Sour Swap #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Where the wild beers are . com, and seekabrew, Brooklyn Brewery isn't available in CO, and it is listed as a sour beer. I had it long ago, but did not seem to recall it being sour. Maybe minimal funk. I bought a couple bottles today, one to try out, and if pucker worthy, will save it for the box.

Brooklyn just recently released Wild Streak, which is brett-bottled, but I believe that's their only commercially distributed sour/wild ale so far.

Has anyone tried wild streak.. They're sitting on shelves and I've heard nothing but below average things about it.. I want to try it but can't bite the 25 dollar bullet after what I've heard

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Tried the Brooklyn local one. Not really a sour beer. Might be minimal funk. Seems more like a BSGA with some saison type esters. A nice beer. Wow, didn't realize was 9% ABV though. A little groggy this morning.

Have my box planned. Have three slots undecided. Two are for sours that I'm waiting to see about my Atlanta source and the CCB release. If those are not in hand by ship day, which will be 3/28 or 29 most likely, then I'm going to have to use sours that I know my recipient can get locally. There definitely are sours that are not distro in their state in my box though. Plus lots of funky beers, though not technically sour - bret beers, mixed Bret beers, and saisons. Other slot I'm going to fill with whatever Founders, Bells or CCB shelf brews or a nice Belgian dubbel/BDSA homebrew / swag I can find (so far not finding much swag). Maybe I can get a bells wild one though have never seen before, or the Brooklyn Brett beer. Looking like 275oz if my math is correct. One of the beers I plan to include, I've never tasted, but when I do, if its really great and nice and sour, I may include more than one bottle, which would mix things up a bit.

Not sure about the rules, but wondering if my recipient would rather I wait until after spring break (I leave for a cruise on 3/30, back the following Sunday) in hopes that I could include a couple bottles of CCB sour (and maybe an allagash sour from my Atlanta connection ). If so would plan to try and ship that week of 4/7.

Also, whoever has me, if when you ship, please ensure that box won't be delivered while I'm out of town 3/30- 4/6. If you have to wait until past the deadline, that's OK for me because of spring break week.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Tried the Brooklyn local one. Not really a sour beer. Might be minimal funk. Seems more like a BSGA with some saison type esters. A nice beer. Wow, didn't realize was 9% ABV though. A little groggy this morning.

Have my box planned. Have three slots undecided. Two are for sours that I'm waiting to see about my Atlanta source and the CCB release. If those are not in hand by ship day, which will be 3/28 or 29 most likely, then I'm going to have to use sours that I know my recipient can get locally. There definitely are sours that are not distro in their state in my box though. Plus lots of funky beers, though not technically sour - bret beers, mixed Bret beers, and saisons. Other slot I'm going to fill with whatever Founders, Bells or CCB shelf brews or a nice Belgian dubbel/BDSA homebrew / swag I can find (so far not finding much swag). Maybe I can get a bells wild one though have never seen before, or the Brooklyn Brett beer. Looking like 275oz if my math is correct. One of the beers I plan to include, I've never tasted, but when I do, if its really great and nice and sour, I may include more than one bottle, which would mix things up a bit.

Not sure about the rules, but wondering if my recipient would rather I wait until after spring break (I leave for a cruise on 3/30, back the following Sunday) in hopes that I could include a couple bottles of CCB sour (and maybe an allagash sour from my Atlanta connection ). If so would plan to try and ship that week of 4/7.

Also, whoever has me, if when you ship, please ensure that box won't be delivered while I'm out of town 3/30- 4/6. If you have to wait until past the deadline, that's OK for me because of spring break week.

TD

Your play-by-play is phenomenal... Love it!

To my recipient, TX may not get the best distro, but we do have Jester King and Prairie. I also was in New Orleans this week and picked up a Drie Fontenein Oude Geuze for the box.

Also, I would totally be happy with 60 oz of sours from the same brewery.

To my recipient, TX may not get the best distro, but we do have Jester King and Prairie. I also was in New Orleans this week and picked up a Drie Fontenein Oude Geuze for the box.

Also, I would totally be happy with 60 oz of sours from the same brewery.

I'll take it!

Sent from my H4X0r3D Nexus 7

What's peoples take on receiving non-sour beers as extras? For example from some very local breweries not in your distro?

What's peoples take on receiving non-sour beers as extras? For example from some very local breweries not in your distro?

