What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You totally lost me with black pudding. I have been told there's good and bad, and I have tried many, but I just don't like it. Spent a lot of time in the UK, but don't like black pudding, and like pork'n'beans but just leave them and the black pudding off a full English.

Yeah it's pretty divisive stuff. I don't know anyone who thinks it's "just OK" they're either die hard fans of it or look at you as if you just suggested eating a baby when offered it.

Final picture of the poblano chicken, after baking it for a bit to rewarm it and melt the cheese the rest of the way. I did not get any pictures of it served on tortillas, but this is really an awesome dish :)

Poblano Chicken.jpg

Finally made decent biscuits and gravy. I've never been able to get the biscuits just the way I like them. Finally had a hint that old Baking Powder may be the cause. I found out our BP is years old. :(

Bought some new, tried a recipe and they fluffed up so much they were tipping over! Yesterday morning I made a second batch and rolled them thinner and used Buttermilk that I had to use up. I had to add more buttermilk to get the dough to be not too dry, but the biscuits were picture perfect and fluffy with a lightly crisp golden outside.

Fried up some bacon and added ground sausage to the pan (after draining some of the excess bacon grease. Added some flour, red pepper flakes, and some fresh ground black pepper when it was cooked through and let the bottom of the pan get brown. Added milk to de-glaze the pan and stirred and added milk until I got the consistency I wanted. Served with fried egg on top.

Finally made decent biscuits and gravy. I've never been able to get the biscuits just the way I like them. Finally had a hint that old Baking Powder may be the cause. I found out our BP is years old. :(

Bought some new, tried a recipe and they fluffed up so much they were tipping over! Yesterday morning I made a second batch and rolled them thinner and used Buttermilk that I had to use up. I had to add more buttermilk to get the dough to be not too dry, but the biscuits were picture perfect and fluffy with a lightly crisp golden outside.

Fried up some bacon and added ground sausage to the pan (after draining some of the excess bacon grease. Added some flour, red pepper flakes, and some fresh ground black pepper when it was cooked through and let the bottom of the pan get brown. Added milk to de-glaze the pan and stirred and added milk until I got the consistency I wanted. Served with fried egg on top.

I've never been able to make good biscuits. Probably the only thing I've ever had trouble cooking lol that sounds absolutely delicious though. I know where I'm going for breakfast from now on xP

Final picture of the poblano chicken, after baking it for a bit to rewarm it and melt the cheese the rest of the way. I did not get any pictures of it served on tortillas, but this is really an awesome dish :)

That looks delicious, Travis!

Monterey Jack cheese actually originated right here in Monterey, CA.

From Wikipedia:

In its earliest form, Monterey Jack was made by the Mexican Franciscan friars of Monterey, California, during the 19th century. Californian businessman David Jack sold the cheese commercially. He produced a mild, white cheese, which came to be known as "Jack's Cheese", and eventually "Monterey Jack".

It's great stuff, isn't it? I like the dry aged version too!

I've never been able to make good biscuits. Probably the only thing I've ever had trouble cooking lol that sounds absolutely delicious though. I know where I'm going for breakfast from now on xP

I had biscuits and gravy for breakfast and lunch today. :D

My recipe came right out of Betty Crocker cookbook. Very simply if you can manage to not cut the butter and flour too much. Stop before you think you got it all mixed together, use COLD milk (I used some old buttermilk), and don't handle too much.

Off the top of my head I think the recipe was:

2 C. Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 C. Butter (or shortening, but I used butter)

Stir dry ingredients until mixed. Cut in butter just until you get a course crumb texture

Add 2/3 C. COLD milk and mix together just until mixture isn't dry.

Gently roll out to 1/4" thickness, then fold back on itself and cut with a round biscuit cutter.

Bake on greased sheet at 450F for 8-10 minutes (Until the top is golden brown).

I cooked my first home cured country ham this weekend. This one was a wild boar ham I posted a picture of hanging a few months ago. It was good but I think could have used a couple more months curing. I have 2 more in the works as well as a prosciutto going in the basement.

Looks delicious, ISO!

