BeerSmith 2.2 Update Released 26 Nov 13

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could see Recipe Search being useful. I am surprised at how little gets added after a year. Must not be much money to be made in brewing software.

Be careful if you are upgrading...I think I just overwrote my old files...I can't find my recipes anywhere!!! (note: I'm freaking out and haven't really looked that hard or tried too many things...so this may be a false alarm...I hope it is)

Be careful if you are upgrading...I think I just overwrote my old files...

JLem,
This should not happen, but make a full backup copy of your BeerSmith recipes directory (it is Documents/BeerSmith2 on most machines) before going any farther, then drop me a note at beersmith at my beersmith.com address.

There are automatic backup files made which can recover data if needed. Not sure why you had an issue as we've had hundreds of people upgrade so far with no issues.

Brad Smith

Whirlpool calculator sounds like a nice improvement

Im not quite sure how this works. It doesn't ask for temperature so how can it assume any isomerzation?

For example: i put 10oz whirlpool/steep hops(%14 alpha) in a 6 gallon batch of and it says 228 IBU is added to recipe at 60 minutes. Just seems odd to me.

Im not quite sure how this works. It doesn't ask for temperature so how can it assume any isomerzation?

It is based on half the IBU utilization of a boil hops and a steep temperature of 90C. If you steep at a temperature much lower than that the utilization drops off significantly (around 25% at 80C for instance from what I could find in the literature). You can change the 50% number in Options->Bitterness if you steep at a low temp or even want to set it to zero so the IBUs will be zero.

To get a high IBU number you quote you would have to steep for a long time at very high temp (i.e. 60 minutes at 90C). Most home brewers don't do that, though a few commercial brewers do.

More typical is a 5-15 minute steep at 90C with a lot less than 10oz of hops - which will not add a huge number of IBUs. For example a 1 oz steep addition at 14% alpha for 10 minutes gives 8.2 IBUs.

Brad

JLem,
This should not happen, but make a full backup copy of your BeerSmith recipes directory (it is Documents/BeerSmith2 on most machines) before going any farther, then drop me a note at beersmith at my beersmith.com address.

There are automatic backup files made which can recover data if needed. Not sure why you had an issue as we've had hundreds of people upgrade so far with no issues.

Brad Smith

THanks, Brad. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to see what is going on...all I know is right after I upgraded and opened the program, none of my recipes were there (and I clicked on the same desktop icon I have been using for the previous version). I will look at things when I have some time and email you.

Thanks for the follow-up on this! (FWIW, this is the first "glitch" I've had with BeerSmith...and it is likely user-error...I absolutely love your program)

I upgraded to 2.2 and now i have no calculated ibus @ 5 and 10 min

I upgraded to 2.2 and now i have no calculated ibus @ 5 and 10 min

Can you go to BeerSmith.com and drop me a note with some details? Or even better send me a copy of the recipe you are having trouble with. Sometimes other settings such as the equipment can affect the IBU calculation.

What? How does that work?
Honestly after 10 years I've seen just about everything.

I have had people with zero boil volume in their equipment asking why the IBUs were zero, people who imported a poorly formatted recipe from another program where the "hop utilization factor" in the equipment was set to zero (which effectively gives zero IBUs), people with "zero" alpha hops, and yes, even people with equipment profiles that had negative volumes in them.

That is why I often ask people who have odd problems like this to send me a sample recipe in BeerSmith format and discuss it offline. Usually when the BeerSmith output numbers they quote are way off, it is because one of the inputs is way off as well.

It is something we can resolve pretty quickly if you want to use the contact us page at BeerSmith and then send me a recipe.

First rule of debugging a program is to double check the hardware between your head. Usually a problem is the result of user error.

Btw, I'm running the trial version until I get some funds (on Linux Mint and it's running flawlessly) and there seem to be some hops varieties missing even with the hops add-on. Also, from the equipment list the complete absence of a triple 15 gallon kettle setup is a little surprising and to be honest it's screwing me up mentally because I'm developing all-grain recipes with that sort of set-up in mind. I am compensating, but I thought it was a little weird.

