What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the day making 3 gallons of chicken stock. I always buy whole chickens and cut them up. The carcasses go in the freezer until I get enough to do a big batch of stock. I have not bought stock in probably 25 years.

Now I guess I have to think about making dinner.

image.jpg

Spent the day making 3 gallons of chicken stock. I always buy whole chickens and cut them up. The carcasses go in the freezer until I get enough to do a big batch of stock. I have not bought stock in probably 25 years.

Now I guess I have to think about making dinner.

Home made trumps anything you can buy, I make big batches and freeze in small portions for future use, I love soup:D

Home made trumps anything you can buy, I make big batches and freeze in small portions for future use, I love soup:D

That is exactly what I do. I freeze it in one and two cup containers. Need stock, just pull it out and you are good. Chicken stock is a good kitchen staple.

Sounds good, what's your recipe?

Not the one I did last night! It was okay, but not what I was after. Prepped reserved marinade to use as a sauce per the recipe and it was watery and useless and looked nothing like it did on TV. Typical of foodnetwork, that the published recipe is not really what was done by the chef on the program. Chicken was good, but just not what it should have been. I'll post something when I get it fixed.

5# cabbage 3 tb salt turn up the volume:) I know, not really cooking, but I am fermenting.

Exiting video! *bloop*
I started a batch of kraut about a week ago...3 heads of cabbage, about
3-1/2 to 4lbs. I don't have the nice crock, though. I'm using the ole 2 gallon fermentation bucket, a plate, a canning jar, lid, and airlock. Works, though.

Exiting video! *bloop*
3-1/2 to 4lbs. I don't have the nice crock, though. I'm using the ole 2 gallon fermentation bucket, a plate, a canning jar, lid, and airlock. Works, though.

My first fermentation container for Kraut was a gallon glass pickle jar that I drilled a hole for a bung. With this crock I shouldn't have to wash a weight off now and then as with an open crock. I looked for a used crock like this one, but finally caved in and got this one 25% off with free shipping from Williams Sonoma. It looks nice while I'm not using it, lol. :ban:

The other side tastes like nothing:D...never understood the fascination with filet

I've never been a big fan of filet. It's a way over priced cut of meat. Tenderness is all it has going for it. Other than that it's flavorless and easy to dry out.

I've never been a big fan of filet. It's a way over priced cut of meat. Tenderness is all it has going for it. Other than that it's flavorless and easy to dry out.

X3

Love NY Strip, Ribeye, Filet in that order.

I guess if you don't have a knife and still want steak, filet is the way to go. Otherwise, yeah, get a real steak.

Quick fried rice tonight...Chinese style sausage, broccoli, carrots, egg, ginger, soy, garlic powder, and a little sriracha on mine. No pic, because I still can't get one to upload...at least, not from my phone. Anybody else having problems?

X3

Love NY Strip, Ribeye, Filet in that order.

I usually eat ribeyes, I wouldn't mind filet so much if it weren't so dang expensive compared to other cuts. I just think there are much better cuts for a lot cheaper. Hell I buy these sirloins at the farmers market near me that are amazing. Tender, flavorful and the perfect thickness.

Exiting video! *bloop*

I started some a couple weeks ago. Two heads, some mustard seed and coriander, a bit of sea salt, the brine from a jar of Moscow-style gherkins, and a bit of extra brine. Split between three 670mL pickle jars. The first jar went into the fridge after a week and is mellow and delicious. The second will go into the fridge at the two week mark, and the third after three. Want to see how the results vary with more time at fermentation temperatures.

Mustard seed and coriander made a huge positive difference in the final product. Next time I'll grind them, though, since a whole coriander corn sneaking into your bite of kraut isn't all that great. Next batch will also get a small amount of dill - there was a bit in the pickle brine and it is an excellent addition.

I usually eat ribeyes, I wouldn't mind filet so much if it weren't so dang expensive compared to other cuts. I just think there are much better cuts for a lot cheaper. Hell I buy these sirloins at the farmers market near me that are amazing. Tender, flavorful and the perfect thickness.

I love sirloin steaks!:mug: The place I buy duck fat has wagyu top sirloin. I buy that if I'm feeling fancy instead of regular sirloin or if I'm not in the mood for a rib eye.

Uderappreciated cuts of steak that are some of my favorites are skirt steak and hanger steak, both from a steers stomach muscles so plenty of flavor. When cooked right, these cuts have a beefier flavor than any filet, rib steak, strip or sirloin. The key with them is getting the tenderness right. Sous vide cooker is your friend for these steaks.

I honestly dont mind a chewier steak. Flavor > tenderness. Same reason I go for med-rare instead of rare like most of you guys seem to vouch for. Rare is just a waste of potential.

#shotsfired

Rare is more tender per the (lean) cut, plus it allows the natural beef flavour to shine thorough, not the cooked-beef flavour.

;)

Cook a rare and a med rare (not overcooked!) steak and honestly tell me the rare has more flavor.

"More" and "better" are not always equivalent.

Take a glass of water. Pour half into another glass, and stir in 4oz of horsedag **** into one. Take a sip of each.

Now, which has more flavour? Which has better flavour?

:)

Rare steak has better beef flavour, to me. Med-rare, not so bad. Medium starts to taste more like the grill than the steak - again, to me.

;)

I love a rub on my ribeyes. Sue me :)

I bought about 15 ribeyes once (had to buy the whole ribeye cap for the deal). So, I got bored of them and tried this rub from my weber book. So awesome. BTW, I do them over coal, to between M and M/R

I usually put a rub on my steaks, only two ways I cook a steak is over charcoal or in a cast iron and then broiled lol gas is over rated.

Also... I like Medium Rare myself. I think it has a better flavor and texture than rare. And medium is overcooked but acceptable. Cooked more than that and it should go to the dogs xP every time I grill steaks for friends and family and they ask for well done I die a little inside.

I usually put some flaky or coarse salt, freshly ground pepper, and sometimes a little sprinkle of garlic powder on my steaks and cook medium rare.

All my steaks get the same treatment - sprinkled with garlic salt, let stand at least 30 minutes, rub with a teaspoon of olive oil on each side, grill to rare or at the most, medium rare.

When it's too cold to grill outside, a screaming hot cast iron skillet is the next best choice.

Now I want a steak!!

Rib steaks are my fave.

All my steaks get the same treatment - sprinkled with garlic salt, let stand at least 30 minutes, rub with a teaspoon of olive oil on each side, grill to rare or at the most, medium rare.

When it's too cold to grill outside, a screaming hot cast iron skillet is the next best choice.

Now I want a steak!!

Rib steaks are my fave.

I usually will sprinkle mine with salt and pepper and let sit for 30 minutes for just a regular steak, and if i put a rub on it then it's usually for things like fajitas or if I just want something different. My rubs are never over powering though. You want something that compliments the steak flavor, and doesn't drown it out lol

I could go for a steak now too... I really would like to grill out now that the weather is getting nice.

Back