What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fish tacos are something I've wanted to try. We found this little amerimex sort of restaurant on the hill in old SoPass one night that used the original Mexican fish for them. The owner refused to make them for us, siting that we probably wouldn't like them? WTF? I forget the name of the fish...but I need to try these! Maybe next Friday, seeing as how it's Lent?

I love Mahi Mahi for fish tacos! Hard to get it fresh around here, but the flash frozen filets from Costco are great! :)

It turned out amazing, Mahi Mahi is my new favorite fish i think lol it was perfect with that lime and ancho. I wish I had picked up more now lol I could have these tacos every night. The slaw worked perfect with it too. Hands down the best thing I've ever cooked haha

Fish tacos are something I've wanted to try. We found this little amerimex sort of restaurant on the hill in old SoPass one night that used the original Mexican fish for them. The owner refused to make them for us, siting that we probably wouldn't like them? WTF? I forget the name of the fish...but I need to try these! Maybe next Friday, seeing as how it's Lent?

How's an owner gonna refuse to serve you something? Lol just cause you're not Mexican doesn't mean you won't like something. Hell I'm not Ecuadorian but I enjoyed guinea pig the one time I had it xD you definitely need to try fish tacos though. They're super easy to make.

For last night's dinner, basil pesto-crusted salmon with a wedge of Meyer lemon. Mixed fresh veggies consisting of small diced potatoes, sweet onion petals, sliced small sweet peppers, minced garlic, sliced carrots & mushrooms in a butter sauce with a lil salt & fresh cracked black pepper. I only had 5 potatoes left, so this is what I came up with. Had a nice natural sweetness to them. The browned bit of crust on the salmon, with the pesto & Meyer lemon was spot on!
[IMG]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/IMG_0147_zpsisajnts7.jpg[/IMG]
That looks delicious. I've been on a big fish kick lately, I might pick up salmon next paycheck.

It turned out amazing, Mahi Mahi is my new favorite fish i think lol it was perfect with that lime and ancho. I wish I had picked up more now lol I could have these tacos every night. The slaw worked perfect with it too. Hands down the best thing I've ever cooked haha

How's an owner gonna refuse to serve you something? Lol just cause you're not Mexican doesn't mean you won't like something. Hell I'm not Ecuadorian but I enjoyed guinea pig the one time I had it xD you definitely need to try fish tacos though. They're super easy to make.
He just flat out insisted we wouldn't like them, being the " original style"? Just because we aren't " from" Cali doesn't mean we're without taste?...I need to try them just the same!
That looks delicious. I've been on a big fish kick lately, I might pick up salmon next paycheck.

It's easy & quick to make & the flavors are great! Skin the fillet, then cut into 6-8oz strips. I used one of those new titanium/ceramic pans. got it hot, then added about 3TBSP oil & 3 tsp real butter. Cook strips rib side down for a minute or two, until browned with salt & fresh cracked black pepper. flip & season, then spread 1tsp basil pesto on each. cover & let cook 3-4 minutes. I loved how the sweeter Meyer lemon melded perfectly with the browned, pesto-crusted salmon. I gotta make this more often, now that Giant Eagle started carrying Meyer lemons. This was my first time getting to try the lemons.

Sichuan spicy noodles (cooked after a 10.5 km / 6.5 mile run).

Key ingredient is the sichuan pepper, which provides unique spicyness to the dish.

Sichuan spicy noodle.jpg

Oven had conked out a while ago, finally got a new one in. Had to get some help from the next-door neighbour wiring it up, so I broke the oven in by baking him up some cookies (still owe him a 12-pack of Miller Ugh).

001.JPG

Looks Indian? What dishes are these? Looks a variation of something I've done at one time or other?

It's chettinad chicken- a dish from Tamil Nadu in south eastern India, served with tarka dhal, paratha and pilau rice.

No idea if you've cooked something similar I'm afraid- only you can know that! This is a recipe from a British food and travel writer called Rick Stein.

I'm thinking that, since the dietician put me on this diabetic maintenance diet, I'd make something like your dishes? Some parts of them are different, but I've experimented with a lot of weird combos in my time. Yours look compelling at this point. I'm also going to change the veggie side dish for the pesto crusted salmon, adding my take on bauernfruhstuck (German " farmer's breakfast") as the side dish. Might use more of the carbs in the dish to break down the total amount of proteins. Bauernfruhstuck uses eggs scrambled with the sauted veggies. Here's a more original recipe for it, but I'm going to add some other things I can get...http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/recipes/Breakfast/Bauernfrustuck/index.htm

I'm thinking that, since the dietician put me on this diabetic maintenance diet, I'd make something like your dishes? Some parts of them are different, but I've experimented with a lot of weird combos in my time. Yours look compelling at this point. I'm also going to change the veggie side dish for the pesto crusted salmon, adding my take on bauernfruhstuck (German " farmer's breakfast") as the side dish. Might use more of the carbs in the dish to break down the total amount of proteins. Bauernfruhstuck uses eggs scrambled with the sauted veggies. Here's a more original recipe for it, but I'm going to add some other things I can get...http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/recipes/Breakfast/Bauernfrustuck/index.htm

Wow that's fusion cooking to the max! I love trying new flavour combinations but I'd worry that this would overpower the salmon. It's got loads of fresh curry leaves and at least a tablespoon of hot kashmeri chilli powder in the spice blend. Anything subtle wouldn't stand a chance on that plate. A tandoori tikka baked trout type recipe is about as hot as I'd normally go against a flavour like salmon.

Let us know how it goes if you try it though.

I have been craving a Cuban sandwich and have not fulfilled that need so tonight I split and pounded a couple of tenderloins, rubbed with garlic and mustard, added ham,Swiss,dill pickles
Rolled and tied, seasoned with cumin
Updates to come.

ISO. Looks great

Thanks. Made a breakfast barm with some of it right after. Black pudding, bacon, chipolata sausage and a big fried egg with brown sauce . View attachment 341992

But that was hours ago. Chettinad chicken in progress. Pics to follow.

You totally lost me with black pudding. I have been told there's good and bad, and I have tried many, but I just don't like it. Spent a lot of time in the UK, but don't like black pudding, and like pork'n'beans but just leave them and the black pudding off a full English.

Back