Brew Bucket owners - What Mini Fridge are you using ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we have confirmation on the Speidel fitting or not? What if you made a stand so that it can sit at the level of the hump?

Do we have confirmation on the Speidel fitting or not? What if you made a stand so that it can sit at the level of the hump?

FestBier

I do not own a Speidel, so i can not say for sure.

I measure from the compressor hump to the glass door as - 12 inches
From on top of the compressor hump to the glass door as - 16.5 inches

Speidel seems to be 14.5 inches around
but not sure if it would fit on top of the hump with an air lock

Do you have an empty Speidel - you could take it o Sam's and try?
The Sam's i bought mine at, had a Display model i got my measurements from

hope this helps

S

Yeah that helps. I think it will fit as far as depth and width are concerned. I'm wondering about the height now, sitting on the hump. The Speidel is 18.5 inches tall without that massive airlock. I could just use a blowoff tube if it fits.

I have the Total inside height as 26 inches from bottom to the LED

I did not measure from the hump to the top

Maybe it will fit

S

I just bought 2 of these fridges. I also have the Speidel. Unfortunately, it does not fit on the floor. If you insert the shelf that fits over the hump, the Speidel will fit, but there is no room for the airlock or the Speidel cover. You'd have to put foil over the top and even then it's very very tight. I'm using big mouth bubblers.

I'm liking these fridges although on one of them, the LCD light comes on randomly every couple days. Not a big enough deal for me to deal with the hassle of returning it.

I just bought 2 of these fridges. I also have the Speidel. Unfortunately, it does not fit on the floor. If you insert the shelf that fits over the hump, the Speidel will fit, but there is no room for the airlock or the Speidel cover. You'd have to put foil over the top and even then it's very very tight. I'm using big mouth bubblers.

That's exactly what I came up with. I started a new thread on this.

After a ruined batch of Saison that hit 83 F and tastes like paint thinner, I finally broke down and got something for one of my 7 gallon BrewBuckets. Over the past year of looking at different options here are the criteria used to select a fridge:
- Big enough to fit the BrewBucket with room to maneuver
- No modifications to the BrewBucket or fridge
- No freezer to contend with multiple temperature zones
- Able to cool down fairly quickly
- Not too big so I can buy a 2nd one eventually for my other BrewBucket

Last week, I finally pulled the trigger on an EdgeStar Ultra Low Temp Refrigerator for Kegerator Conversion

It was originally listed at $319, dropped to $303 with free shipping. Even better was they offered 6 months same as cash and an additional $20 discount for financing. Plus I have the option to easily convert it to a kegerator at a future point - bonus! At less than $50 a month for the next half year, how could I say no? :mug:

Got it yesterday, unpacked it and since I was never able to get good information about the internal dimensions, came the moment of truth. I put in my BrewBucket and it has plenty of space! I was planning on using the 90 degree airlock fitting, but could easily use my regular airlock if I choose.

I'm planning on brewing an Imperial IPA this weekend and will see how well it works, but so far I couldn't be happier with my decision. I included a few pics so you can get an idea of its size next to my 10.1 cubic foot fridge and how much room there is inside.

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The beverage cooler still working good for you guys? Thinking about getting two of these.

Mine is doing good. Just wish I could get it down to 32. 39 is as low it goes.

This Magic Chef 52 bottle wine cooler works. It is also sold under the Vissani name. They appear on Craigslist frequently for $100-$150. I don't think they are made any more but if you can find one used at the right price, go for it. I've been using one for 3 years and just bought another.

http://ftp.mcappliance.com/productdetailpage.aspx?ModelName=MCWC52B

Depending on your needs you may wish to bypass the thermostat and use an external temperature controller. There are instructions for that in the STC -1000 build thread. The wiring diagram on the back is easy to follow too, you just cut 2 wires and splice them together with a wire nut.

Ok I'm gonna go get a few then. Thanks guys. It will be nice to have two zones to ferment in.

Here's another option- I just picked one up from my local Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-4-4-cu-ft-Mini-Refrigerator-with-Freezerless-Design-in-Stainless-Steel-HMAR440ST/207169805

Fits a brew bucket almost perfectly. The ridge in the center of the door pushes on the brew bucket when the door is closed, so I think I will trim that off.
Also fits a 6g carboy, 2-3g better bottles, or a 5g corny.
Was able to hit 30F no problem when I hooked up my STC-1000 controller.