I'm throwing in extras that are non sour because getting 60oz that my recipient couldn't get was tough in my state and I wanted to send much more than 60oz of beer!

All of my extras will not be sour, but killer brews. Limited sour shtuff around these parts.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

My extras are all funky or saisons which might be a bit sour.
Getting limited jester king here for some of those extras.
Solid sours will be in the box that aren't in their state (and not necessarily local for me either).

This has been quite a bit of fun.

TD.

I'm gonna include an HB sour or two and some non-sour local stuff as extras. As well as maybe some sour extras. Having a hard time selecting what to send. I'm hoping to send out a few teaser pictures soon.

I'm at almost 100oz of sours and will add some local other stuff. Unfortunately my homebrew sours have only just had their ingredients ordered, so it will be some time before they would make it into a swap, not to mention that I almost exclusively keg now, they may never make it.

Sent from my H4X0r3D Nexus 7

Damn. You Guys are making me feel like an under achiever. I am only at 95oz with no extras or other brew paraphernalia. Might have to raid my stash or garage to compete with you guys.

Well cool then. I'm finding that local sours are harder to find than I anticipated. I think I have now 60oz of sours that my recipient DEF won't have access to (made a side trip to WI today and found some great stuff), and as I mentioned before I'm hoping to be able to include a Surly Pentagram if it releases here in the next week or so. But otherwise all my extras will be non-sours or not 100% Brett beers. It's a bit of a sigh of relief for me that I won't be alone with that.

Damn. You Guys are making me feel like an under achiever. I am only at 95oz with no extras or other brew paraphernalia. Might have to raid my stash or garage to compete with you guys.

I jumped on this when I saw the last swap, and started gathering up what I could for last few months, in anticipation of the second swap.
In just these last couple of months, Jester King and Prairie are now here but, I haven't had a chance to get there to buy any yet. Next weekend I'm planning to do that. I think they are only sold at one location that I know of, and there are only a couple of picks. The selection is limited probably for most people, but improving all the time. I'm trying to beer it forward as best I can.
I'm having a hard time finding much in the way of swag however.

TD

I'm gonna include an HB sour or two and some non-sour local stuff as extras. As well as maybe some sour extras. Having a hard time selecting what to send. I'm hoping to send out a few teaser pictures soon.

Was yours the "face melter" I read about in the previous swap?

I wish my two, technically three sours going were ready to bottle and send. I've got a KBS clone that I split and soured half, and I have a Consecration clone going on that I split in half and did half the Vinnie way, and the other half with sour blend right out of the gates. I have a bunch of cork finish bottles both 375 and 750 ml sizes I'm going to bottle them in. I think they need at least six more months. I've also been planing a Brett Trois Primary fermed IPA, but haven't had much time to brew so far this year. I'm thinking about finding a way to start souring and / or Brett secondary steps to most all my brews from now on, just for fun. I have a trippel ready (past ready actually) to keg or bottle and I'm thinking about oaking and bretting half of that too.

Sooner or later mine will be ready and I'm sure there will be another swap like this in the future...

TD

You aren't the underest achiever....I haven't even started thinking about it yet. But I will start tonight while visiting Jester King...

Cool! I've yet to taste any. There is only one place near me that carries it and its a bar that also sells package. They've got three JK beers to choose from and one is keg only. Today over lunch, I'm gonna ask a local and much closer store in the same county to see if they can get any as well. The distro rules in FL seem pretty crazy though, so who knows. Ditto on the Prairie, but only two available in bottles. Not that I'm complaining.
Been spending far too much time thinking about this. Hoping to get the CCB sour before ship deadline - will see.

TD

Cool! I've yet to taste any. There is only one place near me that carries it and its a bar that also sells package. They've got three JK beers to choose from and one is keg only. Today over lunch, I'm gonna ask a local and much closer store in the same county to see if they can get any as well. The distro rules in FL seem pretty crazy though, so who knows. Ditto on the Prairie, but only two available in bottles. Not that I'm complaining.
Been spending far too much time thinking about this. Hoping to get the CCB sour before ship deadline - will see.

TD

You may have said this already, but I didn't see it. What JK beers do they have? I'm assuming the Prairie is Prairie Ale.

You may have said this already, but I didn't see it. What JK beers do they have? I'm assuming the Prairie is Prairie Ale.

I specifically didn't mention so as not to let on what's specifically going into my box! Yes prairie ale is one, and the other prairie is Elizabeth with a number 5 in there somewhere.

