Homebrewtalk Peloton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure to check out the app. There are a TON of other non-cycling things you can do. I especially recommend stretching--from riding the bike you'll get tight in your hips, glutes, possibly lower back, etc. Doing a 10-minute full body stretch after a workout will help keep everything loosened up. Obviously you can do it on a PC or tablet, but you can also install the app on a Roku on possibly just a general Smart TV, so it's pretty accessible in a lot of places other than the brewery/garage, where I'm assuming you don't want to be rolling around on the floor lol...

This is all good advice. I've been getting lazy again lately, but my plan has been for a strength workout every three days. I like the Arms & Light Weights, but as outdoor cycling season comes to an end I'm also planning to give the Intervals & Arms another chance. I find that their warm ups and stretches make me less worried that I'm going to tweak something.

I typically plan my workouts on my phone and then play videos on my Amazon FireStick. The big screen is nice.

Speaking of outdoor cycling... I'll chat with you all more later.

hey @seatazzz - welcome from the dry side from a former wet sider!

I swapped out the seat on my bike. not too expensive, and super easy to do. I noted the seat swap in post #66 here: Homebrewtalk Peloton

I can't imagine going back to a 'regular' type of road bike seat - TOO PAINFUL for me, and my SO would never let me swap back. I'd have to save up and buy a second bike before being able to have any other seat installed.

I use my iPhone and Samsung pad when on the road and without access to a Peloton bike. great for working out most anywhere and perfect for stretching, weights, and other exercises where you're not moving along a pathway. a good set of bluetooth in-ears that can handle sweaty workout are also a great add-on - great to have full music a reasonable volumes even early in the AM before others are within an hour or two of their alarm going off

I'm BadgerShack on the Peloton app if/when you get to the place of adding workout friends

Speaking of outdoor cycling... I'll chat with you all more later.

My son finally pedaled by himself today for a noteworthy distance.

It's not exactly a Peloton thing, but dang it, I'm really happy with this development and this thread is more active than the outdoor cycling thread I've linked to in the past.

He's got a little more work to do before he's comfortable going uphill or even on flat ground, but it was fantastic to see.

Someone needs to teach me how to do a backflip now.

Edit: oh yeah, also rode 6mi today before I unhooked our bikes and made mini-me practice riding solo.

Last edited:
Got up early this morning for the live Matt Wilpers 90-minute PZ Endurance ride that kicked-off at 4:30A Pacific. my first ever 90-minute ride of any flavor, and definitely a different beast from a 60 or even 75-minute endurance ride.

at about the 55 minute mark I was thinking to myself - this is going to be a breeze! I should do 90-minute rides more often as they're really no different than a 30/45/60/75 minute ride. why have I put this off?????

and then at around 60-65 minutes my mind snapped and started down the path of losing focus (it was just barely 5:30A and I'd been up for 90 minutes) and it was impossible to regain composure until I crossed the T - 10 minutes mark, when for some unknown reason my brain clicked back into workout mode and I was able to power thru the final 10 minutes, a 10-minute cool0down ride, stretch, and 10-min arms workout without any lack of focus. weird I believe @betarhoalphadelta mentioned a similar happening on his 90-min ride last week.

overall a great way to spin thru and celebrate completing ride #400 today.

Yeah, my last 90-minute ride was a fail on a different level. Was just not entirely into it from the start. It was a slog. So I just took the whole thing in Z2 despite Matt's callouts.

But I do find that the 75- and 90-minute PZE rides, particularly with Matt WIlpers, tend to really get to me after the 60 minute mark. One of the things Matt typically has is very long Z3 blocks with only a couple minute Z2 in between to recover. Where Christine will be a lot closer to 50/50. (Same for Denis re: 50/50, but he doesn't have 75s or 90s).

I've done a couple of the Matt Wilpers o-dark-early Saturday rides now and like the vibe live. sometimes they cut live early and you get to see Matt interact with the in-house riders for 20-30 seconds before it kicks into his intro section. I was awake this morning and almost got up to ride, but opted to get some rest since I have (had) a heavy lifting day out in the yard and knew I'd need the strength reserve in the afternoon (which I definitely did need)

realized too late that I'd forgotten my phone and heartrate band in the house today, so no live credit for several hours of shovel work and stump digging. it was definitely a strength & endurance session I'd have loved to reviewed my heartrate and calorie burn estimate for

I've been putting it off for several weeks now ...

