HOMEBREW SWAP-O-RAMA ROUND 2!!!! Spring Cleaning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Glad it made it safe and sound...look forward to the feedback and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

mine landed in turlock it's at the front door.
i'm happy it made it all that way with no problems.

Yo! Package landed today! Everything made it safely, I opened a well packed box! Thanks for the extras man!! So exciting, It feels like Christmas!!

I put everything in the fridge. Ill give it a day to settle out then ill crack one. Any recommendations? Are you looking for reviews?

beer_zps4c155689.jpg

i like em all.. reviews are welcome. let me know what you think of them. glad they landed safely that was the farthest i've sent. the my folie is my favorite!.
enjoy

I just received a call from FedEx that my shipment has been completely destroyed and cannot be delivered, or returned. What the hell!!! I can't even imagine a scenario in which this is possible. Did it fall out of the airplane? Get run over by an 18 wheeler?

So now I start the process of filing a claim. Anybody else have to do this? I remember back to the instructions in the shipping memo up in post #1:

Don't tell them that you're shipping beer. In my experience they are not real pushy about what's in the box. if they truly must know, tell them it's live yeast samples, salsa, barbecue sauce, etc....just something that is similar in size and weight.

Well, the claim form asks for specific information including sales receipts, so I don't think I'm going to be able to continue telling them I was shipping a home made food product. Do I file a claim, or just write this off as a bad experience? I'm not going to leave my recipient high and dry, but I'm not really sure I want to deal with this again. I did a little more poking around, and I found this on the FedEx website.

http://www.fedex.com/us/developer/p...elp/Services/Options/c_AlcoholShipping-2.html

It seems that Mr Talleymonster above may have provided some rather poor advice. All we have to do is sign an alcohol shipment agreement, identify that the contents of the package contain alcohol, insure that an adult is available at the recipient location, and pay the alcohol shipment surcharge. Talk about a PITA! And who knows how much the surcharge would be.

So now I'm thinking maybe the package was not completely destroyed. Maybe instead, one bottle broke, and when they realized that the contents contained alcohol, they confiscated it. Either that, or the driver decided to help himself to the unbroken ones.

I'm pretty frustrated at this moment. If anyone has some advice, I'm all ears.

I just received a call from FedEx that my shipment has been completely destroyed and cannot be delivered, or returned. What the hell!!! I can't even imagine a scenario in which this is possible. Did it fall out of the airplane? Get run over by an 18 wheeler?

So now I start the process of filing a claim. Anybody else have to do this? I remember back to the instructions in the shipping memo up in post #1:

Well, the claim form asks for specific information including sales receipts, so I don't think I'm going to be able to continue telling them I was shipping a home made food product. Do I file a claim, or just write this off as a bad experience? I'm not going to leave my recipient high and dry, but I'm not really sure I want to deal with this again. I did a little more poking around, and I found this on the FedEx website.

http://www.fedex.com/us/developer/p...elp/Services/Options/c_AlcoholShipping-2.html

It seems that Mr Talleymonster above may have provided some rather poor advice. All we have to do is sign an alcohol shipment agreement, identify that the contents of the package contain alcohol, insure that an adult is available at the recipient location, and pay the alcohol shipment surcharge. Talk about a PITA! And who knows how much the surcharge would be.

So now I'm thinking maybe the package was not completely destroyed. Maybe instead, one bottle broke, and when they realized that the contents contained alcohol, they confiscated it. Either that, or the driver decided to help himself to the unbroken ones.

I'm pretty frustrated at this moment. If anyone has some advice, I'm all ears.

Personally, I don't think he gave you poor advise. Many of us do a lot of shipping and trading and that is the standard procedure we use. The surcharge is expensive and if you have to pay that each time you ship, it really adds up. If you pack correctly, its very rare to have a broken bottle and even if you have a broken bottle, no one would know it.

My advise would be to chock it up as a loss and a learning experience. Resend a package to your recipient and do a little more research about how to package beer. I'm not calling you out or saying that you packaged wrong the first time, just that these shipping companies can be pretty brutal with packages sometimes and better to be proactive than reactive.

At the very least you should be able to get your shipping cost refunded, I would think.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!

