Homebrewtalk Peloton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! That would be helpful! It's one of the few jobs that I won't just force my 15 year old to do, because I don't trust he'll do it well enough lol... I can have him take the shop vac to the blinds elsewhere in the house where they're not so nasty.

On the subject of PZE gains, I had an interesting ride today. I had been off the bike since Saturday (played golf yesterday), so I had big plans for a big ride... Denis has a new 60-min PZ with 5 min blocks of Z4, 3 min blocks of Z5, and 1 min blocks of Z6. But... Then the day kept dragging, and I thought "well I can do a 45 or 60 PZE instead", and the day kept dragging, and I said "I just need to get on the bike for SOMETHING." So I picked Emma's 30 minute Yeah Yeah Yeahs ride. The difficulty was only 7.6, and looking at the metrics it said the top of the callouts was something like 319 kJ, so lower than a 30-minute PZE for me typically.

I got on the bike, and something just caused me to ride above the top of the callouts. Generally I was hugging the top of the resistance (except for the flat road section, which I was well above), but I was tending to higher cadence than she called out the whole ride. And I'm looking at the time, and where my output is, and thinking "hey, I'll probably hit 400+!" And I did. With the final minute push I ended up at 417.

But the funny thing about it was... It just wasn't that hard! That's an output on a 30 minute ride that would have left me struggling and breathless 6 months ago. And yeah, it was *WORK*, but I just kept chugging along, and never felt like I was pushing too hard or that it was too much.

I almost feel like a different person compared to where I was a year ago, when I had just ordered the Bike+ and was waiting for it to show up. And then adding in PZ was a step change when I finally did my FTP in December. It's insane that I'm going to pass 7K minutes for the year tomorrow. I don't think that I've *ever* had that much exercise over that period of time in a year... And... I don't hate it lol!
this is just so awesome! congrats on taking the initial plunge, working out how to make steady progress, and sticking to it!!

and an equally big thank you for being an inspiration for others (definitely myself included) to keep at it, no matter how big or small the steps along the way

achieved my goal of 300 miles for the month of May, finishing out at 302.8 miles this month

:ban:

given that I'll have a couple days away in June, I'm setting my goal at 250 miles with a stretch of 275 miles by close of day on 30 June. posting this here for a light bit of accountability to do the work and not give in to lazy days in a camp chair fishing significantly impacting my momentum

@betarhoalphadelta Congrats on hitting 7K today!

Thanks! Congrats on hitting 300 miles! I only just cleared 250...

BTW I bought a bike fan from a company called Veloquip and installed it this morning before my ride. Definitely helps with the sweat issue, and it's powered by the Bike+ tablet USB port, so it doesn't need to be regularly charged. Pretty nice and quiet--I had it on the max speed setting and it wasn't audible over the sound of the speakers/class.

Felt like it would be important as we start getting to the warmer months.

looks like a lot of daily 1-hour walks in addition to other workouts.

follow/follower with several of the Peloton app user locals who workout most days of the week/month

Ahh, got it. I could absolutely goose my minutes if I included walking the dog. But any time we do just a typical morning walk in the neighborhood, he stops every 50 feet to smell everything, etc. I would feel terrible about logging a 1.2 mi walk that takes 40 minutes. I could also log golf as an outdoor walk, but even though I end up walking a lot, I'm not going to try to act like that's a ~240 minute workout for Peloton tracking lol.

I can only get my dog into a real pace when we get OUT of the neighborhood, which is when you see me log 3-4 mi walks. On those I usually can keep him under a 20 min mile pace overall, so it actually qualifies to me as exercise. I'd walk quicker w/o him, but that's at least respectable.

most of those walks are 3-5 miles, so it seems legit

I'm ok doing a lifting session if I know it'll be significant work like an hour or two of continuous shovel work, carrying readi-mix bags of concrete, or similar types of true semi repetitive lifting.

clocking in a 3 hour walk at the local shopping mall might be something I consider a couple decades out when I hit 70 and it qualifies as a true aerobic type workout :D

BTW I took the Ben 30 minute Pop ride w/ Lewis Capaldi today. Despite the fact that I have no clue who Lewis Capaldi is, I had heard it was funny. The day was [again] getting away from me so I figured I'd do that instead of a longer PZE.

It was actually a really fun ride, despite not knowing who he is. What I *didn't* expect was how freakin' hard it was. It was basically a bunch of heavy climbs. I ended up finishing 8 kJ below my 30-minute PR, and if I had been riding on fresh legs--it was my third riding day in a row--I would have pushed through and gotten one.

So if you're looking for a "surprise PR ride", check it out lol...

Trying to get back into doing things this month. On the first I had an arms & light weights. Yesterday (central time zone) I rode 20 miles outside in the heat, and just had a stretch before bed. Today I plan to work my arms again.

Been in a funk. Dryer died which created a lot of frustration (new one supposedly coming tomorrow) and then the last two days I've been shuttling kids all over creation since two of the three are off school.