I know I should

I'm certain I'll see significant improvement

I'm not there mentally to want to take on the extra effort that improvement will inflict on every upcoming PZ ride

And yet I know I should

And so I kick the FTP test can down the alley for another couple days until I think about it again

I hear you. I did my first one last November. My second one in May. My third one yesterday. Which I **KNOW** is not often enough. But I dread that test so freakin' much.

Honestly it wasn't something I planned. I was going to do a different ride. But I knew I hadn't been on the bike since Friday, so my legs were fresh. And I had eaten carbonara Sunday night, so I was all carbo-loaded up. I just said screw it, let's get this crap done because there's no other day I'm going to want to do it either.

So it was hell. But I'm glad it's done, and I'm proud of the number.

45-day streak, so I wanted to do a very recent ride that would have a lot of people on the bike to get all the high fives. So I did this Ben 30 minute 90s Rock Ride.

I did a 45-minute ride with Kendall yesterday, so I just wanted a good ride to get me sweaty before I go on vacation tomorrow morning. I didn't check the expected output before it started. I didn't realize what I'd gotten myself into. Holy crap he was pushing resistance all ride!

But I improved my 30-minute PR from 465 to 491 kJ!

@Rodent I don't know if you're aiming for the 15K badge, but apparently today is the 12K checkin to get there.

I've realized that while I'm ahead of 12K, I've let my buffer diminish so I need to work on building it back up... I know my vacation didn't help--over 4 days I basically did 2x 5-minute meditations and 2x 10-minute stretches just to keep my daily streak going...

was on track for the 15K, but work travel and visiting family got me behind where I want my stat to be at. I'm still at a doable level based on minutes/day, but any missed days will really have an impact. I also have a couple extended outdoor activities coming up (like a 3-4 hour hike that will count towards outdoor walking) so should be back in a good spot by end of Nov

Well, I think outdoor cycling season is over for me.

Looking back over my Strava records, it could've gone better. I can't complain, I taught my son to ride bike this summer and that whole process has been at times frustrating and amazing and all sorts of things in between. That meant I had a lot of shorter rides. I did have 3-4 solo rides where I went 19-20 miles each, that was good.

I found a Century Ride event happens every spring in a county not too far away. They have some shorter distance options that would be no problem for me if the weather was good and the event was tomorrow. I think I'm going to register for that and use that as my motivation to get back to using my stationary bike.

And to wrap up my thoughts on this years outdoor rides...: please, 2024, no massive forest fires!

So I think tomorrow I'll be cleaning up the area around the stationary bike, and hopefully getting my butt in the seat.

So funny thing yesterday. I had gotten home from the office in the afternoon and was continuing to work from home. I had NFL Live on ESPN going in the background. I saw one of the guys do some fancy footwork thing and then Dan Orlovsky said "Not trying that; I'm just happy if I can handle the Peloton."

So I thought... I wonder if I can find his profile. And curiously enough, his leaderboard name is danorlovsky. And his profile is public.

And that's where it mentally got weird. I looked at his PRs, and was offended because I saw that they're higher than mine.

I had to let the rational part of my brain take over. "Brad, you realize that he's a formel NFL quarterback, right? And he's 5 years younger than you. And while you spent decades sitting on your butt as an engineer and drinking beer, he's been training his body to perform at the highest possible level. You know he's 'only a QB', but still... Don't compare yourself to to the NFL!"

Okay, okay, I settled myself down. I'm a rational person...

...but not rational enough that I don't have a new target of beating Dan Orlovsky's PRs! I'm comin' for ya, buddy!

(Yes, I have a problem.)

If you want to see what a serious athlete's graphs look like, check out his 30 minute PR...

