Your most-hated song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is my understanding that there are only 2 or 3 song writers (if they can be called that) generating the majority of the "hit" songs these days, and it shows. All of this generations songs are candidates for being the worst. How can you elevate one above another for this dishonor when they all sound so much alike.

Last edited:
First the "genres i just can't stand in general"
-Commercial Rap, especially Gansta or sexist stuff anything about "bling".
-R'nB that isn't rythm and blues...(aka modern Pop rnb).

As for bands/songs..
-5 finger death punch...emo for hillbillies.
-Abba, I get that they were revolutionary, but i think they're revolting.
-Any modern "dance" that has edgy lyrics, such as "so am I"

Just want to say how much I dislike hearing any music by phil collins/genesis.

You have to go back a few more years. Genesis stopped being interesting after Peter Gabriel left.

81GkXoHB0bL._SY355_.jpg

61GgKLtMONL._SX355_.jpg

61SrFCetYvL._SY355_.jpg

As for bands/songs..
-5 finger death punch...emo for hillbillies.

I’m all about some FFDP. Does that mean I should be painting my finger nails black and getting my lip pierced?
This actually has potential. My kids only thought I embarrassed them before, maybe it’s time to take it up a level!

When you are a Dead Head there are no bad songs. Hell, I don't even recognize the band's you all list here, much less the songs.
Even a dead head has some songs he would rather not hear. I know I can think of a few that I didn't want to hear as a encore (US Blues comes to mind).

As a proud American I'm glad to see that no one has said "the Star Spangled Banner".

For me, no rap crap, not a fan of the disarray called jazz, the big band era or grunge.
Give me rock, prog rock, classical or maybe even industrial or electronica.
  • Saga
  • Disturbed
  • Rush
  • British invasion rock
  • Heavy classical

Boy, I could make a long list of artists that I can throw on this list....

Dave Matthews "crash" ranks right up there with "mombo #5" and "macerrena", but this one takes the cake:

I am now cursed to be mmm bonk bonk, chick chick-chick-ahhh for the rest of the night.(sorry if you do too)

Red Solo Cup - kill that one to death. A lot. Along with most modern "country" though most of it is pretty much rock N roll with a hat and singing through their nose.
Most top 40 stuff.
anything by Celine Dion or Barbara Streisand
Not necessarily what my kiddo likes but the ones he listens to all the time - dinosaurs marching, wheels on the bus, mercifully not baby shark...
Even some stuff I like generally I can't deal with on occasion.

As a proud American I'm glad to see that no one has said "the Star Spangled Banner
I don't hate the song, but I do hate the disservice most of the sh!tty pop singers do to it when they sing at opening ceremonies. Its like a challenge to see how many extra notes and ranges they can hit with blatant disregard for its meaning.

Having said this, one of the best performance I've seen was Boys 2 Men at a 49er game circa mid 90s. I was expecting something atrocious but they gave our anthem the respect it deserves. I sort of tolerate their music because of that performance.

Rant warning......All music sucks when it's forced upon you by some d-bag. I'm pretty sure if you look up the definition of maturity in Websters, it'll say "when you realize that nobody wants to hear your crappy music".

True story- I was camping with the family a few weeks ago. About four campsites from us was an older couple, maybe in their '70s. During the day they would blare some type of Neil Diamond stuff. WTF?
A We are camping. Nobody should be blaring music. Doesn't matter if it's death metal, rap or crappy elevator music
B I'm pretty sure they are the type of people who would moan and groan if some one was cranking up rap or hip hop.

About two days a week I commute to work by bike and I've noticed other cyclists have blue tooth speakers. Don't care what they are playing, it's a *****ey thing to do. Doesn't matter if you're blaring from a car, bike, airplane, scooter or boat. Nobody thinks you are cool or are jamming out with you as you go by.

So even if I like your achy breaky song (I don't), be respectful and don't force it upon others.

Rant over. You're welcome.

Lol. I just went to a Hootie concert where the owner was Barenaked Ladies. It was a hell of a show.

TBF is was more of a BnL fan back in that era, but Hootie was pretty good.
It's my understanding he's awesome. He plays at all the PGA events. I think they love him. Iirc he was inaugurated into PGA hof recently? I like bnl too, alot. Was trying to find an old acoustic of them doing be my Yoko ono. Couldn't find it, dang it.

Any of you guys remember Barry Manilow? "Mandy" or "I Write the Songs" both used to make me physically ill.
Man, it's almost painful to listen to manilow, have to agree here. Bolton too, maybe more so. Definetly more so.

Certainly there are many songs that I dislike, poorly written or poorly performed/recorded. The worst of them, the song of least merit that might as well be spoken by a soulless computer is “achy breaky heart” I absolutely hate that song.

Certainly there are many songs that I dislike, poorly written or poorly performed/recorded. The worst of them, the song of least merit that might as well be spoken by a soulless computer is “achy breaky heart” I absolutely hate that song.
This brought to mind 'flirtin' with disaster ' by Molly Hatchet.
Never heard of them?! You are lucky.

It's my understanding he's awesome. He plays at all the PGA events. I think they love him. Iirc he was inaugurated into PGA hof recently? I like bnl too, alot. Was trying to find an old acoustic of them doing be my Yoko ono. Couldn't find it, dang it.

I've seen BnL live 3 times, twice with Steve, the last time after he left.

On topic, I listen to about anything but have a deep dislike of about 99% of "country" music. I've also determined that most everything I can hear on any pop related channels from 2000 to present is almost unlistenable.

Rant warning......All music sucks when it's forced upon you by some d-bag. I'm pretty sure if you look up the definition of maturity in Websters, it'll say "when you realize that nobody wants to hear your crappy music".
When I was in college, I'd spend the summers working in an Alaska salmon cannery where the crew leaders got to pick the music. They had only brought a couple of tapes each and we were working 16 hour days, 7 days a week, so we got sick of all of them pretty fast. However, Garth Brooks No Fences album and Body Count's Body Count album definitely stood out from the rest.

Boy, I could make a long list of artists that I can throw on this list....

Dave Matthews "crash" ranks right up there with "mombo #5" and "macerrena", but this one takes the cake:

I am now cursed to be mmm bonk bonk, chick chick-chick-ahhh for the rest of the night.(sorry if you do too)

I'll just leave this here

Got another - heard it by the radio by accident - "We built this City" by Starship. Now there is the mark of a once band that was good struggling for relevance and dying a miserable death.....

When I was in college, I'd spend the summers working in an Alaska salmon cannery where the crew leaders got to pick the music. They had only brought a couple of tapes each and we were working 16 hour days, 7 days a week, so we got sick of all of them pretty fast. However, Garth Brooks No Fences album and Body Count's Body Count album definitely stood out from the rest.
Ha! Long ago I worked on a loading dock. Several times arguments over control of the radio almost lead to blows.

A friend and I actually have a podcast about songs we hate, though I'll refrain from promoting it here as I don't know what the rules around such things are. Currently high in our "worst song" power rankings are Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - "Home" and Mumford and Sons - "The Banjolin Song."

On my own personal "most hated" rankings would also be Cake - "Sheep Go To Heaven," Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Off With Your Head," and George Ezra's "Budapest." I could go on at length as to what I hate about each of these songs but I'll spare you all the paragraphs - I genuinely love talking trash about music I hate, though.
I'm not sure if I should thank you, but I do t know any of those songs and so now I must listen to them.

Akin to "taste this, it's terrible!"

Back