Gravity too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, okay so let me make sure I've got this right. The yeast says ideal range is 59-75, which made me think 70ish room would be fine. But in actuality, I want the wort itself more on the low end, like 60-65. And because of the heat it's generating, the ambient temperature would need to be more like 50-55? Which realistically means not relying on the ambient temperature, but doing an occasional ice bath or something and babysitting the temperature, at least for a few days.
Ambient temperature is going to cool or heat your wort differently depending on air flow, fermenter material, shape and surface area. The only way to know is to measure the wort temperature directly.

I used to float my plastic conical in a water bath (plastic garbage can) for the first couple of days to get better heat transfer capacity until I built my fermentation chamber. Now, I have a chest freezer powered through an Inkbird controller that takes it's temperature control from a thermowell in the conical There is also an oil pan heater in the chest freezer that is connected to the warm side of the controller output and a computer fan that runs full time in there circulating the air. I spliced an auto electrical connector inline on the 10K NTC temperature probe and picked up some spares so I can swap things in and out of the chamber for fermenting anything from kveik ales to lagers or storage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back