So funny thing yesterday. I had gotten home from the office in the afternoon and was continuing to work from home. I had NFL Live on ESPN going in the background. I saw one of the guys do some fancy footwork thing and then Dan Orlovsky said "Not trying that; I'm just happy if I can handle the Peloton."

So I thought... I wonder if I can find his profile. And curiously enough, his leaderboard name is danorlovsky. And his profile is public.

And that's where it mentally got weird. I looked at his PRs, and was offended because I saw that they're higher than mine.

Okay, okay, I settled myself down. I'm a rational person...

...but not rational enough that I don't have a new target of beating Dan Orlovsky's PRs! I'm comin' for ya, buddy!

(Yes, I have a problem.)

If you want to see what a serious athlete's graphs look like, check out his 30 minute PR...

We're not in the football thread, we're not in the football thread...

Dan Orlovsky, of the 0-16 season?

orlovsky-jared-allen.gif

Lolz

@betarhoalphadelta - I'm pooped just looking at your distance and strive scope for your Wilper's PZ ride today.

had hoped to catch that one live on Sat, but we had company sleeping on the couch and it's unlikely they would have appreciated a 3:45A wakeup by me hopping on the bike for a 2 hour ride

Given that the bike is in the bedroom, I'm pretty sure trying to catch that ride live on Saturday would have resulted in me spending a few weeks on the couch!

It was a good ride and I definitely recommend it. With my new zones, I decided to take it at the very bottom of my zones which put me roughly where the middle of my old zones were. That was a good idea, as I felt good the whole ride and wasn't hitting my fatigue point until probably the last 10 minutes... And that might have been psychological as I knew I was almost done lol. But I managed to do all 120 in my zones, so I was pretty proud of it after I finished.

Matt talks about this in a lot of his longer (75+) rides, but when you get roughly to that hour mark, you've probably depleted your carbs and electrolytes so it's worth having a plan. I didn't worry about the electrolytes (forgot about it) but made sure I had a banana to eat, and obviously lots of water. He actually had the staff bring out bananas to anyone in studio who wanted them during the ride lol.

So if you give it a shot, I recommend making sure you have something to eat, something for electrolytes (gatorade, salt tablets, etc), and try to get out of the saddle every 15 minutes or so for 30 seconds to avoid a sore butt...

Well I've been back at it for a bit. Just spent a few minutes looking at the calendar on the FireTV app wondering how I got a three week streak in two weeks. Have a look:

PXL_20231101_050020017.jpg

What's interesting is that it's correct on the app on my phone. (Update, this is fixed now before finishing my post).

I've mostly been doing late night rides because I can't count on my daughter to nap for long enough, if at all, during the day. I've learned that if I'm careful I can shower without waking anyone up. Last night and tonight's rides showed a tweak to the usual display from my FireTV, I now get to see the target cadence and resistance on my screen at all times during my ride. I picked the trainers I had because they're pretty clear about those targets and they're usually good at loudly announcing changes. If this change is permanent, I should be able to work with some different people.

It doesn't feel like I'm two away from my 100th ride on this service. I blame the extended summer hiatus, and my approach through the spring where I'd stack shorter rides together so I could stop if I heard my daughter wake up and cry instead of just picking a longer ride to begin with. I'm leaning towards not doing a live ride for that event, but I suppose I can look and see if they have something that lined up with what I'm doing. I definitely don't want to settle for a 15 minute low impact ride, I want to feel like I might've earned it when I finish up.

Because that milestone is coming and I want to earn it, I looked at what the longer (60+ min) rides are like. They're all Powerzone rides. I was kind of hoping there'd be something to ease someone into the longer rides, maybe with the occasional break with a guided stretch. Oh well.

This spring I was chasing a consecutive day achievement, this fall I need to convince myself that just because I miss a some days doesn't mean I should give up on the week/month.

Because that milestone is coming and I want to earn it, I looked at what the longer (60+ min) rides are like. They're all Powerzone rides. I was kind of hoping there'd be something to ease someone into the longer rides, maybe with the occasional break with a guided stretch. Oh well.

