Brew Bucket owners - What Mini Fridge are you using ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveoatley

someone has to fail, so the rest of you look good
Reaction score
Hey all you Owners of the SS Brew Bucket

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/fermenters/products/brewbucket

What Mini Fridges are yous guy putting them in for Temp control ?
( or wine coolers )

I was hoping there was a specific Make/Model that did not need any Collar
to make it work ??? Looks like 4.4 Cu ft is right ?

I am not having a lot of luck - as i can only measure the inside of Mini Fridges
that are actually in stock as Home Depot or sears - and the picking are slim

Thanks
Steve

Any one else find a mini Fridge that fits your Brew Bucket well ?

Thanks

S

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to be much help except for hope.
I picked up a craigslist winefridge for 70 bucks to create a fermentation chamber.
I measured it prior to getting the BrewBucket, fitting in was a huge part of the decision. I had to only remove the slide in shelves, it fit my 6.5G carboy with blow-off, but was very tight.
The capacity says 130L/4.6 Cft, the compressor is a HUAYI.
"Chateau Ste Michelle Refrigerator Cooler" Distributed by Asian Products Supply, St Paul MN
IMG_2033_zpstlxvy6k7.jpg

I'm not going to be much help except for hope.
I picked up a craigslist winefridge for 70 bucks to create a fermentation chamber.
I measured it prior to getting the BrewBucket, fitting in was a huge part of the decision. I had to only remove the slide in shelves, it fit my 6.5G carboy with blow-off, but was very tight.
The capacity says 130L/4.6 Cft, the compressor is a HUAYI.
"Chateau Ste Michelle Refrigerator Cooler" Distributed by Asian Products Supply, St Paul MN
IMG_2033_zpstlxvy6k7.jpg

Thanks for the info...

I'll start looking

S

The advantage of the wine fridge is that you don't have to deal with the freezer shelf. The disadvantage is that the compressor isn't as powerful and it takes me 12+ hrs to coldcrash from 72F to 40F.

To be fair I do not know how many bottles of wine it would hold and that seems to be how these things get marketed.

I did put in a STC1000 controller, bi-passed the thermostat(with a stickered warning upon my demise) and added a flex-a-watt heater section. Also serves as a carbing/conditioning chamber for my bottles when the room is cold.

The bottom inside of mine is 11.25" from side of compressor shelf to edge and about 17.25" wide. the glass door has about 1/2" total from glass to end of seal.

I just ordered two of the Haier 150 can beverage coolers, model HBCN05FVS from Sam's Club.
0068805738174_A

When closing the door it touches the temperature display on the front of the bucket, but because the display is rubber mounted it just straightens it out against the glass. This would be acceptable, but I figure that I will have a thermocouple in that location anyway (which won't stick out).

I have one of these and when I realized they would fit I started searching for more... but it looks like they are at the end of their lifecycle. The only decent price I found was Sam's ($169), but they were sold out. Today I noticed that they had a quantity of 5, so I went ahead and put in an order. Now they have 3 :)

I just ordered two of the Haier 150 can beverage coolers, model HBCN05FVS from Sam's Club.
0068805738174_A

When closing the door it touches the temperature display on the front of the bucket, but because the display is rubber mounted it just straightens it out against the glass. (My SSBB is the brewmaster edition with the temp display). This would be acceptable, but I figure that I will have a thermocouple in that location anyway (which won't stick out).

I have one of these and when I realized they would fit I started searching for more... but it looks like they are at the end of their lifecycle. The only decent price I found was Sam's ($169), but they were sold out. Today I noticed that they had a quantity of 5, so I went ahead and put in an order.

0068805738174_A

When closing the door it touches the temperature display on the front of the bucket, but because the display is rubber mounted it just straightens it out against the glass. This would be acceptable, but I figure that I will have a thermocouple in that location anyway (which won't stick out).

I have one of these and when I realized they would fit I started searching for more... but it looks like they are at the end of their lifecycle. The only decent price I found was Sam's ($169), but they were sold out. Today I noticed that they had a quantity of 5, so I went ahead and put in an order. Now they have 3 :)

I really like the glass front door, it will show off the fermenter.

sorry about the multiple posts, I was trying to edit it and something odd happened. Does anyone know how to remove a post?

0068805738174_A

I really like the glass front door, it will show off the fermenter.

Thanks for the info

I just tried Sams club - and they are now out of stock on line

Sams had the best price - everyone else has them for $300 or more !

So it must be a popular size for those SS Brew Buckets

EDIT: - and now there are none - anywhere in Sam's

S

Anyone else find something that fits your SS Brew Bucket

with out too much modification....??

Thx
S

bump

anyone have a model that fits good ?
with out modification ?

thx

S

I'm currently looking at a mini or a chest. I have been noticing that a small chest is about the same price or cheaper than a bigger mini (Smedium).

