Brew Bucket owners - What Mini Fridge are you using ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@steveoatley Thanks for posting the pics with doom lid inside the sam club cooler. I had looked at the doom lids before as an easy way to add dry hops but was not sure if it would fit. May reconsider getting one after all.

Are you able to slide the brew bucket into the cooler with the lid and blow off attached?

I bought my sam club cooler about 8 months ago, with a 7gal brew bucket using a standard lid there is 5.25in from the top edge of the lid to the bottom of control panel. There is additional space further back in the cooler but it seems like a tight squeeze right in the front.

@steveoatley Thanks for posting the pics with doom lid inside the sam club cooler. I had looked at the doom lids before as an easy way to add dry hops but was not sure if it would fit. May reconsider getting one after all.

Are you able to slide the brew bucket into the cooler with the lid and blow off attached?

Yes,
With the Doomed Lid in place, and the TC in place, and my hose hanging off to the side.
You will have to Tilt the whole thing backward a little, to get under the Front Display - the Temp Read out part

and slide it back into the mini fridge....

I too bought the Domed lid for Hop Addtions
And with the SS Brewtch TC with Blow off
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collecti...17-mm-blow-off-hole-and-pressure-relief-valve

I am going to try the CO2 back pressure - No O2 keg fill ( LoDo )
Using a little CO2 push of beer into keg.... The Blow off valve will protect/keep CO2 over pressure.

I'll let you know if it works

Steve

Anyone know if the top of the Tramontina is free of obstructions to cut a hole for a tap? I no longer need it for my bucket and instead would like to convert it into a kegerator. The heat clearly dissipates from the sides but not sure if there is wiring or something else running through the top.

I'd like to know the answer to this whether or not the Tramontina is safe to create holes in the top as well. If no-one knows I may test it out sometime soon.

I will be giving it a go this weekend and will revert back.

I completed the conversion today. Long story short, it’s quite easy to convert to a kegerator - no major obstacles to avoid based on where I positioned the tower. I’ll write up the specs and post them in the next day or so.

IMG_0472.jpg

I converted an older small GE mini fridge that was left in the house when we purchased it. I had to cut the inside of the door apart to remove the shelving but the brew bucket fits in there nicely. I added the domed lid with a 3" TC 90 blow off barb. I use this for blow off every beer and I also used to it to connect CO2 to cold crash under a small amount of pressure and to transfer to the keg. The small fridge fits both the bucket and a 5 lb CO2 tank with regulator. It has worked incredibly well with the first beer with 4 oz of dry hop. Pushed the hops down to the bottom and the racking arm allowed me to transfer clear beer without any hops clogging the ball lock connection on the keg.

Has anybody tried the NewAir AB-1200? I like how it’s not as wide as the Tramontina. I don’t think I could fit two Tramontinas side by side under my 48” work table due to the legs. The interior dimensions look right for the NewAir, but I’m not sure about the compressor hump.

edit: I emailed the company, and just heard back. Including the response here in case anybody else has the same question I did.

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'd be happy to assist.

The AB-1200's compressor hump extends 6 inches from the back of the unit and is 7 inches high, leaving just under 8 inches of depth on the bottom of the unit with a width of about 15 inches.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out to us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

Last edited:
Could somebody with the Tramontina unit possibly measure the interior height for me? I have a brewbucket as well with a dome lid and want to know if I can use the stainless steel blow off cane they sell with it or if it will be too high. Looks like it needs about 27.5 inches to fit. I can only find exterior height. Thanks!

Could somebody with the Tramontina unit possibly measure the interior height for me? I have a brewbucket as well with a dome lid and want to know if I can use the stainless steel blow off cane they sell with it or if it will be too high. Looks like it needs about 27.5 inches to fit. I can only find exterior height. Thanks!
The height of the ceiling varies a bit throughout. For example, there's a panel with the LCD temperature readout at the very front of the fridge and the height below that is ~26/5 inches, so anything tall might get caught up on that.

Once you're past that panel though, the height increases a little bit to just slightly over 27.5 inches. That makes me think that the brew bucket with the domed lid + blow off cane might barely fit, but I also think you're going to have some issues trying to get the unit into the fridge when it's full.

The Brew Bucket will fit with the Domed Lid
But.... you need a 90 degree to run the blow off hose

see pic

Steve

Attachments

• domed lid.jpg
    domed lid.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 331
Anyone know if you can fit two MINI brew buckets (3.5g) into one of these Tramontinas? I'm looking at this as a fermentation chamber for small batches in my apartment, to be hidden away in a bedroom closet.