I know "Power Zone" sounds like it's some special advanced thing... But it's not. Basically the idea is that every workout is indexed to your own fitness level, so two people can both take the same class, work equally as hard, but end up with different outputs because they're at different levels of fitness. Denis once said on a PZ ride that it's great for everyone, whether you're a ballerina at the NYC Ballet or a lineman for the NY Giants.

Power Zone Endurance, specifically are actually designed to be LESS strenuous than other classes, because you're working purely cardio endurance. So you stay in your zones 2 and 3, which are aerobic zones. All of the rides of 75 minutes or longer are PZE. Power Zone (PZ), and Power Zone Max (PZM), where you hit the higher/harder zones, are a maximum of 60 minutes.

The hardest thing about PZ riding without a bike where you can't do the FTP test and without an actual power output number is that it requires that you estimate your zones based upon perceived exertion rather than actually knowing your output. I.e. for me, the Peloton has an output number, and based on my FTP test I know that the middle of Zone 2 is about 200W, and the middle of my Zone 3 is about 255W, so when I'm on a PZE ride and they call out a zone, I just need to keep my number there. Without that, you'll be having to estimate.

That said, IMHO the best instructor for learning to estimate is Denis. Try this 60-minute PZE ride. The warmup is a flat road for one song, then spin-ups, and then a build where he describes how Zone 2 and Zone 3 should feel. Generally Zone 2 is going to be the maximum of what you could do while keeping your mouth closed and breathing entirely through your nose. Zone 3 is going to be (on Peloton) probably 4-5 points of resistance higher than that at a given cadence, and is going to be where you pretty much immediately have to open your mouth to breathe, but you're not getting ragged or feeling like you're going to run out of steam. As long as you can manage to stay in the right perceived exertion ranges, PZE is nothing "advanced" or that you need to ease into.

This spring I was chasing a consecutive day achievement, this fall I need to convince myself that just because I miss a some days doesn't mean I should give up on the week/month.

Yeah, that's kinda my accountability system. I know I'm the type that if I start skipping one day during a week, it's going to be two days a week, and then three days a week, etc. I'm not disciplined enough to, say, take one rest day per week and still know I'm going to make working out a priority on the other 6.

But yesterday I just wasn't feeling it. I did the 120-minute ride Monday and didn't want to ride again Tuesday, and I knew it was the last day of the month and I'd already gotten gold in the strength challenge for the month so I figured I'd put off starting strength to today so it counts for November. So all I did was a 10 minute stretch, which maintained my daily streak but didn't require much effort.

The hardest thing about PZ riding without a bike where you can't do the FTP test and without an actual power output number is that it requires that you estimate your zones based upon perceived exertion rather than actually knowing your output. I.e. for me, the Peloton has an output number, and based on my FTP test I know that the middle of Zone 2 is about 200W, and the middle of my Zone 3 is about 255W, so when I'm on a PZE ride and they call out a zone, I just need to keep my number there. Without that, you'll be having to estimate.

That said, IMHO the best instructor for learning to estimate is Denis. Try this 60-minute PZE ride. The warmup is a flat road for one song, then spin-ups, and then a build where he describes how Zone 2 and Zone 3 should feel. Generally Zone 2 is going to be the maximum of what you could do while keeping your mouth closed and breathing entirely through your nose. Zone 3 is going to be (on Peloton) probably 4-5 points of resistance higher than that at a given cadence, and is going to be where you pretty much immediately have to open your mouth to breathe, but you're not getting ragged or feeling like you're going to run out of steam. As long as you can manage to stay in the right perceived exertion ranges, PZE is nothing "advanced" or that you need to ease into.

I figured my lack of an official Peloton bike would be a hindrance to PZ rides. Heck, when I found my cadence monitor/display on this stationary late last spring (or early summer?) I realized how off my perception of cadence was, and after my summer hiatus I'm having trouble remembering how I equated resistances. Perception isn't easy to get dialed in.

Yeah, that's kinda my accountability system. I know I'm the type that if I start skipping one day during a week, it's going to be two days a week, and then three days a week, etc. I'm not disciplined enough to, say, take one rest day per week and still know I'm going to make working out a priority on the other 6.