Still managing to keep the streak (w/ only a stretch today), and I'm 3 days into Ben's 5-day split, will complete by Friday, but haven't been on the bike since Thursday. Legs are trashed due to Ben's leg day on Monday. I still don't understand why freakin' dumbbell squats shred my legs so badly.

Gotta get a good ride in tomorrow, plus day 4 of the split, and hope that I'm not spending a bunch of the day sitting around wondering when the dryer will show...

Not sure what's kicking my mental state right now...

sometimes it's just overload of all the little, usually insignificant stuff that sends one into a tailspin. I notice that chaos at work instigates mental churn, and that churn zapps away a great majority of my physical motivation resulting in low initiative to achieve what I otherwise can easily do even when physically spent

I know you're going to hang in and get back to where you want to be. Christine has noted in several of my last PZE rides that the real growth doesn't happen at the peak, but instead in that last rep or final minute when the battle is mostly mental - the mental overcoming enables the physical achievement, which is the growth we eventually see manifest well after we've made it thru

Got in my third arms workout of the month last night. Steps back in the right direction.

Trying to figure out how I slipped up in late April and all of May, and I think I got just lazy enough that I let a bunch of little things get to me.

I'm back in this month's Strength Challenge with you and I think that's a good goal for me. It's going to be a weird month where we travel to see family a couple of weekends, but I should be able to make that work. I'm really just itching to get back outside and ride bike on the trail, but mini-she is making that difficult.

as I've noted before, I'm not a fan of mid-day or evening workouts but one takes whatever opportunity the day serves up vs no workout at all.

managed to fit in a ride/stretch in between meetings this afternoon, and set a PR of +400 for the first time. should be OK that I pushed it a bit in doing so as tomorrow is will be a multi-hour workout with weed whacker down along the riverfront. temps will be in the 80s, but humidity will be high for us at somewhere above 50%

Since I had to make it into the office today, the most I'd have time for is a 45 minute ride. If I filter my bookmarks for 45-minute PZ rides with "Not Taken", I've only got 3 I haven't yet taken. And I wasn't in the mood for a PZE.

So I saw that Christine had a 20 minute punk rock ride AND a 20 minute classic rock ride release today and said screw it, I'll just ride both.

They were really good rides. Great music! Christine can sometimes be hit or miss for me, but both rides she was on.

Definitely recommend one or both rides if you're looking for something...

And today marked my 52-week streak!

I kinda wasted a great opportunity today. Mini-she took a two hour nap. She also woke up an hour before she had to and I nearly took a nap myself.

Hopefully I can get motivated to do something before the day is over.

@betarhoalphadelta - how was that JK Exp ride and overall class experience?

That ride was FUN! It's one of those where there's so much entertainment that you forget how hard you're working... (Which was hard.)

Highly recommend, especially as Peloton is purging older classes from 2019 so it may not be around much longer.

Hit my 100th strength exercise today! I took the 30 minute upper body with Andy live, hoping I might get a shoutout, but no luck on that one. Oh well. Certainly burned out my chest & back, so it was a great workout anyway.

Sitting at 496 total workouts right now. Can probably get to 500 total by Friday.

it's Rainier cherry harvest time here in the Lower Valley, and I've been slammed since Friday. Just barely keeping my daily streak alive with a short Upper Body session, but I'm falling way behind on my cycling objective for this month. was two days ahead of plan until I had to focus on sherries, and now I'm 5 fays behind target

next ride will be my 300th, so I'm hoping to join a live class. likely going to be a longer PZ Endurance ride given my absence

it's Rainier cherry harvest time here in the Lower Valley, and I've been slammed since Friday. Just barely keeping my daily streak alive with a short Upper Body session, but I'm falling way behind on my cycling objective for this month. was two days ahead of plan until I had to focus on sherries, and now I'm 5 fays behind target

next ride will be my 300th, so I'm hoping to join a live class. likely going to be a longer PZ Endurance ride given my absence
Well that cherry harvest is important. My wife and my son both love those suckers and so they're counting on supply! 😂

I do think a longer PZE might be a good shot if you're hoping for a shoutout. Matt Wilpers has a 60 min PZE on Saturday morning--and he's pretty good with shoutouts--if you want to wake up for a 5 AM PT ride lol!

if you're looking for a quick Arms & Light Weights workout I recommend giving the 20 April 2023 session by Bradley Rose a spin. Metallica & Iron Maiden for tunes in this session to keep you inspired

done this one a couple times now, increasing the weights each time. some of the quick boxing moves at the end can be quite challenging to keep pace with a 2-1/2 pound weight in each hand

back to cycling sessions tomorrow (Sat) - yea!!

Did a 30 minute upper body strength workout, and then jumped on what I was thinking would be a relatively easy 30 minute Indie Rock ride with Mayla. The ride itself wasn't super-hard, but I was DRAGGING booty the whole time.