The mini brew buckets are listed as 9" diameter x 16" height

Thanks for the measurements @ba-brewer -- I've browsed around and seen some other folks' (partial) measurements that would suggest you're being conservative? Either way, sounds like two mini brew buckets will fit on that shelf just fine

Actually now that I look again, AIH says the mini brew buckets are 8.5in diameter at the base but 11in diameter at the top. In which case I'm thinking they probably won't fit, unless one can be placed on the base and another propped up on the hump, potentially staggering their heights enough to make it fit.

So, anyone ever actually tried to fit two mini brew buckets in the Tramontina?

Might have better luck with 2 3gal better bottle carboys, morebeers says they are 7.5in x 7.5in x 19.5in at $25 a piece.

They could sit down on the lower section in front of the hump.

Sorry !!! I forgot to post, that i found something

I did find a good option at Sams Club

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/126-can-dsv-in-club-886159/prod18910248.ip

Fits SS Brew Bucket
Fits Glass 6.5 g Carboy
Fits Plastic Brew Bucket

No modification needed to fit - just take out the glass shelves

Here is a pic, with the SS brew Bucket

View attachment 359440

I just bought one of these and I see you have an external temp controller hooked up. What did you have to do to get it going or was it plug and play? I wasn't sure if you had to disconnect the built in digital thermostat. Thanks ahead of time.

Tony

I just bought one of these and I see you have an external temp controller hooked up. What did you have to do to get it going or was it plug and play? I wasn't sure if you had to disconnect the built in digital thermostat. Thanks ahead of time.

Tony

I set my chiller to minimum and control the power with a external controller and probe on the fermentor. I ran the probe wire thru the evaporation weeping hole. I was able to squeeze a power cord with the end cut off thru the same hole to control a heating pad.

****Update Update Update****
For anyone with this fridge and an inkbird itc-308 you can override the digital thermostat easily. First things first, unplug the mini fridge from its power source. Next, grab short handled Phillips head and unscrew the small black box mounted to the underside of the machine next to the compressor. Inside you will see a board and what you are looking for is the connection all the way at the back labeled TO DIS. I set mine outside the box, do with yours what you are comfortable with. Now plug the fridge into the inkbird and set to your preferences. The bad news is you won't have a digital display or a light but I can live with this for now.

That's probably easier than what I was thinking. I picked up a Inkbird 308 and was going to try to override the built in thermostat. It seems like when I set it to 61 the actual temperature is 64. Fermentation would probably kick that up a few more degrees I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Inside you will see a board and what you are looking for is the connection all the way at the back labeled TO DIS. I set mine outside the box, do with yours what you are comfortable with.

Antonio,

Can you explain what you mean by " i set mine outside the box"
Did you remove the small circuit board entirely ? unplug something from it ??

Photos ?

Thanks
Steve

Antonio,

Can you explain what you mean by " i set mine outside the box"
Did you remove the small circuit board entirely ? unplug something from it ??

Photos ?

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

I unplugged the connection from the control board, shown at the bottom right of the attached photo, and made sure it was outside of the cover when it was secured to the bottom of the fridge. As you can see it is currently holding within .4 degrees of the set temp. I also ran the temperature probe through the drain hole. You will need to drill the drain hole out from the inside in order for it to fit. I had to tie it off with string and fish it through.... I suggest you feed the string through from the inside and then tie it to your probe and pull it through. Trying to go from the drain to the inside will just frustrate you. Hope this helps.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_20180420_145213.jpg
    IMG_20180420_145213.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 469
  • IMG_20180420_145438.jpg
    IMG_20180420_145438.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20180420_145824.jpg
    IMG_20180420_145824.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Has anybody tried the NewAir AB-1200? I like how it’s not as wide as the Tramontina. I don’t think I could fit two Tramontinas side by side under my 48” work table due to the legs. The interior dimensions look right for the NewAir, but I’m not sure about the compressor hump.

edit: I emailed the company, and just heard back. Including the response here in case anybody else has the same question I did.

Did you end up going with this one / confirming that it fits the brew bucket?

Just finished my installation using FermWrap for heat on an Inkbird 308. Fishing the temp probe and wiring for the wrap was a beast. I ended up cutting the heating pad cord and soldering connectors on to feed independently.

I move frequently and plan to tuck the inkbird and heater plug into the compressor compartment during moves.

Going to pick one of these up this weekend and use with a bucket for now. Trying to decide if next upgrade will be a brew bucket or the fastferment now that there is a 3 gallon one. Dimensions on the site looks like it will fit. Anyone ever try?