This sounds similar to my issue. I'm hoping this century ride I want to participate in next spring will give me the motivation I need to shrug off the broken streaks and keep plugging away. There are a few different distance options at that event, and I think I've settled on a floor of riding at least the x-many mile loop, and that isn't what I usually feel like I can ride early in my cycling season. So it'll be tough to get daily streaks going, with all the weekend trips to visit family we'll be doing over the next couple months, but I want to make it easier on myself when I really start training in January.

But yesterday I just wasn't feeling it. I did the 120-minute ride Monday and didn't want to ride again Tuesday, and I knew it was the last day of the month and I'd already gotten gold in the strength challenge for the month so I figured I'd put off starting strength to today so it counts for November. So all I did was a 10 minute stretch, which maintained my daily streak but didn't require much effort.

Have you tried the 20-min recovery rides? Or I found probably the only standalone 10-min low impact ride that Hainsby did Nov 2022. Not saying "dang it, go do this!", just wondering if those options are on your radar, or maybe they just don't interest you.

I figured my lack of an official Peloton bike would be a hindrance to PZ rides. Heck, when I found my cadence monitor/display on this stationary late last spring (or early summer?) I realized how off my perception of cadence was, and after my summer hiatus I'm having trouble remembering how I equated resistances. Perception isn't easy to get dialed in.

This sounds similar to my issue. I'm hoping this century ride I want to participate in next spring will give me the motivation I need to shrug off the broken streaks and keep plugging away. There are a few different distance options at that event, and I think I've settled on a floor of riding at least the x-many mile loop, and that isn't what I usually feel like I can ride early in my cycling season. So it'll be tough to get daily streaks going, with all the weekend trips to visit family we'll be doing over the next couple months, but I want to make it easier on myself when I really start training in January.

Especially if you're an outdoor rider, I think the lack of the official bike won't be as big of a hindrance as you'd think. The other way to think of Zone 2 is your "all day" pace. I'm sure to an extent you know that feel already from outdoor riding, the level of exertion that you'd be at if you were going to ride for several hours. Zone 3 is higher, and mostly added in to PZE rides for training purposes because you're trying to cram more work into less time--i.e. you might go on a 3-4 hour outdoor ride for training, but rarely do that duration on the stationary bike. So Zone 3 wouldn't actually be a typical endurance exertion you actually use for a long ride; it's marginally higher but still something that you could do a long time.

So I'd say if you want to train for a century ride, DEFINITELY start working on longer PZE rides. Yes, having to work on perceived exertion rather than measured output is a little harder, but it's probably better than trying to do the shorter (20-45 minute) high-exertion rides on the platform.

Putting in the time on those longer rides will help get you ready. I can say it's done absolute WONDERS for my cardio endurance...

Have you tried the 20-min recovery rides? Or I found probably the only standalone 10-min low impact ride that Hainsby did Nov 2022. Not saying "dang it, go do this!", just wondering if those options are on your radar, or maybe they just don't interest you.

I'll occasionally do a low-impact, but I haven't really enjoyed the "recovery" rides. They are too gentle, too soothing, too boring lol... When I want a less intense ride I'll usually look at the difficulty rating as well as the metrics (you can only see these on the bike) on a music ride with an instructor I like, which tell you the expected total output of the ride at the bottom and top of the callouts. From there I can determine whether the ride is suitable for a day that I just want to flush the legs, and where in the callouts I need to ride to get what I'm looking for. And if I don't like the callouts but like the playlist/instructor, I sometimes just ride the whole thing in zone 2.

Especially if you're an outdoor rider, I think the lack of the official bike won't be as big of a hindrance as you'd think. The other way to think of Zone 2 is your "all day" pace. I'm sure to an extent you know that feel already from outdoor riding, the level of exertion that you'd be at if you were going to ride for several hours. Zone 3 is higher, and mostly added in to PZE rides for training purposes because you're trying to cram more work into less time--i.e. you might go on a 3-4 hour outdoor ride for training, but rarely do that duration on the stationary bike. So Zone 3 wouldn't actually be a typical endurance exertion you actually use for a long ride; it's marginally higher but still something that you could do a long time.

