Your most-hated song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if I should thank you, but I do t know any of those songs and so now I must listen to them.

Akin to "taste this, it's terrible!"
Here's my short summaries -
"Home" is a vulgar blend of affected fake southern accents (they're from Los Angeles), off-key whistling, vaguely incestuous lyrics, weird storytelling among an undetermined number of "singers," and incongruous horn parts. Wretched tune.

The lyrics to "The Banjolin Song" are mostly "wha huhhhhhhhh aahooooo hhohhhhhhhh wuhhhhhhhh huhhhhhhhh ohhhh haaaaaaaaaaaahhhh uhh whooohhhahahhhhhhh"

"Sheep Go to Heaven" is Cake attempting to make a jaunty pop tune. The results are as terrible as expected.

"Off With Your Head" removes the one redeeming feature Yeah Yeah Yeahs had - catchy, punky instrumentation - and replaces it with an incredibly simple, generic synth line. You're left with Karen O yelping "DANCE, DANCE, DANCE 'TILL YOU'RE DEAD" in a strained, nasal honk over music that would have been passe' in a swingers club in Berlin in 1994.

"Budapest" is some guy doing his best Bob Dylan impression - again, in a fake accent as he is from London - interspersed with owl sounds. Horrid.

I don't hate the song, but I do hate the disservice most of the sh!tty pop singers do to it when they sing at opening ceremonies. Its like a challenge to see how many extra notes and ranges they can hit with blatant disregard for its meaning.

Having said this, one of the best performance I've seen was Boys 2 Men at a 49er game circa mid 90s. I was expecting something atrocious but they gave our anthem the respect it deserves. I sort of tolerate their music because of that performance.
Proud to be an American, sung by a Canadian, that really sucks.

One of the best renditions of SSB was sung by Idol winner Jorden Sparks at the Cardinal's Championship game, not sure of the year. But it was the game right before the super bowl. I actually bought it on ITunes back in the day.

Certainly there are many songs that I dislike, poorly written or poorly performed/recorded. The worst of them, the song of least merit that might as well be spoken by a soulless computer is “achy breaky heart” I absolutely hate that song.

I am with you on "Achy Breaky Heart". I just cringe when I hear that one!

John

I'm from the 70s & 80s & love all the classic rocks. Love the Eagles, Zep, Skynyrd, Deep Purple... all of it

"Hotel California ", "Stairway to Heaven ", "Free Bird", "Smoke on the Water " all great songs, some of the greatest songs in rock history

But I swear I would live a happy life if I never hear any of them ever again

Wards Cove Ekuk, 1991-94
Off topic

Homer 1977 - 78 no limit on hours. You could work as long as you could stand. First 8 hours straight time, next 8 X 1.5 and anything longer X2. I pulled more than one 24 to 36 hour stint. Cant remember the name of the cannary but was just down the road from Lands End.

Back on topic. YMCA Village People.

Oh dear God, this is going to ruin my weekend now. These guys are local here BTW, as you can tell by our flat, nasal, Great Lakes accent on full display. No shame indeed.

Really? Most of my favorite songs are mentioned in this thread! How about "You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone? Or anything by ABBA. "Mamma Mia" and "Nikita" are particularly insidious. The late 70s were truly the worst of times for music, though current output (like in the last 20 years) is truly giving it a run for its money.

Last edited:
The late 70s were truly the worst of times for music, though current output (like in the last 20 years) is truly giving it a run for its money.

That kind of depends on whether or not you were actually around in the late 70s.

I looked up the Billboard Top 100 for 1979. The number one song, for the year, was My Sharona by The Knack (a one hit wonder). Donna Summer had 5 entries in the top 100 that year, and about a third of the songs were disco or disco-ish (Gloria Gaynor, The Bee Gees, The Village People, etc.). Another third, or so, were easy listening/adult contemporary (Barbra Streisand, Peaches and Herb, Melissa Manchester, Nicolette Larson, etc.). The rest were country crossovers (Kenny Rogers, Neil Diamond, Charlie Daniels, etc.) and rock (Clapton, Cheap Trick, Dire Straits, Foreigner, etc.).