Personally, I don't think he gave you poor advise. Many of us do a lot of shipping and trading and that is the standard procedure we use. The surcharge is expensive and if you have to pay that each time you ship, it really adds up. If you pack correctly, its very rare to have a broken bottle and even if you have a broken bottle, no one would know it.

My advise would be to chock it up as a loss and a learning experience. Resend a package to your recipient and do a little more research about how to package beer. I'm not calling you out or saying that you packaged wrong the first time, just that these shipping companies can be pretty brutal with packages sometimes and better to be proactive than reactive.

At the very least you should be able to get your shipping cost refunded, I would think.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!

I'm going to have to disagree with you. After all, we are shipping alcohol, so the more I think about, by not following the FedEx procedure we are at the very least putting ourselves in the position of having no recourse when the package is damaged, and in the worst case it is quite possible that we're breaking federal law. At the same time, it is each of our own responsibilities to insure that we comply with the law, which is why I'm not blaming Talleymonster for my personal issue, just warning others to take care in heeding his advice. Any time someone advises you to lie about something, red flags ought to go up. And just because lots of people are doing something, doesn't make it right. I think we can all agree on that.

As far as my packing, no offense was taken by your comment, but I can assure you that I am a very meticulous person, and it was packaged above and beyond the capability of surviving ordinary rough handling. Remember, FedEx said that the package was completely destroyed, not just leaking a little beer.

On a happier note. I got this in the mail today. All safe and Dayum Good Looking. Super excited. I just threw em in the fridge. To taste soon, I say.

1397075701699.jpg

I'm going to have to disagree with you. After all, we are shipping alcohol, so the more I think about, by not following the FedEx procedure we are at the very least putting ourselves in the position of having no recourse when the package is damaged, and in the worst case it is quite possible that we're breaking federal law. At the same time, it is each of our own responsibilities to insure that we comply with the law, which is why I'm not blaming Talleymonster for my personal issue, just warning others to take care in heeding his advice. Any time someone advises you to lie about something, red flags ought to go up. And just because lots of people are doing something, doesn't make it right. I think we can all agree on that.

As far as my packing, no offense was taken by your comment, but I can assure you that I am a very meticulous person, and it was packaged above and beyond the capability of surviving ordinary rough handling. Remember, FedEx said that the package was completely destroyed, not just leaking a little beer.

But did you actually go further than the link you provided:

Overview. Only properly licensed wholesalers, licensed dealers, licensed distributors, licensed manufacturers, licensed retailers or licensed importers may ship wine via FedEx® services. Consumers may not ship wine or alcohol of any type via FedEx services.

We. the general public, can't sign up with FedEx to be allowed to ship alcohol. There is no way around it - if you want to ship beer, you have to break terms of service.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. After all, we are shipping alcohol, so the more I think about, by not following the FedEx procedure we are at the very least putting ourselves in the position of having no recourse when the package is damaged, and in the worst case it is quite possible that we're breaking federal law. At the same time, it is each of our own responsibilities to insure that we comply with the law, which is why I'm not blaming Talleymonster for my personal issue, just warning others to take care in heeding his advice. Any time someone advises you to lie about something, red flags ought to go up. And just because lots of people are doing something, doesn't make it right. I think we can all agree on that

it is not illegal to ship beer via Fedex/UPS. it is against their policy, which is instated because they use USPS to deliver packages in certain areas.:D

But did you actually go further than the link you provided:

Overview. Only properly licensed wholesalers, licensed dealers, licensed distributors, licensed manufacturers, licensed retailers or licensed importers may ship wine via FedEx® services. Consumers may not ship wine or alcohol of any type via FedEx services.

We. the general public, can't sign up with FedEx to be allowed to ship alcohol. There is no way around it - if you want to ship beer, you have to break terms of service.

it is not illegal to ship beer via Fedex/UPS. it is against their policy, which is instated because they use USPS to deliver packages in certain areas.:D

How about some links. Canti, I did not see that page, but I would like to, especially prior to raising any more of a stink with FedEx over my damaged/ destroyed/ undelivered package.

And coyote, without a cite of some sort, all you're providing is your opinion. I'm betting that their policies have more to do with laws regarding the distribution of alcohol, and the possibility of delivering it to a minor, than violating the USPS policy.

TX man, nobodies trying to cite sources here. This is a friendly beer sharing thread. I'd you wanna debate over FedEx policy and proper shipping methods maybe make a new thread.