Is there a different metric one can use? I think I've read about testing heart rate that can yield zones similar to an FTP test / PZs. Is there anything like that which could work? I have a wahoo heart rate sensor strap and my stationary Schwinn has a spot on the handlebars with heart rate sensors.

Is there a different metric one can use? I think I've read about testing heart rate that can yield zones similar to an FTP test / PZs. Is there anything like that which could work? I have a wahoo heart rate sensor strap and my stationary Schwinn has a spot on the handlebars with heart rate sensors.

Yes, you can use heart rate instead. I'm sure there's a lot more in-depth study, but here's something I found: Training with heart rate vs training with power | Which is best for you?

This one says for aerobic work, to target 70-80% of your HR Max. How to Use Heart Rate Zones for Training & Exercise | WHOOP

A few points:

• There is a simple calculation for HR Max of 220 minus your age. There are others that are deemed more accurate. That's fine for many people, but there are also severe outliers. Long story but I was getting some things checked out a few years ago that had me on a treadmill stress test with a cardiologist. According to 220-age, my HR Max at the time should have been 182. But I'm a severe outlier and my own personal max was 203... Now that I'm older my max should be 175. I can sustain 175 for quite some time on rides. On my most vigorous rides, I've peaked in the 190s. I just run hot.
  • Because of the heart rate lag, and the fact that most PZE rides alternate between zones 2 and 3, you may choose to pick a heart rate to target and ignore the callouts. You can just ride the entire ride (post-warmup) targeting a steady heart rate. One downside to this is that it will be "noisy"--depending on rest, nutrition, caffeine, an effort at one cadence/resistance level one day might produce a different heart rate day to day. Also, on longer rides you might find that your heart rate is creeping up at a specific cadence/resistance and as a result you start reducing output to keep it down, which doesn't necessarily give you the benefit of a progressive overload workout.
  • To avoid the above, what you could potentially do is some testing to find specific cadence/resistance combinations that tend to produce certain heart rates if you sustain them for 5-10 minutes. You could maybe call one of these "zone 2" at maybe 71% of your HR Max, and another "zone 3" at 79% of your HR Max. If you do this, you would simply keep the cadence and resistance at those levels when the instructor calls out zone 2 or zone 3. That would at least give you consistent output for the zones, and would allow you to work through the day-to-day variation in HR. It would also give you a target such that if your HR tends to drive above those numbers towards the end of long rides, you stay at consistent outputs and that gives you the progressive overload benefits. Over time you'll probably start to see that those specific cadence/resistance ranges are failing to center around 71/79% of your HR max, which would be an indication that you're leveling up your cardio capability and need to increase cadence and/or resistance to actually exert yourself enough to see gains.
But absolutely, there are ways to work around a lack of a power meter. Heart rate is an excellent metric, but as I mention above I'd choose the third bullet point so you start to get it dialed in more to cadence/resistance targets that correlate to HR, rather than just targeting a specific HR number for a whole ride...

my max heart rate is supposedly 162, but I recently did a 20 min cardio workout where I was over 167 for over 2 minutes with a peak in there at 209bpm. I could easily have pushed harder and kept this up for much longer, but that's not necessarily something I prefer to do when home alone for my workouts. you can see my 30 Oct Shadow Boxing workout stats in the app if we're connected and you want the reference.

no way I could have done this a year back, when even approaching my max heart rate would have sent me to the ER (or worse)

Looks like tracking heart rate is a valid alternative to PZ.

Here's something I found on heart rate zones

If that's correct, heart and PZ zone 2 are pretty close to the same.

I think I'll have to figure out my zones some time soon and see how that PZ ride you suggested feels.

Right now, I have to readjust from the outdoor cycling to indoor cycling.

Last edited:
took the Denis Morton post-ride stretch session from 9 Nov 2023 earlier today. definitely not your typical stretch routine if you frequent the 5/10 min post ride stretch offerings by others. I'd recommend it as a supplement to your regular post ride stretch. I know I plan to add this as a regular part to my daily stretching, even on days I don't ride

1699633274181.png

Back