What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut Butter and Honey Caramel Popcorn...easy and addictive.

IMG_20160319_232028.jpg

I was lazy tonight, I just had a sausage egg and cheese (brie) on pumpernickel for dinner. I love brie though and pumpernickel so it was good lol

Assuming that is it next to the arrow, I'd guess you and your wife are dieting?

View attachment 345832

It's micro :taco: which is the newest thing. Aren't you in the loop?

Made some crab legs, burned some potatoes, and thoroughly overheated steak. Crab legs were good though.

Attachments

• 1458524544487.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 98
Pastrami today. Pics to follow.

Well, you guys have me craving another batch of Pastrami. Given that my first pastrami lasted all of 15 minutes, I plan on doing a bit more this time. Probably start with a full packer cut brisket from Costco, use the flat for pastrami and slow smoke the rest or turn it into Carne Machaca or Carne Deshebrada.

My smoker shorted out last fall, so I had to rig an old hotplate I had sitting in the garage to heat chips. M y chip pan covered the entire burner, and it didn't' get hot enough to cook, so after the smoke I brought in the ribs and finished in the oven. Pretty good, but there wasn't a lot of meat on these ribs. And I think there was too much rub.

I mean, I still ate them, and everything...

Quinoa salad with Southwest vinaigrette, black beans, corn, cilantro, and oregano; Pork Pazole; tostones with garlic, salt, olive oil dip; and sour cream guacamole. Well...wish I were able to upload pics...maybe I'll see if the mobile version will take them. Okay...pain in the butt...had to resize the photos. And I didn't get them in order...frustrating.

img_20160321_180314-resized-320.jpg

img_20160321_180457753-resized-320.jpg

img_20160321_180202587-resized-320.jpg

Last edited:
Quinoa salad with Southwest vinaigrette, black beans, corn, cilantro, and oregano; Pork Pazole; tostones with garlic, salt, olive oil dip; and sour cream guacamole. Well...wish I were able to upload pics...maybe I'll see if the mobile version will take them. Okay...pain in the butt...had to resize the photos. And I didn't get them in order...frustrating.

Not sure why you had to resize them, but wrong order doesn't make sense.

If your'e using the
attach.gif
attachment tool, then get all your images attached, THEN put them in your post in any order you want by clicking that paperclip tool again. You'll see the list of the pics you uploaded, and you can insert them into your post anywhere you want. If you don't do this, the forum will just put the images at the end of your post in the order you added them. But by clicking the paperclip tool AFTER you've uploaded the pics, you can add them anywhere in your post that you like.

m.jpg

Not sure why you had to resize them, but wrong order doesn't make sense.

If your'e using the
attach.gif
attachment tool, then get all your images attached, THEN put them in your post in any order you want by clicking that paperclip tool again. You'll see the list of the pics you uploaded, and you can insert them into your post anywhere you want. If you don't do this, the forum will just put the images at the end of your post in the order you added them. But by clicking the paperclip tool AFTER you've uploaded the pics, you can add them anywhere in your post that you like.

View attachment 346068
The placenent of the photos is something I had never learned... thanks! I always just let them go at the end. This time, though, they were out of order because I was getting frustrated and I messed up the order. Since the platform move, though, I've been having trouble with photos. Can't attach multiples and upload, or I get an error... and sometimes just uploading one. I resized and upload one at a time and they go. Ah well...anyway, thanks for the tip on placement... I'll try it!

Can anyone suggest a decent cast iron pan brand? I've only got one and the thing is just done for. Unless it doesn't matter... I'm thinking it doesn't matter.

I figured as much... use it on my gas grill all the time, and it's just getting to the point where I need to buy a new one.

I've always been too lazy to season and take care of my cast irons. Need to though as you said it's nice for grillin some things.

I've always been too lazy to season and take care of my cast irons. Need to though as you said it's nice for grillin some things.

Yeah, I do a lot of braising on the grill with it. Short ribs for instance, don't have to boil or wrap them or anything. Just braised right on the grill... still get those nice grill flavors, and can pull it off near the end and place on the grate for some nice sear marks. They aren't technically dry ribs at this point, but I don't slather any sauce on them other then the braising liquid that they sit in.

Uh, you's guys talking about cast iron skrillex? I just discovered that I got one as a wedding gift and my mother seasoned it for me (wtf that means) when she visited the new house. Ok then. Can't wait to use it, never have. Thinking about just dropping a few pork chops in it, halved shrooms, chunks of onion and garlic with some cream of mushroom soup and throwing it in oven.

You guys have any good cast iron skricketz recipes/techniques?

Lodge is THE cast iron pan to get, if you can. Others probably okay. For those that don't know, "seasoning" cast iron is basically coating it with vegetable oil and letting it cool into the pan. After that, like a good wok, you never scrub the coating off, never use detergent on it, and never leave it wet. This prevents rust and creates a somewhat nonstick surface...though not like Teflon or whatever is the modern coating. Greta on the stove, in the oven, on the grill, or over a camp fire. Great heat retention and even distribution.