I picked up two of these last weekend. 45 bottle Vinotemp wine coolers. They were on the local classifieds and they were new in box. The temperature range is 41 - 68 degrees. The brew bucket just barely touches the inside of the door but I used a couple of coasters under each front leg and it fits fine. With the bottom shelf installed a 7 gallon plastic brew bucket with airlock fits just fine without any contact anywhere.

Fermentation.jpg Fermenter.jpg

Just picked up a tramontina mini fridge the other weekend so I can start temp control with 5 gallon batches. Like others said the brewbucket just fits with the glass grazing the temp screen. The fermonster 7 gallon fits inside with room to spare also. I’m thinking about picking up another one after seeing it being turned into a kegerator!

Excuse the mess, the fridge is shoved in the corner of the basement while the brewing area is being built

Attachments

• 5EF6BA75-1027-4DF6-A141-2A5055FD3AFE.jpeg
    5EF6BA75-1027-4DF6-A141-2A5055FD3AFE.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 408
A little off topic but when you guys are using the domed lid with 3” TC and the 90 degree blow off tube, what are you guys doing to prevent suck back of liquid during cold crash?

I have a 3" TC with a 90 degree barb soldered onto it. So I just pull off the blow off tubing and attach tubing hooked up to a spare 5 lb CO2 tank that I have and apply very low pressure. Then I use that to push to the keg as well. Has worked great so far.

Does anyone know how to disable the "beep" every time the Tramontina fridge starts back up? I have the fridge in a room I spend time in, and every time the Inkbird kicks the fridge back on, it beeps.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

So far it seems like the Tramontinas are doing the job. I’m leaning toward using one, but the reviews are all over the place at Sam’s and Amazon.

Y’all seem to have clarified a lot regarding the noise and such, but can anyone report back, especially after having used them for a while, about any smell coming from the inside of the unit? A lot of reviews mention a chemical smell and that it even gets into their drinks they store inside the unit.

Any other advice from the long-time users would be appreciated, too.

Just a heads up, it looks like Sam's is going to have the Tramontina for sale on Black Friday--$140 with free shipping. I'm thinking about picking up one or two.

No updates on any smell coming from these? I’d love to jump on that deal, but I still want to hear from any long-term users for more info.

No updates on any smell coming from these? I’d love to jump on that deal, but I still want to hear from any long-term users for more info.

Definitely a plastic/camphor odor inside the box, but it has not impacted flavor of any of any fermentations. I also use one as an aging fridge and the canned/bottled stouts coming from the fridge are still quite tasty.

I'll leave the door open on the ferm fridge for a few days to see if the smell dissipates.

Just a heads up, it looks like Sam's is going to have the Tramontina for sale on Black Friday--$140 with free shipping. I'm thinking about picking up one or two.

Definitely picking up two, now that I just snagged a pair of 7 Gallon BrewBuckets for $338, thanks to eBay's 15% off everything sale.

What's the best bet for heating these? I'm looking at maybe attaching seedling mats to the refrigerator walls, putting a carboy heater on the cone of the bucket, or putting a small hair dryer on the floor inside the fridge.

Last edited:
Definitely a plastic/camphor odor inside the box, but it has not impacted flavor of any of any fermentations. I also use one as an aging fridge and the canned/bottled stouts coming from the fridge are still quite tasty.

I'll leave the door open on the ferm fridge for a few days to see if the smell dissipates.
I wiped down the inside surfaces and left the door open for a few days. After closing it up this morning and leaving closed for most of the day, the plastic smell is still there. Not as bad as before, so perhaps it will lessen as the fridge ages.

These are still a great buy, and I have no concerns with the plastic smell infusing through the fermentor and into the beer.

Hey all you Owners of the SS Brew Bucket

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/fermenters/products/brewbucket

What Mini Fridges are yous guy putting them in for Temp control ?
( or wine coolers )

I was hoping there was a specific Make/Model that did not need any Collar
to make it work ??? Looks like 4.4 Cu ft is right ?

I am not having a lot of luck - as i can only measure the inside of Mini Fridges
that are actually in stock as Home Depot or sears - and the picking are slim

Thanks
Steve
I ordered the Magic Chef from Home Depot. It'll hold my 7 gallon SS Brewtech brew bucket when I'm doing larger batches, or I can get my SS mini brew bucket and a Mr Beer fermenter in there at same time. Works great. Mine is 4.4 cubic feet freezerless and I use an inkbird for temp control.
It's out in my garage and it is a champ.

Back