How about some links. Canti, I did not see that page, but I would like to, especially prior to raising any more of a stink with FedEx over my damaged/ destroyed/ undelivered package.

Sure - from the page you gave earlier there is a link to get started on filling out the needed paperwork: fedex.com/us/wine/gettingstarted.html

From there I went to the "getting started" link and then "who can ship to whom" which leads you here: https://smallbusiness.fedex.com/international/shipping-wine/who-can-ship.html

That contains the paragraph I quoted earlier. Hope that helps.

A package is sitting on someones porch right now :) i definetaly want some feedback

Not to jump in the middle of the debate, but my package just arrived safe and sound threw fedex. I packaged it well, never had anyone ask what was in it, or any problems stated online. Makes me think that your package was destroyed. Mabe the truck crashed and blew up or something. Sounds far fetched, but it easily could be a number of things. People make mistakes, and crazy things happen

Well I just PM'd my review of a citra smash ipa. And moved on to this Black Out. I haven't tasted it. I just wanted to show off! Take a look. Black as night my friends. That turns me on haha

1397178170924.jpg

Well I just PM'd my review of a citra smash ipa. And moved on to this Black Out. I haven't tasted it. I just wanted to show off! Take a look. Black as night my friends. That turns me on haha

And that wasn't the hoppy version ;( The only bottle I have left of that is a 2liter plastic bottle.

I am waiting till the first of next week to ship. Just wanted to let my recipient know I did not forget, I am waiting for my alt to finish so I can bottle and send it off.

Received my shipment today. Made it all the way from Oregon with all bottles intact. These are all styles I have not had before. What is the CBDS brew?

20140412_133648_zps4q4pos1b.jpg

Received my shipment today. Made it all the way from Oregon with all bottles intact. These are all styles I have not had before. What is the CBDS brew?

20140412_133648_zps4q4pos1b.jpg

Nice! Glad they made it safe.

BDS - Bourbon Barrel Aged Belgian Dark Strong

RIS - Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout

Pump - Pumpkin Spice Beer (carbonation might be off)

CBDS - Bourbon Barrel Aged Belgian Dark Strong w/cherries

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Mine was delivered Thursday to al, but no response. I hope someone grabbed it off there porch :/

Sorry it took so long for me to post pic but I've had 2 computers (my laptop and desktop) have issues not allowing internet access in the same week ..sigh..
So I have procured use of SWMBO's to upload this. I haven't tryied any yet as I let them settle a few days but I will probably try 1 or 2 tonight.

I saw the same Blakkr Imperial Black Ale in someone elses gift box and am very excited about it.

Box included

Surly Hell Lager
Blakkr made by Three Floyds, Surly and Real Ale Brewing collaboration
Steel Toe Brewing Size 7 IPA

Homebrews:
Kolsh
Sort of a white ale? Leffe? I'm not sure! (haha love this)
Da Yoopers Pale w/ Chinook (excited to try as Ive been thinking about brewing this)
Cream of Three Crops Biermunchers 2nd All grain (This one too)
Lakewalk Pale Ale 1st all grain
Mojave Red

Thanks sompls

WP_20140408_003[1].jpg

Here sompls version of Yooper's House Pale w/ Chinook

I really like this beer, it has good creamy mouthfeel to it. I typically don't like chinook hops but it works in this brew and has an enjoyable hop/malt balance. I assume this was an extract since others say all grain. Did you use vienna or munich extract and MO like the recipe calls or just a light and amber extracts.

WP_20140412_001[1].jpg

Hey Zoidberg, thanks for the feedback...I did a partial mash using the vienna, munich and crystal, replacing the pale malt with light DME. I had made the original some time ago using the cascade the recipe calls for and so liked it that I made up three small batches using the chinook in one, falconers flight in another and centennial as well. I thought the recipe would be a good one for me to really get a handle on how different hops worked. I agree I thought the chinook did well, didn't really think the centennial did that great but I liked the falconers flight (probably why I didn't have any of that to send!) The original recipe is still one of my favorites and I'm planning on giving it a go soon all grain this time.

My package is going out tomorrow or latest thursday. Sry its a day after deadline too. But its been a time crunch lately and ha to set up a new computer unexpectedly. Losing track of time these days.

Latest posts

Back