Crushed too fine and now this in boil....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex4mula

Reaction score
My crushed gap was a little off and went to adjust it to 0.043. Usually I use 0.048 o my Mash & Boil. When I crushed it the grain looked a little too mush. When I started to recirculate it started to have problems. Anyway, the mash went ok and sparge was slower but got the volume and pre-boil OG. But now I see that a lot of small grain matter went through the bottom basket grill into the wort. What effect should I expect of this? More bitter beer? Lot's of off flavors? At this point I'm going for the full ride anyway. This is a Great Lakes Edmunds Fitzgerald porter clone recipe. Tks
https://www.homebrewing.org/assets/images/Recipe_Instructions_2019/ag99-1975.pdf

A1.jpg
A2.jpg

Well, since this is a first to me maybe I'm over reacting. I have my process pretty well define by now so was thrown off by this problem. The wort I think tasted normal and got the proper OG. Will see in 3-4 weeks.

You’ll be fine as long as you can get it cleaned up before serving.

Well, since this is a first to me maybe I'm over reacting.

Pretty much sums up the majority of my brewing career so far haha! The last batch I decided not to care about anything that went wrong, just rolled with it, wrote it down, and pitched my yeast. Then, in a frantic 5 mins after pitching, I consulted the forum and pitched a second pack... I should have tasty beer in another 2 weeks! It's sometimes hard to remember that no matter how bad I mess something up, beer still gets made in the end.

Back