Here are Better Pics
Found on my phone - does anyone really own a camera any more ?

Testing each Fermentor.
These have no reflections - you can see that there is plenty of room

Brew Bucket
6.5 gal Carboy
SS Brew Bucket - 7 gal

I do not know why my pics upload sideways - there are not that way ?

Hope this helps

Steve

IMG_5007.jpg

IMG_5008.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

Here are Better Pics
Found on my phone - does anyone really own a camera any more ?

Testing each Fermentor.
These have no reflections - you can see that there is plenty of room

Brew Bucket
6.5 gal Carboy
SS Brew Bucket - 7 gal

I do not know why my pics upload sideways - there are not that way ?

Hope this helps

Steve[/What size is that. How many bottles will it hold .Sorry the link you posted isn't working for me .

Would a spidel fermentor fit in there? 13.5 diameter

TJ

I don't think so
I do not own a Spidel, so i can't say for sure

I measured the bottom - Hump to Door and got 12 inches
Now the cooler gets bigger toward the top
I measured from the CHILL plate at the back to the door - 16.5 inches

If you have an empty Spidel - take it to Sams Club, mine local Sam's has one out of the
box on display

I hope that was helpful
S

I might of got lucky my LHBS just upgraded therey eat fridge from something like this to a big commercial one. He said he'll sell me the old one for a pretty good price.

The only reservation I have is that when the controller cuts the power to the unit, when it comes back on, the unit resets itself to 45° instead of whatever I had it at. It's not a big deal for fermenting, but for cold crashing, I may just have to not use the controller.

The only reservation I have is that when the controller cuts the power to the unit, when it comes back on, the unit resets itself to 45° instead of whatever I had it at. It's not a big deal for fermenting, but for cold crashing, I may just have to not use the controller.

Check the Sams Club website - there are several reviews of the fridge
that people have called the Customer Service hot line, and got a NEW
circuit board - so that the fridge will get to 35 F

Do that ! They ship fast too !

That will help with the crash chilling.

I have the internal frdge temp set to 35 F, and my controller only runs the fridge
when it needs to - to keep temps in the right range
So sometimes it reads 65 F - when running
And then when i cold crash - the fridge temp read out says 35 F - when i am
doing that cold crash

S

Check the Sams Club website - there are several reviews of the fridge
that people have called the Customer Service hot line, and got a NEW
circuit board - so that the fridge will get to 35 F

Do that ! They ship fast too !

That will help with the crash chilling.

I have the internal frdge temp set to 35 F, and my controller only runs the fridge
when it needs to - to keep temps in the right range
So sometimes it reads 65 F - when running
And then when i cold crash - the fridge temp read out says 35 F - when i am
doing that cold crash

S

Mine goes to 35. I read somewhere that they're shipping them out that way now. It's just that when the STC-1000 controller I use shuts off the unit, the unit comes back on at 45. I'll just have to not use the controller when I'm cold crashing.

I use the Black Box for temp control

http://www.blackboxbrew.com/

And as far as i can tell, the Black Box turns off the Fridge - when heating... or its not needed

When I do Cold Crashes - the fridge internal read out say 35 F

Not sure how that happens - as i have not WATCHED the unit crash temps
I've only seen the fridge at stages of the crash - walk in
60 F
next day 40 F
next day 35 F

interesting............ rubs chin.............:confused:

Steve

I use the Black Box for temp control

http://www.blackboxbrew.com/

And as far as i can tell, the Black Box turns off the Fridge - when heating... or its not needed

When I do Cold Crashes - the fridge internal read out say 35 F

Not sure how that happens - as i have not WATCHED the unit crash temps
I've only seen the fridge at stages of the crash - walk in
60 F
next day 40 F
next day 35 F

interesting............ rubs chin.............:confused:

Steve

If you crash all at once, it's probably fine. If you do it slowly over several days, using a controller that turns off the fridge will cause the unit to be set at 45 when you turn it back on. It doesn't retain the setting you had when it loses power.

I finally unboxed one of them today and the Brew Bucket fits perfectly. Thanks for making me aware of this unit.

Also a keg will fit in it (but I think only 1). Bonus!

Have you confirmed that only 1 keg will fit in it? (what's the internal height?) I'd like to keep kegs in it when it's not on fermentation chamber duties.

Have you confirmed that only 1 keg will fit in it? (what's the internal height?) I'd like to keep kegs in it when it's not on fermentation chamber duties.

Height's not the problem. It's just not quite wide enough. There's a little plastic thing on the right side that might be removable and maybe two kegs can fit. But I don't need it for keg storage so I'm not going to remove it to find out.

Latest posts

Back