I found another list of the top 100 songs of 1979 based on what people today are listening to on oldies radio, jukeboxes, and digital downloads. That list sounded like the playlist of any of several classic rock stations that I listen to. There were a couple of disco songs on that list, but most of it was Bob Seger, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Foreigner, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, etc.

Based on those two lists, it appears that what people were listening to in the late 70s was a lot different from what people today are listening to from the late 70s.

Afternoon delight. :(

I know what it's about, but yeah, this is on my least favorite song list, too. I don't know why. It just is.

Metallica "Whisky in the Jar"

Add most country music past about 1988.

When I am feeling particularly evil, I play Numa Numa for my wife...

Try it with misheard lyrics.

First the "genres i just can't stand in general"
-Commercial Rap, especially Gansta or sexist stuff anything about "bling".
-R'nB that isn't rythm and blues...(aka modern Pop rnb).

As for bands/songs..
-5 finger death punch...emo for hillbillies.
-Abba, I get that they were revolutionary, but i think they're revolting.
-Any modern "dance" that has edgy lyrics, such as "so am I"

Rap went to crap in the 1990s. RnB isn't anymore.

5 Finger, Avenged Seven Fold and the like all suck.
I don't have much opinion on modern dance because it's such crap.
ABBA ROCKS!

Any of you guys remember Barry Manilow? "Mandy" or "I Write the Songs" both used to make me physically ill.

Not a Manilow fan, but "I Write the Songs" came on the radio the other day and I cranked it!

Sounds like somebody has a case of the Monday's !

I like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dplpWIpofHI

(as far as tinnitus goes, i have it bad too...i don't hear songs just static, and i imagine myself around a bunch of crack addicts/meth heads, and throw homebrew at them, lol)

edit: damn i was still on page two....

My daughter was chasing a fly yesterday morning throwing "karate chops" at it. That led into her mom and I singing 'Kung Fu Fighting' on and off all day.

Woke up and is still bouncing round up there...

Damn, and I have now completely jumped tracks and the earworm is now 'Bouncing Around the Room' by Phish...

Oh dear God, this is going to ruin my weekend now. These guys are local here BTW, as you can tell by our flat, nasal, Great Lakes accent on full display. No shame indeed.

That's terrible. It reminded me of a quote by Steve Earle:

"The best stuff coming out of Nashville is all by women except for Chris Stapleton. The guys just wanna sing about getting ****ed up. They're just doing hip hop for people who are afraid of black people. I like the new Kendrick Lamar record, so I'll just listen to that."

Afternoon delight, gee, wonder How that 1 didn't catch on. I couldn't make it through the Manilow song. I promise I tried. But that drinkin claws song is really something else. It would be fun to have a mix tape of the songs. Really be the life of a party.

That kind of depends on whether or not you were actually around in the late 70s.

I looked up the Billboard Top 100 for 1979. The number one song, for the year, was My Sharona by The Knack (a one hit wonder). Donna Summer had 5 entries in the top 100 that year, and about a third of the songs were disco or disco-ish (Gloria Gaynor, The Bee Gees, The Village People, etc.). Another third, or so, were easy listening/adult contemporary (Barbra Streisand, Peaches and Herb, Melissa Manchester, Nicolette Larson, etc.). The rest were country crossovers (Kenny Rogers, Neil Diamond, Charlie Daniels, etc.) and rock (Clapton, Cheap Trick, Dire Straits, Foreigner, etc.).

I found another list of the top 100 songs of 1979 based on what people today are listening to on oldies radio, jukeboxes, and digital downloads. That list sounded like the playlist of any of several classic rock stations that I listen to. There were a couple of disco songs on that list, but most of it was Bob Seger, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Foreigner, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, etc.

Based on those two lists, it appears that what people were listening to in the late 70s was a lot different from what people today are listening to from the late 70s.

My first thought was that, in the long run, quality endures as the drivel fades into obscurity, but then I remembered I heard "Gloria" this past week on iHeart 80s...