Mindsculptor said:
First rule of debugging a program is to double check the hardware between your head. Usually a problem is the result of user error. Btw, I'm running the trial version until I get some funds (on Linux Mint and it's running flawlessly) and there seem to be some hops varieties missing even with the hops add-on. Also, from the equipment list the complete absence of a triple 15 gallon kettle setup is a little surprising and to be honest it's screwing me up mentally because I'm developing all-grain recipes with that sort of set-up in mind. I am compensating, but I thought it was a little weird.
Wow. There's probably a much better way to tell someone you think they're the problem with the software.

For example, you can add your own equipment setup and likely should. I know I did based on how my setup runs. ;)

The hardware between my ears seems to be working well, for the most part. ;) As for beersmith what ever was wrong with it at the time has seem to fix it self. A testament to the intuitive nature of your fine programing brad. All is good.

Wow. There's probably a much better way to tell someone you think they're the problem with the software.

Probably. Then again, I'm a computer geek before anything else and I've found I don't have much patience dealing with problems that are obvious fixes to me or preventable in the first place.

For example, you can add your own equipment setup and likely should. I know I did based on how my setup runs. ;)

Yeah, I deserved that ding. I wasn't aware you could do that, but I'll look how to now that I know it's possible.

I have 2.1 if I upgrade to 2.2 does that mean i have to purchase it or is the update free for those that already have earlier versions. I thank you for any information. Love BeerSmith. I have designed a lot of great beers using it in the last year.

2.1 to 2.2 is a free upgrade. Just open up your beersmith on your computer and under 'help' click on check for updates.

So I tried to download the newest version for Mac and something is wrong as it would not let me download newest version as it says I do not haver permission or it is not supported. I also cannot get into my original version. Should I move Beersmith app to Trash and re-download using my original registration key? Will I lose all my recipes and settings?

HELP!!!

I keep all my recipes in the cloud. I just upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2, and they are still there. I like the new look of the brew sheet too!

Does anyone else have the clunky mousewheel scrolling issue? If I open a recipe, and scroll down using the mouse wheel, it's extremely slow and stuttery. It seems like it has to repaint the ingredient list between every scroll adjustment (i.e. about half-line movement). I recall v2.0 having the same issue, but v2.1 resolved this issue - now it's back in 2.2r08.

Edit:
So I just tested: Opened a recipe; scrolled down; and it took about 9 seconds for the scrollbar to reach the bottom.

stpug, I'm not seeing that issue. Just opened BS up again and it upgraded to 2.2.09, so this may be something fixed with that build.

JoeSpartaNJ, you can also update BS2 by going to the website and downloading the latest version. Then just install over the existing folder. I did this with the original build and it worked OK, all the recipes and profiles came through just fine. You may want to back-up the folder just to make sure though.

Does anyone else have the clunky mousewheel scrolling issue? If I open a recipe, and scroll down using the mouse wheel, it's extremely slow and stuttery. It seems like it has to repaint the ingredient list between every scroll adjustment (i.e. about half-line movement). I recall v2.0 having the same issue, but v2.1 resolved this issue - now it's back in 2.2r08.

Edit:
So I just tested: Opened a recipe; scrolled down; and it took about 9 seconds for the scrollbar to reach the bottom.

No. It's fine for me.

Oginme and Yooper,

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe it's just my system, but let me just get reconfirmation on a clarification if you will. If I click on a recipe ingredient and scroll the ingredients, it's flawless and quick. However, if I click in the recipe 'Name' text box and then use the mouse wheel to scroll the "outer" portion of the recipe (not the ingredients) then I get the slow, stuttery effect. Is this also quick and responsive for you two?

Oginme and Yooper,

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe it's just my system, but let me just get reconfirmation on a clarification if you will. If I click on a recipe ingredient and scroll the ingredients, it's flawless and quick. However, if I click in the recipe 'Name' text box and then use the mouse wheel to scroll the "outer" portion of the recipe (not the ingredients) then I get the slow, stuttery effect. Is this also quick and responsive for you two?

It flickers, but it isn't slow or non responsive. It's definitely not slow or stuttery.

Today when I started Beersmith it prompted me to download and install again... even though I already downloaded and installed the new 2.2 version on Nov 26.

Was there another update in the last 2 days?

EDIT: Looks like there was another update

Oginme and Yooper,

It's not a quick scroll, but it is fairly constant without flicker or stuttering.

Seven,

Brad has been fixing the bugs that are appearing as people are reporting them. He is up to build 2.2.09 right now, all released in the past couple of days.

Oginme and Yooper,

I get this.