Not sure if it was eating a bunch of unhealthy crap yesterday, sleeping like crap last night because my dog got up with diarrhea at 12:30 AM, or because I haven't eaten anything today. But all of those don't help.

So take care of yourselves, gents, or your workouts will suck lol...

Been two weeks since the last post - how all y'all doing?

A bit crazy here with holiday weekend, family/friends visiting from out of town, and an unending number of afternoons/evenings making jam from various freshly picked fruits. Been keeping up on a daily exercise of some sort, thought mostly a brief 10 min arms & light weights type just to keep progressing on something as I can squeeze it in. First ride this morning in ages (what my legs were yelling at me), but it was good to sweat a little and get back on to endurance conditioning.

No shame in be away for a while and foot dragging before returning to working out - we've all been there many times.

All good here!

BTW Amazon has dumbbells on the Prime Day sale right now. Just grabbed sets of 30# and 35# because there are a few exercises where I need more than 25#.

Looks like they also have Prime Day deals on the Bike/Bike+, as well as on the Guide, if anyone is on the fence for those.

Been getting the workouts in decently. Ended up with a new 60-minute PR last Thursday. Most of the 60-minute classes I take are PZE so not much chance to PR, and I realized my previous PR was all the way back in November. I know I've progressed a lot since then, so I decided to go into a ride planning to PR it, and did. So that was fun.

Gonna spend a couple days in Palm Springs this weekend so it'll be a three day break from the bike (and likely little to no time on HBT). I'll ride Thursday before we leave, but not Fri/Sat and not planning to ride when I get back Sun either. Just going to be lounging in the pool if outside, and burning the Airbnb's electric bill running the AC like crazy if inside lol...

I got a couple of nice outside rides in this weekend. The frequency of outdoor rides has increased since local air quality improved. I'm hoping that we're settling into a groove for the next month with me taking mini-me for rides after my wife gets back from work every other weekday.

I need to get back into dumbbell workouts.

They feel introductory, they're short, and they align with my goals.

I think they're all 10 minute workouts, which I really should be able to work into my schedule. There are a few that I've taken that were really tough and I would describe as intermediate, but I was able to find a few that I could follow along with. I also tried one or two beginner strength that were described like A&LW, but those were not challenging for me.

My personal goals aren't to get super muscular. What I've been working with have been high repetitions of low weight. I want to get healthier and be able to comfortably lift stuff around my house. This just seems to fit that.

@Rodent @Kent88 I know you guys do those Arms & Light Weights classes a lot. What do you guys see as the allure/advantages of those relative to the other strength workouts that use the heavier dumbbells? I've never tried A&LW...

I'm with @Kent88 on the 'short and align with my goals'

I'm looking for conditioning and toning without building bulk. it's equal parts toning and (with the right class) cardio where I can hit a heart rate Zone 4 or even Zone 5 if I really push the speed intensity with the lighter weights. Also key for me is that they don't seem to aggravate my old back injury IF I choose the class wisely. I recently used a pair of 5 pound dumbbells vs the lighter weight, and the jarring impact caused me to significantly reduce my rep speeds moving this from a cardio type workout to more of a strength type workout.

I see the benefits in my regular yard work activities as increased stamina on tasks like digging planting holes for fruit trees, removing sod for creating garden beds, and other activities. I also see benefits when packing gear and a light boat in to fish a semi-remote pond.

and oddly enough, the little bit extra work shows result in my personal weight loss campaign in a way that riding alone doesn't. it may only be an extra 1 to 1-1/2 pounds per week, but that's 10-15 pounds extra over the course of two months for an investment of only 10 extra minutes 4-6 times per week

Got it.

I suppose I'm not interested in "bulking up" or anything like that. However, I think decades of aging without strength training has led to declines that I'm looking to reverse. So although--to my wife's disappointment--I'll never have shoulders like JJ Watt, I'm looking to build muscle to at least a reasonably stronger version of me. To me, that's going to require the higher weights...

Plus I might hit a golf ball farther.

@Kent88 just noticed there's an option to capture your outdoor cycling workout on the app

- little red circle with stick figure @ bottom right corner of app
- More options
- Outdoor Cycling

I've used the Strength and Outdoor Walking to capture non class type workouts, but didn't know until now that I could also capture my bike riding as well. I have a heart monitor, so might get some interesting results to compare against what feels like a similar level of effort when spinning in a class

I wonder if I can capture for Wahoo and Peloton at the same time. I tried using Wahoo and Glympse simultaneously last year and my phone overheated.

Wahoo can send to other services, I have it upload my rides to Strava, but Peloton is sadly not an option.

I have a heart monitor, so might get some interesting results to compare against what feels like a similar level of effort when spinning in a class

I haven't figured out how to pair my Garmin watch with my Android Phone in the Peloton app to broadcast heart rate. It works fine for the Bike, but not the app. So every time I do an outdoor walk, Peloton doesn't have any of my HR data.

Back