I'll PM you the JK offerings, maybe you can tell me how sour they really are. Granted, I've not seen them in person cause is a bit of a drive from my home to this place, but they have them on their iPhone app, and the inventory manager told me they were coming soon the first time I was there in January.

Feel like I'm a kid again looking for playboy magazines in the woods / tree houses trying to hunt down these sours!

TD

I specifically didn't mention so as not to let on what's specifically going into my box! Yes prairie ale is one, and the other prairie is Elizabeth with a number 5 in there somewhere.

I'll PM you the JK offerings, maybe you can tell me how sour they really are. Granted, I've not seen them in person cause is a bit of a drive from my home to this place, but they have them on their iPhone app, and the inventory manager told me they were coming soon the first time I was there in January.

Feel like I'm a kid again looking for playboy magazines in the woods / tree houses trying to hunt down these sours!

TD

Both of those Prairies are really good, Elisa5beth is the better of the two.

I can probably help you out with the JK's as I've had quite a few of them. Just wish I could get down to Austin "to visit the inlaws" more often to restock.

Any awesome beer stores near the Hilton in Orlando? Going to be there for work wed-fri

You should send a 3L Eliza5beth. I was lucky enough to find one in OK over Thanksgiving weekend. I will be opening it for my birthday in May.

FYI, I have seen you mention keg only a few times, try to find places that will do growler fills. I know FL is stupid on growler laws, but I believe they allow 32 ounce fills. I would try to start looking to do that. I know Funky Buddha has some of the best beer being made in FL and they definitely do growler fills, I have drank some. If you are wanting to ship growlers just do a few wraps of black electrical tape around the cap and pack it well and it should make it just fine.

WP_20131129_004.jpg

Cool. I'll ask about growlers, but I think for me anyway, that it's not going to be helpful. The reason is, that I think the growler thing is only allowed at the brewery tasting room, not bars like this one. I'll ask them next time I go though!
Funky Buddha is a long drive for me, about 4-5 hours I think, one way. I think they sell kegs, but not sure. I know that they distribute kegs, but no bottles. I read on their website that they are going to be beginning bottling/canning sometime soon. I've not had any of their stuff before.
Been trying to seek out where I can buy kegs of some of the in state micros, and also the founders stuff. I'm going to ask the guy at the bar with the Jester King who does their ordering. He knows about all this stuff. Be really cool to get a local small brewery 1/6 bbl, and counter pressure bottle it!! Got to find keg source first.

TD

Oh and , impressive 3L bottle!

Any awesome beer stores near the Hilton in Orlando? Going to be there for work wed-fri

Although I live about an hour north, I rarely find time to get down there.

Total wine has two shops I think. They have a very good selection usually. Also, whole foods has a store in doctor Phillips (a suburb of Orlando) area near expressway, and has a very good selection as well.

I think there are some cool beer bars downtown as well, but I don't get there often. There are some trendy places on church street I know as well. I think on this forum, there is a Florida/southeast thread or two about beer places in the city. If you hear about any great small bottle shops pass it along. My brother lives in Sanford area of Orlando, and says the local ABC liquor store has great selection. I don't know how close any of those are to the Hilton though.

TD

Although I live about an hour north, I rarely find time to get down there.

Total wine has two shops I think. They have a very good selection usually. Also, whole foods has a store in doctor Phillips (a suburb of Orlando) area near expressway, and has a very good selection as well.

I think there are some cool beer bars downtown as well, but I don't get there often. There are some trendy places on church street I know as well. I think on this forum, there is a Florida/southeast thread or two about beer places in the city. If you hear about any great small bottle shops pass it along. My brother lives in Sanford area of Orlando, and says the local ABC liquor store has great selection. I don't know how close any of those are to the Hilton though.

TD

Thanks.. Hopefully I get some time to go check them out

Thanks.. Hopefully I get some time to go check them out

There is also the "world of beer" chain of bars that sell package at some locations, usually has a huge selection

Edit - also heard about this place called redlight redlight beer parlour, which is in winter park, a suburb (upscale) of Orlando. Have never been but it was supposedly in draft magazine for big selection of draft and bottled beer. Dunno if they sell package or not.

Hey Guys, I have a new guy who wants to join the swap. I'm happy to do a second recipient myself, but I thought I would put it out there and draw a name out of hat for who gets it. Let me know if you're into it.

Back