I almost when with that model
It was considerably MORE expensive last spring !!
I went with the Sam's club version, for the glass door, i can see the bubbles !
AND, the Trantomina from Sam's has a Drain at the back, i used a 1/2 inch drill
and opened up that hole - and i can run my heat pad cord & Thermo prob cord threw the hole... no external cords to see

At $118 - i would have gone with the Magic Chef - they were over $200 back in the spring

Must be that Black Friday pricing !!

my 2 cents

Yes, it's a black friday, well, pre-black friday deal.
There is a drain hole in the raised back part on the Magic Chef that can be drilled out for cords.
No bubbles to watch in a brew bucket, so the glass door isn't a big deal for me. Can't beat the price.

Yes, it's a black friday, well, pre-black friday deal.
There is a drain hole in the raised back part on the Magic Chef that can be drilled out for cords.
No bubbles to watch in a brew bucket, so the glass door isn't a big deal for me. Can't beat the price.

Do you feel like you would be able to lager in this fridge? I wasn't sure if you would be able to maintain that low of temps over an extended time. I'm torn between this and a small chest freezer.

Do you feel like you would be able to lager in this fridge? I wasn't sure if you would be able to maintain that low of temps over an extended time. I'm torn between this and a small chest freezer.

I think it can lager fine. I was able to get it down to 30f ambient no problem.
I just stuck a brew bucket with 5.5g water and set it to 33F. I'll let you know how it does. I'm kicking around the idea of picking up another one for lagering.
Long term use? Who knows?

I think it can lager fine. I was able to get it down to 30f ambient no problem.
I just stuck a brew bucket with 5.5g water and set it to 33F. I'll let you know how it does. I'm kicking around the idea of picking up another one for lagering.
Long term use? Who knows?

I picked one up from Home Depot last night so I'll be doing my own testing as well.

I ferment in the "mini fridge".

And lager in my Kererator.

I would imagine that a Freezer is better suited for lagering
as it was designed for low temps for long time

But - i have no extra space for an additional freezer
So you do what you gotta do to get by.....

my 2 cents

S

I picked one up from Home Depot last night so I'll be doing my own testing as well.

I was able to drop 5.5 gallons of beer from 69f to 36f over 24 hours. At that point it stalled out, until I added a small fan to help circulate the cold air. After adding the fan I'm able to maintain 31-32f.

I've been using the Tramontina for 2 taps for a while. I fit 2 corny kegs with the left one inside first. I'm currently doing mods to improve the room by recessing the temp sensor and making a mesh screen to cover it. I'm also installing a 24 oz paintball tank to supply co2, drip pan with drain hose, compact tower blower.

I also have a Danby 5.3 fridge that I'm building a dual tap kegerator.

I recently came across 2 mini freezers on clearance at Home Depot and I'll probably build 2 single tap kegerators out of them.

Thanks for tracking this down steveoatley! Got a brewbucket for my birthday and I'm a total sucker for the bling. Couldn't stand the thought of putting her in a chest freezer. :mug: :ban:

IMG_1097x.jpg

I'd say that is a great conversation piece for the living area. At least I would try to tell my wife that before it gets booted to the garage. Congrats!

I'm very close to running up to Sam's and picking up two of the Tramontina coolers as they are currently on sale at $159.

For those here that have had them for a bit, have you had any issues? Would you purchase them again? Anyone using them in a hot garage? They definitely look good!

The reviews are up and down so it seems that they could have a QC problem. Several comments seemed to indicate that earlier versions did not cool enough but Customer service would ship a replacement board that would allow for a lower temp. There's at least one comment that says newer units are already shipped with that mod. Also, there are comments about temperature variation from top to bottom but that can be solved with a fan to circulate air.

At that price I'd probably spring for the extended warranty even though I usually pass on warranties. Since these would only be on for short bursts of time when I am fermenting, the insurance policy might come in handy.

I've read a few reviews on the Tramontinas being realtively loud. Would you agree?

My concern is that if I were to use two of them they will be in a shared space for watching movies/sports and be loud enough to be annoying...

Sorry !!! I forgot to post, that i found something

I did find a good option at Sams Club

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/126-can-dsv-in-club-886159/prod18910248.ip

Fits SS Brew Bucket
Fits Glass 6.5 g Carboy
Fits Plastic Brew Bucket

No modification needed to fit - just take out the glass shelves

Here is a pic, with the SS brew Bucket

I have two of the Tramontinas and I don't think they're that loud... maybe when they first come on, but otherwise they don't seem too bad. However, if they're going to sit on the same place as where you're watching tv, then maybe they'd be annoying. Mine are in my brew room so I don't really notice them when I'm in there doing other stuff.

