for a side trade that involves a lot of cork/cage bottles. Any of you guys have a good source for them? I’ve always just wrapped everything individually and put it in a regular box...

@gromitdj killing it again on the beerz appreciate the extras!
IMG_0307.jpg

I think I saw you were heading out July 15th, I would imagine I'll get it set up within the next week or so for an early to mid-June deadline. Will that give you enough time?

I just went through all the offers and see who has sent and who has received. By my count, I think 10 people have yet to receive their package (as of the time of this post).

Who has yet to ship their package? Can we get a list of shame? Lol j/k peeps

I’d be on the list, I think. I’ve shipped two out of three. The last one might have gotten delayed until next week; but, the beer is on its way already so maybe I’ve technically shipped?

Brilliant. I’ve never used one of those boxes but was very strongly considering one for a side trade that involves a lot of cork/cage bottles. Any of you guys have a good source for them? I’ve always just wrapped everything individually and put it in a regular box...

Not a good source, but Amazon has them. Pricey but I think worth it for bigger trades.

@pshankstar

It definitely looks like something crazy is going on. I doubt you'll see this tomorrow.

View attachment 568279

No worries bud! I’m not worried unless it’s Friday and it says it’s still in MT. Then you should get a refund and more. Who knows maybe some magic will happen tonight and at 7am it’s on the truck to make it to my doorstep tomorrow.

No worries bud! I’m not worried unless it’s Friday and it says it’s still in MT. Then you should get a refund and more. Who knows maybe some magic will happen tonight and at 7am it’s on the truck to make it to my doorstep tomorrow.

I hope so. I was hoping it just wouldn’t update again until tomorrow saying delivered. The back and forth crap in Billings has me scratching my head. I hope nothing broke.

So.... FotD X, I did @SailorJerry an unexpected solid and bombed him with some Boston IPA goodies. I actually got his offer and we decided later to side trade. Let’s just say he f’d up the dollar limit.

This is a bomb. Cans are two deep and that range is an 8 burner 48” range....

IMG_3851.jpg

Duuuudeee.

Such a unique IPA I quite enjoyed it too, I wish I got more [emoji58]
So.... FotD X, I did @SailorJerry an unexpected solid and bombed him with some Boston IPA goodies. I actually got his offer and we decided later to side trade. Let’s just say he f’d up the dollar limit.

View attachment 568319

Duuuudeee.
Mother of God.
982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpeg

Jesus holy fu**. I told @pshankstar I didn’t have any “street cred” with this group so I wanted to make a splash on my initial offering; but, you guys are setting the bar stratospherically high.

View attachment 568319

Duuuudeee.

First off, as a man who cooks, that top has me all kinds of flustered. 2nd, if you can’t drink all that I think we can help [emoji12]

Jesus holy fu**. I told @pshankstar I didn’t have any “street cred” with this group so I wanted to make a splash on my initial offering; but, you guys are setting the bar stratospherically high.

This isn’t high. This is mutually assured destruction. I am decommissioning my nukes.

Drive up. Bring Burial. We will cook and drink and get dirty looks from the ladies.

I’m in the same boat. Like I said earlier - I do all of my own meat processing and run the smoker almost daily (pork steaks and boneless chicken thighs tonight). Also super jealous.

As for the mutual destruction, I’m not “done”.

@pshankstar - prepare your liver, sir. You’re about to benefit wildly from other peoples’ generosity.

View attachment 568319

Duuuudeee.
For a Hawkeye, he's an alright guy!

Well....i will say that there should be some sort of limit, and should the reciever get "extras" they should be labeled and not photographed ....maybe just a pm'd thank you or else people will feel really obligated to ship a **** ton of extras to "keep up with the jones".

For example, i only shipped 5 bottles to my reciever, but those 5 together were well over $80, the last one i participated in, i sent maybe 10 beers, but 4 of those were $12 bombers.

Having that said, this round I am perfectly happy and satisfied and feel as though my offer was worth it to the reciever, but i dont want him/her to be upset if he/she sent off 12 and only recieved 5. I dont want him/her to feel as though they were cheated.

Not that extras arent awsome to get, i just dont want to scare away potential new players with the feeling of having to send tons of extras.

Dude. That range took three years, a reno budget larger than my first condo purchase, two fired contractors, two squirrels and one bird living in my kitchen ... before we installed it.

Its sexy.

Gawd dayum. If I had that range, I’d floccin sleep on that thing. Gorgeous!

Gawd dayum. If I had that range, I’d floccin sleep on that thing. Gorgeous!