Baby shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Baby shark

Mommy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Mommy shark

Daddy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Daddy shark

Grandma shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Grandma shark

Grandpa shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Grandpa shark

Baby shark

Mommy shark

Daddy shark

Grandma shark

Grandpa shark

My God! 3.2 Billion views on Youtube? Yes Billion with a B.

My first thought was that, in the long run, quality endures as the drivel fades into obscurity, but then I remembered I heard "Gloria" this past week on iHeart 80s...

I agree. People tend to have an outsized affinity for "older" music, because primarily it's the better music from past times that is still listened to. There are TONS of one-hit wonders, cheesy derivative bands, etc putting out "hits", and most of those simply fade away over time or are listened to as kitschy "period" music of the sort that you get with decade-themed radio stations like iHeart 80s...

Most of today's music sucks. In 30 years, only the good stuff will be remembered.

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something....is there a word stronger than hate?

I'm not a fan of the Beatles at all, but Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is particularly awful, even for them.

I tried, I really tried. I was unable to not listen. You suck for putting that where I could hear it, however you rock at the same time as I’ve now sent it to a dozen of my closest friends. Misery truly does love company.
Hah! I've also spread this to several friends and relatives. Why should I suffer alone?

My favorite part is "The world has gone insane baby monkey"
Just that hook has been looping in my broken brain for the better part of two days now.

A mystery to me is why there isn't any 50s music played anymore? 60s, 70s, etc still get lots of playtime on classic radio stations, but I don't even remember hearing 50s music when I started listening to pop in mid 70s. It is as if what came out in the 50s stayed in the 50s.

Having been around in the fifties - and listening to the occasional echos dying out over the next decade - it's pretty well left for dead wrt music, imo...

Cheers!

because, with a few notable exceptions, 50s music kinda sucked

and the 50s music was all over the 70s... there was American Graffiti, Happy Days was huge, Sha Na Na had a TV show, and punk rock was 50s tunes at double tempo

A mystery to me is why there isn't any 50s music played anymore? 60s, 70s, etc still get lots of playtime on classic radio stations, but I don't even remember hearing 50s music when I started listening to pop in mid 70s. It is as if what came out in the 50s stayed in the 50s.

The people who came of age in the 1950s are in their 80s now. Radio stations (read: their advertisers) are not interested in targeting that demographic.

There is a SiriusXM channel that plays '50s songs, but definitely a niche audience.

The people who came of age in the 1950s are in their 80s now. Radio stations (read: their advertisers) are not interested in targeting that demographic.

There is a SiriusXM channel that plays '50s songs, but definitely a niche audience.

50s on 5. there's also 40s on 4, but I hope that's only available on non-mobile radios

Misfits did Project 1950.

There used to be an AM radio station in Louisiana that played 50s music in the 70s and 80s. The older music in going to fall off and be replaced over time. I hear songs I remember as new that are now on classic rock stations. I don't agree with that. Classic rock is more a genre than a time period.

because, with a few notable exceptions, 50s music kinda sucked

and the 50s music was all over the 70s... there was American Graffiti, Happy Days was huge, Sha Na Na had a TV show, and punk rock was 50s tunes at double tempo

Let's not forget Grease, also. But that is all TV or movies and probably where I heard what little music from the 50s I was exposed to. On the radio, can't really recall hearing any 50s music (or from previous decades for that matter). I do remember stations playing the same hit song over and over again adnauseum , several times an hour. What a terrible time for music listening. And mostly AM to boot.

I do remember 50s on the radio in the 70s. we called it the "oldies" station and it definitely wasn't anything I listened to.

I listened to stations that played current-at-the-time rock, but they would also play stuff from no earlier than maybe 1965. stuff known nowadays as Classic Rock & what I still listen to.

because I'm old. I still crank the car stereo up to max, but not the radio anymore. I have ALL my music on a thumb drive plugged into my car.

or listen to Beer Radio & other podcasts related to this Thing of Ours™

Back