Starting from the "My Recipes" folder I can mouse-wheel scroll from top to bottom in a blink.
And from the "My Recipes" folder if I open the "Can You Brew It" add-on folder (for a commonly available example) I can scroll through the recipe list just as quickly.

Then things get interesting. If I open the 8 Wired Stout recipe in the "Can You Brew It" add-on, and single-click on any item in the ingredients list box, that also scrolls like any normally coded Windows application. Otoh, if I select an object outside the ingredients list box (for instance, the text within the Name box) then scroll the window via the mouse wheel, it takes over two seconds for the host window to full scroll from top to bottom, flickering all the way (the worst of the flickering is actually emanating from the ingredients list box).

This is on a truly monstrous machine (3.6ghz 6 core/12 thread Xeon with a Radeon 7990 graphics card and scads of fast everything) that renders damned near anything in less than an instant, but it's clearly gagging on the code for that host window.

Not a show stopper, but there's something weird going on with the code for that page...

Cheers!

[edit] Just for grins I installed my original BS2 v2.0.50 on a Core2 i7 2.8ghz laptop with gaming graphics and the same behavior was there all along. Not sure why I never really noticed it before.
Also noticed on both systems that if you click and hold the window slider you can "scroll" the window almost as quickly as you can shove the mouse - even with the window contents flickering like crazy...

Thanks again Yooper and Oginme. It must be something a bit more architecture specific in some folks systems.

Thanks you day_trippr for your response as well. I'm not happy for you, but am glad to know it's not just MY system but perhaps something a bit more specific to... i don't know... maybe hardware. I would be interested in knowing if BS 2.1 also behaves this way for you because my recollection is that it was fine for me. I used 2.0.x for a really short time and it stuttered on me. Then I upgraded to 2.1 and the stutter went away (I'm 95% certain on this). Then the upgrade to 2.2.x brought it back :(. It's not a huge deal but when I scroll and it stutters, I have to wait it out before the program becomes responsive again which can be mildly annoying. I wonder if it's a wxwidgets implementation issue or maybe just a simple compilation flag (on Brad's end)?

Joe,
Is it possible you have the 32 bit version (which is not signed) and are running a new version of OSX (10.8 or 10.9)? If that is the case you might need to hold Ctrl while clicking (or change your system settings) to bypass gatekeeper on the Mac. The 64 bit version is signed, but I can't sign the 32 bit version and still make it compatible with old versions of OSX.

Drop me a note on the Contact Us page at BeerSmith.com if you can't get it resolved.

Brad

So I tried to download the newest version for Mac and something is wrong as it would not let me download newest version as it says I do not haver permission or it is not supported. I also cannot get into my original version. Should I move Beersmith app to Trash and re-download using my original registration key? Will I lose all my recipes and settings?

HELP!!!

Hey guys! Has anyone had issues downloading 2.2. Keeps telling me it can't connect to the server ?

I just checked the server and all of the download links on the main download page at http://beersmith.com/download-beersmith are active and valid.

If you are having any problems at all with the background/automatic update features I recommend just downloading manually from the link above and updating that way.

Hey guys! Has anyone had issues downloading 2.2. Keeps telling me it can't connect to the server ?

JoeSpartaNJ said:
So I tried to download the newest version for Mac and something is wrong as it would not let me download newest version as it says I do not haver permission or it is not supported. I also cannot get into my original version. Should I move Beersmith app to Trash and re-download using my original registration key? Will I lose all my recipes and settings? HELP!!!
I downloaded to my Mac without any issues. I did select the option to keep both versions. Just in case, but all my recipes are there. I also created my equipment profile & confirmed those settings.
I've created several new recipes plus printed brew steps for an old recipe. Again, no issues.

I kept trying to download the 2.2.08 I think it was. Kept giving me an error that seemed start bit related when I tried to save & run. Had to manually save it & then run it,version 2.2.10. Seems to work fine so far & looks better. The recipe page at the bottom of the screen looks like on the beersmith site. Interesting & easier to read.

I just opened mine, and noticed it went from 2.2.08 to 2.2.10. I haven't seen issues in either, it's working just fine for me.

BeerSmith said:
I just checked the server and all of the download links on the main download page at http://beersmith.com/download-beersmith are active and valid. If you are having any problems at all with the background/automatic update features I recommend just downloading manually from the link above and updating that way.

Thanks man. I did it straight off their page and got it to work. I appreciate the help.

Back