What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That plate makes me wanna smoke up a leg of spring lamb & try it! Been meaning to try chimichurri...& that beautiful pastrami. Oh man, a big, toasted deli rye sammich with sauted mushrooms under some baby swiss melted on top...with IPA mustard.

STEAK ON A PAPER PLATE? Sacrilege!! :p

At least you didn't have plastic knives and forks....

I love twice-baked potatoes but yeah - they're a lot of work.

After doing dishes all day, the last thing I wanted to do was more dishes haha.

Son didn't want the twice baked potatoes just cut in half, so that added to the fun. I always make a few extras to freeze, and will just reheat them with another meal later on in the week.

Pancakes and bacon to be made soon. Lunch will be some French onion soup and maybe some baguette sandwiches, and a leg of lamb is for dinner.

Spent grain bread and peanut butter cookies!!

tmp_IMG_20160326_201037648-picsay.jpg

Made a bunch of deviled eggs from Easter Eggs...I'm not a huge fan, but I'm told they're very good. Brother in law grilled London broil, but I had to slice it (with a sub par knife), Mother in law made her always requested noodle salad (don't call it "macaroni salad", or people get upset.) Ready for a nap!

img_20160327_173706840-resized-320.jpg

I canNOT remember to take pics, but we had a rotisseried prime rib roast (bones were the best part!) and ovenroasted asparagus - I had finished cooking up a bunch of sausage patties earlier, and rolled the asparagus through the resulting fat, which was flavored with garlic, sage, and red pepper flakes with which the patties had been liberally doused - DANG that was the BEST asparagus! A lovely glass of red wine rounded out the meal.

In about an hour, we'll have a slice of cherry crumble pie. I love it when it's just KOTC and me. No stress, plenty of leftover goodness, few dishes to wash!

Sitting with my feet up now that Easter dinner and clean up is done. Fresh fruit salad appy, rotisserie boneless leg of lamb with fresh garlic and rosemary, roasted pork loin, grilled asparagus, new potatoes with garlic and dill, and no knead onion rolls. Sweets lemon pound cake and German pineapple cheesecake made with quark.

image.jpg

My husband calls it noodle salad too.... Weird, noodles are a very different shaped macaroni. :D
Could it be a NY thing? She's from Poughkeepsie mainly. I'm from NC and macaroni salad has mayo, a little mustard, maybe some celery, celery seed, bell pepper (not in mine, ugh), chopped boiled egg. In the "noodle salad", the dressing is similar, but no celery seed, and she adds black and green olives, bell pepper(meh), onion, maybe some other stuff. But the MIL always makes a huge batch, because everyone kills it and wants some to take home.

Sitting with my feet up now that Easter dinner and clean up is done. Fresh fruit salad appy, rotisserie boneless leg of lamb with fresh garlic and rosemary, roasted pork loin, grilled asparagus, new potatoes with garlic and dill, and no knead onion rolls. Sweets lemon pound cake and German pineapple cheesecake made with quark.

I would LOVE to do a leg of lamb sometime, but nobody else would eat it and it's too expensive to roast a leg just for me. I bought some lamb blade chops or something once when I was on my own for a couple of days, but it wasn't as good as "good" lamb chops.

I would LOVE to do a leg of lamb sometime, but nobody else would eat it and it's too expensive to roast a leg just for me. I bought some lamb blade chops or something once when I was on my own for a couple of days, but it wasn't as good as "good" lamb chops.

Hubby, who's from The Midwest, with his noodle salad, does not care for lamb... Must have had some smelly, dry overlooked lamb during his impressionable years. I'll make myself some nice lamb loin chops from Costco, they often cost the same as lesser cuts at the market. When he is out of town. The leg was a little over done, I like it medium (was challenging getting the grill to temp)but thankfully was still moist and tender.

I had some perfectly cooked, med-rare, moist & tender lamb before, & I still didn't like it. Too gamey.

Then again, I've had venison both ways, some that was good & some was too gamey. Maybe there is good lamb/mutton out there, but I've never had it.