I remember reading years ago how the no-soap rule is antiquated and untrue. A properly seasoned pan the oils bind to the cast iron and soap won't remove it, you need something like lye to wash it off; and that scraping was more detrimental.

No experience with it though personally.

I remember reading years ago how the no-soap rule is antiquated and untrue. A properly seasoned pan the oils bind to the cast iron and soap won't remove it, you need something like lye to wash it off; and that scraping was more detrimental.

No experience with it though personally.

Never had a problem using soap on cast iron. Just rinse it off real good, dry it completely first with a towel and then with heat, and then rub it down with a bit of oil back on the heat again.

Never had a problem using soap on cast iron. Just rinse it off real good, dry it completely first with a towel and then with heat, and then rub it down with a bit of oil back on the heat again.

As long as you dry it off and season it right away there's no reason you can't use soap. Restaurants have to run them through industrial dish washers. If they can do that without hurting the pans then you can use a little dawn lol

Don't use regular veg oil on it - use coconut oil or lard or something that won't gum up on you. You can get spray coconut oil now which makes it really easy.

A good way to clean stuff that wants to stick - once you've removed your yummy meal and the pan has cooled off, sprinkle it liberally with kosher salt. Let sit at least overnight - 24 hours is even better. Then use one of those plastic scrubbies and scrub that salt all around the pan (dry) - shake excess out into garbage, then fill pan with good hot water, use the same plastic scrubby to remove any stubborn bits, rinse well, dry with paper towels. Put pan on burner and turn it on til all moisture is evaporated. Turn off burner, spray with coconut oil (or a dollop of the stuff from a jar) and carefully wipe with a paper towel to coat the entire inside of the pan with a thin film. Let cool completely, put a fresh paper towel in the pan and store in a dry place. Mine stay in the drawer that's built in beneath the oven.

I've had people give me cast iron pans that were so gummy from bad oils and bad care that they gave up. I put them upside down in my self-cleaning oven and run the clean cycle. Let cool completely, wipe out any remaining ash or residue, then coat liberally with good oil (right side up) and plunk back into the oven - set it at 350*, when it's up to temp, turn off and just leave the pan in there overnight.

I do occasionally use a very small amount of dishwashing soap in mine if I've seared lamb or something in it. As long as you swish it around, rinse thoroughly, then do as suggested above, the soap won't hurt a properly-seasoned pan.

My favorite is a 12" skillet that my DH's Dad gave to DH's Mom when they got married. DH is now 63 years old so you can figure how old that pan is! It is very nearly nonstick. I still don't do eggs in it though - never have had good luck with that. But you cannot beat it for searing meat or a myriad of other cooking adventures.

My fave - panseared marinated lamb (I get these great ones at Costco that have a nice fat cap) which I then finish in the oven. That pan is great going from stovetop into a screaming hot oven to finish meat!

Don't use regular veg oil on it - use coconut oil or lard or something that won't gum up on you. You can get spray coconut oil now which makes it really easy.

A good way to clean stuff that wants to stick - once you've removed your yummy meal and the pan has cooled off, sprinkle it liberally with kosher salt. Let sit at least overnight - 24 hours is even better. Then use one of those plastic scrubbies and scrub that salt all around the pan (dry) - shake excess out into garbage, then fill pan with good hot water, use the same plastic scrubby to remove any stubborn bits, rinse well, dry with paper towels. Put pan on burner and turn it on til all moisture is evaporated. Turn off burner, spray with coconut oil (or a dollop of the stuff from a jar) and carefully wipe with a paper towel to coat the entire inside of the pan with a thin film. Let cool completely, put a fresh paper towel in the pan and store in a dry place. Mine stay in the drawer that's built in beneath the oven.

I've had people give me cast iron pans that were so gummy from bad oils and bad care that they gave up. I put them upside down in my self-cleaning oven and run the clean cycle. Let cool completely, wipe out any remaining ash or residue, then coat liberally with good oil (right side up) and plunk back into the oven - set it at 350*, when it's up to temp, turn off and just leave the pan in there overnight.

I do occasionally use a very small amount of dishwashing soap in mine if I've seared lamb or something in it. As long as you swish it around, rinse thoroughly, then do as suggested above, the soap won't hurt a properly-seasoned pan.

My favorite is a 12" skillet that my DH's Dad gave to DH's Mom when they got married. DH is now 63 years old so you can figure how old that pan is! It is very nearly nonstick. I still don't do eggs in it though - never have had good luck with that. But you cannot beat it for searing meat or a myriad of other cooking adventures.

My fave - panseared marinated lamb (I get these great ones at Costco that have a nice fat cap) which I then finish in the oven. That pan is great going from stovetop into a screaming hot oven to finish meat!

This should be put in a separate thread and put as a sticky. This is a wonderful and detailed how to on seasoning and taking care of cast iron cookware.

Back