To the earlier post about the QC... I can't comment for sure as I've only had mine a few weeks, but so far so good... the temperature does come back on at whatever I had it previously set at, so they must have changed that. I have a beer in there right now and crash cooling a 5gal batch had issues getting it down below 40... maybe that air circulation thing you mentioned, so I'll pick up a cheap fan for each of them.

Can anyone recommend a decent temp controller? I bought a inkbird C919 (wifi controllable one) and I'm not happy with it. It may be user error, but it does a poor job of regulating temp. I was looking at a Johnson A419..

This is the fridge I have.

Whynter SNO WC-28S 28-Bottle Wine Cooler with Lock

deprecated

I'm not sure how to answer - How Loud they are.....
I have 2 of them in my Brewery.
The pic is the East end of my brewing space - my brewery about 150 sq ft total.
They are "up" on the racks so i can use gravity to keg.....

I also have a 2 x 4 spacer on the back of the rack, so i don't press them
right up against the insulation on the wall ( give them room to breath )

When both of them are running - it sounds like it....like a fridge ( full size )
But considering that i have a Cement floor, and plastic FRP on the walls
My Brewery is a very "loud' place - no soft surfaces to deaden any sound.

That being said, my brewery is only missing a door, that separates it from the rest of the basement, and if i am in the other part of my basement
I only Hear them, when they come on - that compressor "clunk"

The instructions state that they are NOT made to be '"enclosed"
ie. built into a bar - that will shorten their life span

They are in my basement - and that puts them 2 floors away from anyone sleeping - so they are not so loud that my family has noticed the noise... on another floor.

I would agree they are not quite....they are about the the same level as my FAN when i am brewing, and its set to LOW....

Does that help?

my 2 cents.

S

DSC_6078.jpg

Can anyone recommend a decent temp controller? I bought a inkbird C919 (wifi controllable one) and I'm not happy with it. It may be user error, but it does a poor job of regulating temp. I was looking at a Johnson A419..

This is the fridge I have.

Whynter SNO WC-28S 28-Bottle Wine Cooler with Lock

I always recommend the Cheap DIY BrewPi. For price vs. function, I believe it can't be beat.

Steve, thanks for taking the time explain your setup using a couple of the Tramontinas and the noise they produce. As much as I like the setup you have and would like to do something similar, I think I'm going to hold off.

deprecated

I'm not sure how to answer - How Loud they are.....
I have 2 of them in my Brewery.
The pic is the East end of my brewing space - my brewery about 150 sq ft total.
They are "up" on the racks so i can use gravity to keg.....

I also have a 2 x 4 spacer on the back of the rack, so i don't press them
right up against the insulation on the wall ( give them room to breath )

When both of them are running - it sounds like it....like a fridge ( full size )
But considering that i have a Cement floor, and plastic FRP on the walls
My Brewery is a very "loud' place - no soft surfaces to deaden any sound.

That being said, my brewery is only missing a door, that separates it from the rest of the basement, and if i am in the other part of my basement
I only Hear them, when they come on - that compressor "clunk"

The instructions state that they are NOT made to be '"enclosed"
ie. built into a bar - that will shorten their life span

They are in my basement - and that puts them 2 floors away from anyone sleeping - so they are not so loud that my family has noticed the noise... on another floor.

I would agree they are not quite....they are about the the same level as my FAN when i am brewing, and its set to LOW....

Does that help?

my 2 cents.

S

The newer mini fridges seem to have a smaller compressor that older ones. Try to find a 30+in tall older one. I get a hobby brew conical in it. I also built a box around it for a 2 chamber setup.

I picked up one of the Tramontinas a few weeks ago. For a mini-fridge, it's pretty loud. I would never be able to tolerate it in a "living space" , but fortunately it's in the basement.

I cold-crashed 5 Gallons in a SS BrewBucket to 33F. It dropped from 75F to 40F pretty quickly, but then took a day or two to get from 40F to 34F.

So I got my Tramontina units set up today, here are a few observations...

1. The door IS actually reversible. When reading reviews on Sams Club website, I had read several people ask about the door and Tramontina customer service repeatedly said the door was NOT reversible. Maybe something changed on newer units, but I could tell right away mine was just by looking at it, and it has the instructions to do so in the manual.

2. Fit and Finish - Not that great, the stainless trim on one of my doors has some waves in it, nothing that affects functionality but doesn't look great. Probably not enough to warrant taking it back, but I may still reach out to their CS to see what they say.

3. Noise - I don't think they are obnoxiously loud, but as someone else here has said, I would not want one of these in my living room as I am trying to watch TV or something.

Overall I can't wait to get some brews in these and see how they do.

32504191582_5b8b12b76d_c.jpg

Back