*shrug*

I had some perfectly cooked, med-rare, moist & tender lamb before, & I still didn't like it. Too gamey.

Then again, I've had venison both ways, some that was good & some was too gamey. Maybe there is good lamb/mutton out there, but I've never had it.

*shrug*

Interesting, I think "modern" lamb is less gamey, mild actually but, recently I cooked up some lamb chops that had been in the freezer and did get that lamb flavor more intensely. Maybe it's like cilantro, not liking the taste may be genetic. :)

Interesting, I think "modern" lamb is less gamey, mild actually but, recently I cooked up some lamb chops that had been in the freezer and did get that lamb flavor more intensely. Maybe it's like cilantro, not liking the taste may be genetic. :)

There is a difference in lamb. American lamb is usually finished in corn. Australian is usually on grass the whole time. :D I stick to the imported stuff if I can. It's got more gamey flavor.

There are breeds of sheep that do not have wool, but are "haired" - churro is one that I've tried. If you have any local breeders, you might check into it. Because there is no wool, there is no lanolin, which is what "they say" causes the gamey flavor if any of it touches the meat.

Personally, I love the marinated lamb steaks that Costco has - and even KOTC will eat them, and asks for them, he is NOT a "lamb lover" in general but these things are quite good. I sear them fatside down in a screaming hot cast iron skillet for 6 minutes, flip over and sear 4 more minutes, then into a 400* oven til done to your liking. Interestingly this is one meat he'll eat rare, so I cook them to 130* and then let stand 10 minutes.

FTR - I have only had lamb twice, both were legs of lamb. Never had a loin chop. They always look so pretty, I am sure I'd give one a shot if I ever had the chance.

:)

Hubby, who's from The Midwest, with his noodle salad, does not care for lamb... Must have had some smelly, dry overlooked lamb during his impressionable years. I'll make myself some nice lamb loin chops from Costco, they often cost the same as lesser cuts at the market. When he is out of town. The leg was a little over done, I like it medium (was challenging getting the grill to temp)but thankfully was still moist and tender.
Just had a Costco open about 2 or 3 miles from me, last week. Spent over $300. I did see a frenched rack of lamb chops for about $11...just might have to do that sometime!

I used to live in a village called Cockerham (no laughing at the back!) and it was near the estuary plains of morecambe bay in Lancashire. Spring salt-marsh lamb has the most amazing flavour of any lamb I have so far eaten. Actually now that I mention it as its only about a 3 hour drive I might just have to take a drive up there this weekend and buy some.

Just had a Costco open about 2 or 3 miles from me, last week. Spent over $300. I did see a frenched rack of lamb chops for about $11...just might have to do that sometime!

Their rack of lamb is excellent and the only place I'll buy it.

I score the fat, rub all over with a mixture of Dijon mustard, a little good olive oil, some minced garlic and rosemary, then press it into crushed pecans or hazelnuts or whatever you got. Have done pistachios and also almonds too.

Roast in 400* oven til done to your liking. KOTC loves this lamb prep too.

Their rack of lamb is excellent and the only place I'll buy it.

I score the fat, rub all over with a mixture of Dijon mustard, a little good olive oil, some minced garlic and rosemary, then press it into crushed pecans or hazelnuts or whatever you got. Have done pistachios and also almonds too.

Roast in 400* oven til done to your liking. KOTC loves this lamb prep too.

.... Now I am hungry again. Thanks. :mad:

To 9000! Woo hoo! Dinner last night: boneless pork chop with parmesan panko crust, mixed vegetable casserole (rutabagas, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage in a cheese-bechamel with buttered panko and parmesan topping), and rice.

9000? Your post count shows 2671 on the one above THIS. Where you gettin' that big fancy number from, friend??? ;)

OHHHHHHHH I bet you meant PAGES - 900 on this thread - huh?? Amazing!

Thanks to Melana for starting this one. It's the one thread I make SURE I see every day!

Back