What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished products: Lemon-Blueberry Pound Cake...turned out extremely well. Moist, dense, and great flavor. Dad's Rolls...this is about the third or fourth time I've made these and they're really good. I'm not sure where my Dad got the recipe originally or why they are shaped the way they are, but they are a part of my childhood. Unfortunately, as many times as Dad made them, at 89 years old, he doesn't remember ever having made them. Ah well, blessed that he is still fairly sharp...if this is what he forgets, then no big deal.
@Staestc This daughter is 14 today and my son turns 12 next month...but my grandbaby momma is 28 (and married!).

Dad's Rolls look like Parkerhouse rolls. Awesome!

I made a wild rice, bacon, mushroom, and caramelized onion stuffing to go in the duck and the Cornish game hens(my dad made the request for turducken and he bought them instead of chickens).

FWIW, this was the first time I've seen(in person) or eaten turducken. Is bacon supposed to be included? Also, next time I'm going to go with my gut and take the skin off the duck. It didn't render the way I was led to believe it would and ended up a flabby layer in the middle that was kind of a turn off.

I've never had it and was just joking. Looked awesome though.

Finished products: Lemon-Blueberry Pound Cake...turned out extremely well. Moist, dense, and great flavor. Dad's Rolls...this is about the third or fourth time I've made these and they're really good. I'm not sure where my Dad got the recipe originally or why they are shaped the way they are, but they are a part of my childhood. Unfortunately, as many times as Dad made them, at 89 years old, he doesn't remember ever having made them. Ah well, blessed that he is still fairly sharp...if this is what he forgets, then no big deal.
@Staestc This daughter is 14 today and my son turns 12 next month...but my grandbaby momma is 28 (and married!).

That cake looks fantastic!

An old problem that's easily remedied. Just fry off the duck before wrapping it in the turkey. A good fifteen minutes worth of rendering and browning inside a skillet results in duck skin that is not only thin and completely tender, but also adds some flavor to the mix.

I had that thought also. I think I'll do that next time instead of taking it off.

Smoking some bacon. Honey, maple, savory garlic and thyme, salt pork

1457809482768-536542189.jpg

Bonus - duck-fat already in a pan, waiting for some potatoes!

:D

Duck fat is always good! I have a butcher shop close to the house that sells rendered duck fat by the pound. I buy it frequently enough that the guys asked me the last time what I do with it. I told them I use it for everything I can think of:rocking:. Love me some duck fat. I worked in a steak house 5 years ago and we made a Kobe hollandaise with the rendered fat. After we rendered it in house of course..it was amazing. Especially when used to make and Oscar style steak with house cured pork belly, asparagus, and jumbo lump crab meat.

That cake looks fantastic!

It was delicious! And I used an old two-piece tube pan that my Mother gave me several years ago...probably dates back to the 1940's and was given to her by a previous generation. Technically, I think it's an Angel Food Cake pan, but it works great for pound cakes.

IMG_20160311_104400711.jpg

IMG_20160311_113145652.jpg

Everyone is making all this amazing food this weekend lol my dinner tonight was a ham and Turkey sandwich on Ciabatta bread with a bit of sriracha and cheddar. I forgot to pick up lettuce or tomatoes at the store so it was pretty plain. I'm gonna come live with you guys xP I'll just hop from home to home every night for dinner so no one person gets sick of me.

I spent a year in South Korea several years ago courtesy of Uncle Sam. I miss that food so every now and then it is Korean night in my house. Tonight it was Chap Chae (noodle dish) and Spicy Chicken Bulgogi. Didn't have cellophane noodles on hand so used rice noodles instead.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457830223.555249.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457830243.965810.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457830259.720743.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457830274.570841.jpg

No pictures :eek:

Grilled bratwurst, whiskey glazed tri-colored carrots, and parmesan roasted tri-colored potatoes and garlic. Delicious.

Boiled artichokes with butter, extra sweet roasted sweet potatoes, and crispy pork belly that I brine in my Kentucky common, cooked sous vide at 155 for 36 hrs, pressed overnight under bricks, than scored and seared in its own fat, and served with reduced cooking juices and the pan drippings deglazed with some more of the Kentucky common. It was great, but after two pieces you realize you just ate 3/4 pound of bacon and can no longer consume any beer.

Made 3 more pizzas last night with turkey pepperoni,red, yellow, orange sweet bells & plenty of mushrooms drowning in cheese. Drizzled with evool.

Nobody coudl decide what to make last night, and I didn't feel like going to the store, so I made spaghetti and asparagus. Then my wife decides to make corn bread.

Actually ended up being a pretty good meal.

Back