Rio concentrates and Maltodextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmmuellr

Reaction score
I discovered and read the thread on syrups a few weeks ago when my wife decided that we were going to have 20 or so kids over for my daughter's birthday party and she wanted different, colorful soda's for the kids. She created a monster! I've got 7 flavors that I'm itching to mix up for the party!

What's the consensus on maltodextrin? Add to the water? Add to the individual syrup? What concentration?

I recall reading one post that was 1/2 pound of maltodextrin in 5 gal water. That would make for 0.4oz/quart of syrup if I did my math correct.

Who's experimented and come up w/ the best solution? The party is the 27th, so I've got some time to get things right. Right now I've had 5galof water on 40psi for about a week and a half. Yesterday the dip-tube restrictors (epoxy mixers) came. I figure this weekend I'd like to get the syrups mixed.

I will likely be serving into clear solo cups from a cobra tap.

Thanks!
Kevin

How is this turning out for you?

I've used maltodextrin in my syrup itself. Not Rio persay, but a concentrate. What I had done was forgot to add maltodextrin when I was initially creating the sugar syrup, so it had cooled and I added the concentrate to make a 750ml bottle of rootbeer syrup. After finding it was too thin for my liking, I added maltodextrin right to this bottle. It clumped up for a day or so, but I shook it and it mixed out pretty well without leaving anything behind.

I've mixed all 7 syrup, and I've tried 5 of them. Still have orange and blue raspberry to try.

I mixed without any maltodextrin.

I think that they're all good, but the rootbeer could probably use some thickening, and maybe a little on the cream soda. I don't think the kids will complain, so I'll leave it alone for the party this Friday.

Kevin

ETA: Just noticed that you're a Kevin M too, and in Ann Arbor. I'm in Plymouth.

Party was a success. Not a whole lot of soda drank, so more for me! I'm loving the root beer, cream soda, and black cherry.

K

Good to hear. I'm sure that there will be drinkers at various points in time. Like when your daughter's friends visit and they all want something to drink.

At this point, it might be worth trying to separate half the syrup into a separate bottle and add some maltodextrin directly to it to see how it affects the viscosity of the soda. This way you can directly compare the sodas.

Back