Thank you. I haven’t slept on it yet (SWMBO is very tolerant), but it has worked wonders for me.

Probably the beat thing I have bought in my life other than an engagement ring.

Sidenote, I can (and am allowed to) boil up to 7 gallons or wort on the front right burner. Yeah, good life.

Well....i will say that there should be some sort of limit, and should the reciever get "extras" they should be labeled and not photographed ....maybe just a pm'd thank you or else people will feel really obligated to ship a poopy ton of extras to "keep up with the jones".

For example, i only shipped 5 bottles to my reciever, but those 5 together were well over $80, the last one i participated in, i sent maybe 10 beers, but 4 of those were $12 bombers.

Having that said, this round I am perfectly happy and satisfied and feel as though my offer was worth it to the reciever, but i dont want him/her to be upset if he/she sent off 12 and only recieved 5. I dont want him/her to feel as though they were cheated.

Not that extras arent awsome to get, i just dont want to scare away potential new players with the feeling of having to send tons of extras.

I agree with this. If you give a lot of extras it should be as a bonus not as an expectation. The core offer is the key, the rest is literally just what somebody wants to throw in a box and shouldn’t be viewed as more than a flippant gesture of gratitude if anything.

Well....i will say that there should be some sort of limit, and should the reciever get "extras" they should be labeled and not photographed ....maybe just a pm'd thank you or else people will feel really obligated to ship a poopy ton of extras to "keep up with the jones".

Yeah, it’s a tough balance... I’m glad we have the 86oz rule now for the main drawing, and I agree that some of the boxes can get pretty crazy, but that’s half the fun, right? I do agree, if there’s also a secondary side trade involved, just make sure that’s clear. I mean, once I FINALLY get my box + side trade together for @Boomer, it’s gonna be epic. But you all know what my main offer was. Speaking of which, those epic rarity bottles are so hard to monetize, especially in these FOTDs! I mean, earlier on I did a Rare Barrel offer, which are expensive on their own, but also not available anywhere but their brewery, and/or to their club members! Plus I included club only swag! That was a very high dollar/low bottle count offer...

Anyway, I’ve lost what point I was going to make. FOTD foreva!!!

We've gone round and round with that over the last year. We came up with an 86oz limit as an offer. Some can send extra and some can not. But trully it's an individual sender thing. No, zero, nada obligation to send more. In my case, I like people to experience Central Texas beers, good or bad. Also I may happen to have some decent home brew on hand so out it goes. Please dont be discouraged!!

I hear you; but, I’m gonna politely disagree. If someone wants to send extras, why should it be hidden?

Being new to this, it is a bit overwhelming; but, it’s cool seeing how far above and beyond most people go. It also seems like no one in this group of guys is going to get pissed if they send out a bunch and don’t get a bunch in return.

I’m happy to get what was in the offer, anything above that is simply extra. However, I feel like if the person is going to send a bunch of extras, it should be made public so folks know they’re doing it.

Now, that doesn’t mean just because you only send 5 bottles you’re some schmuck who isn’t worth trading with. If you sent five bottles of Bud Light, yeah, you’re a schmuck. But if you’re sending five bottles that are quality bottles and hard to come by, that’s perfectly acceptable, at least in my eyes. Nothing in the rules say you have to do anything more than that so there shouldn’t be any negativity associated with it - and it’s important to point out from a new guy - it doesn’t seem like there is. The only reason I’m making it a point to send @pshankstar a bunch of extra goodies is because I’m new in the group and want to gain trust.

When I was contemplating joining this thing, I went back and looked through all of the old ones and saw what the norm was and had absolutely no reservations about whether or not to join. And, that said, I’m not positive I could be any happier. I’ve got a few side trades going on and feel like I’ve met a group of very similar guys. I’ve even joined a bottle club in another state because of this thread and one of the members in this trade was willing to (graciously) act as a proxy for me to pick up the monthly release and mail it to me.

I don’t mean to sound disrespectful; but, If someone is considering joining this thing and feels overwhelmed by the amount of beer being traded, there are several other trades going on here on HBT that don’t seem to have quite the level of “extras” associated with each trade.

This group seems more like a group of friends willing to spend a little extra because they like each other, not because it’s an implied obligation.

Just my two cents.

Just my .02
I can see that, but anything extra whether it be a side trade or not I hope it doesn't scare off any potential traders! This is part of the fun of FoTD you never know what you're going to get, I don't think anybody is put off by offers of lesser volumes of what's received versus given. Not me at least

Back