Made some peanut butter/caramel popcorn last night...SWMBO was a little peeved that I ate some Crunch & Munch she was counting on. I found an easy recipe on Pinterest and surprised her. Forgot photos...oops. But it was basically 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup sugar with a pinch of salt, boiled together for 3 or 4 minutes, remove from heat and stir in 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter. I was out of dry roasted peanuts, but I would add 1/2 cup of those next time. Pour the hot stuff (carefully!) over a big batch of popcorn and mix with a rubber spatutla.(Try to make sure any unpopped kernals are removed!) Pour out onto parchment lined baking sheet and cool completely. Break up into small clusters and serve. SWMBO could not stop eating it!

Wow! This is a post I thought I was putting up the other night when I did the poblano chicken and it was just sitting here when I got on the forum via phone tonight! Maybe I did post and app gave me the random you have to wait 30 seconds message. If so, sorry for the double post.

So now I'm at a pause. After endless complaints about not having dinner ready till 8 or 8:30, having it ready at 6:45 is too early! Lol. No worries though. It just sits now until I put it in the oven to brown the cheese and serve, so can smoke another cigar and wait! Both for dinner and the eventual storms that will arrive tonight or tomorrow morning.

Making some chicken noodles. Stock made from leftover roasted chicken bones and stuff, plus some caramelized veggies. Picked chicken meat, a little roux, some carrots and celery that I pre-cooked in some of the stock... then adding some Amish egg noodles to cook in stock, before throwing it all together.I also have some asparagus to steam for a side.

IMG_20160310_175124159.jpg

Middle daughter's birthday #14. Making a batch of rolls to go with dinner. Miss en place ready for a lemon-blueberry pound cake.

IMG_20160311_102001590.jpg

IMG_20160311_095210728.jpg

My turducken from sunday. It looked like an alien was about to come out of it's chest. The cornbread stuffing expanded a little more than I expected but once it was cooked through I just cut it in half, carved it, and you couldn't tell.

turducken.jpg

Looks awesome, but I'm having trouble spotting the bacon?

I made a wild rice, bacon, mushroom, and caramelized onion stuffing to go in the duck and the Cornish game hens(my dad made the request for turducken and he bought them instead of chickens).

FWIW, this was the first time I've seen(in person) or eaten turducken. Is bacon supposed to be included? Also, next time I'm going to go with my gut and take the skin off the duck. It didn't render the way I was led to believe it would and ended up a flabby layer in the middle that was kind of a turn off.

I made a wild rice, bacon, mushroom, and caramelized onion stuffing to go in the duck and the Cornish game hens(my dad made the request for turducken and he bought them instead of chickens).

FWIW, this was the first time I've seen(in person) or eaten turducken. Is bacon supposed to be included? Also, next time I'm going to go with my gut and take the skin off the duck. It didn't render the way I was led to believe it would and ended up a flabby layer in the middle that was kind of a turn off.

An old problem that's easily remedied. Just fry off the duck before wrapping it in the turkey. A good fifteen minutes worth of rendering and browning inside a skillet results in duck skin that is not only thin and completely tender, but also adds some flavor to the mix.

An old problem that's easily remedied. Just fry off the duck before wrapping it in the turkey. A good fifteen minutes worth of rendering and browning inside a skillet results in duck skin that is not only thin and completely tender, but also adds some flavor to the mix.

Hrm... you sound like you are experienced with Turducken. Did you learn the lesson of not trying to flip a Turducken partway through the cooking? Also, that cats love what hits the kitchen floor when it disassembles itself partway through said flip?

You know it's done when you finish the Tatuaje and you run out of gas!
View attachment 343748

Showoff! :D

Finished products: Lemon-Blueberry Pound Cake...turned out extremely well. Moist, dense, and great flavor. Dad's Rolls...this is about the third or fourth time I've made these and they're really good. I'm not sure where my Dad got the recipe originally or why they are shaped the way they are, but they are a part of my childhood. Unfortunately, as many times as Dad made them, at 89 years old, he doesn't remember ever having made them. Ah well, blessed that he is still fairly sharp...if this is what he forgets, then no big deal.
@Staestc This daughter is 14 today and my son turns 12 next month...but my grandbaby momma is 28 (and married!).

IMG_20160311_135536976.jpg

IMG_20160311_141013822.jpg

Back