Question on using a fruit juice concentrate in a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilG311

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a question. We have a drink here in Western NY called Loganberry, and you can get it in a syrup concentrate. I want to add it to a wheat beer, but I've never used any sort of juice extract/syrup like this before- any idea on the best way to add this?

How would I work it into a recipe? The concentrate you can get you mix 1 part of syrup to 5 parts water.

any advice would be great! :mug:

to be a bit more clear, its a non carbonated soft drink type beverage, not really a fruit juice.

I'm guessing i could add some at flame out for primary, then add a bit more for secondary.

I'm thinking of splitting the batch in secondary and adding different amounts to play with the amount to use....

Any fruit type products are usually best in the secondary (or in the primary once most fermentation is done).

Splitting batches sounds like a good idea. Start with low amounts either way. You can always add more, but you can't take it out.

Do you expect it to retain sweetness? Most fruit juices end up a lot dryer than expected because the yeast eat the sugar and the remaining flavors aren't as bright.

It's not as fancy, but does blending them in the glass at serving time not produce the desired result?
There are threads discussing brewing a Radler which in reality you can't "brew" because it is beer and lemon drink mixed in the glass. I'm thinking this might be a similar case.

Do you expect it to retain sweetness? Most fruit juices end up a lot dryer than expected because the yeast eat the sugar and the remaining flavors aren't as bright.

It's not as fancy, but does blending them in the glass at serving time not produce the desired result?
There are threads discussing brewing a Radler which in reality you can't "brew" because it is beer and lemon drink mixed in the glass. I'm thinking this might be a similar case.

I'd like it to have some of the sweetness, but more of just the raspberry/blackberry flavor that loganberry has. It drying out a little bit would be ok.

I think best bet is to add some at the end of the boil, then add more for secondary.

I've just never made a beer with any sort of concentrate/fruit juice before.

Latest posts

Back