DIPA...does anybody love Simcoe THIS much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrazela

Reaction score
My BIL is an IPA fiend. He loves crazy high-IBU's, but not crazy high ABV or super bone-dryness. He also seems to really like anything I've served him with Simcoe in it.
(For the record, I'm a big fan of Simcoe)

He wants me to brew him a biggish IPA for his 50th b'day party, whatever I think he'll like.

Question: does ANYBODY love Simcoe THIS much?...

DIPA, 5gal batch

Expected OG/FG ~1.075 / ~1.015
Expected ABV/AA ~7.7% / ~80%
Expected IBU ~125 (calculated)

16# Maris Otter

148°F, 60min single infusion mash

2oz Simcoe at 90min
2oz Simcoe at 15min
4oz Simcoe at 0min (flameout)
4oz Simcoe at 0min (hopstand)
2oz Simcoe dry hop
2oz Simcoe keg hop

2L starter WLP007

I did something similar last year.....and it really sucked. Simcoe mixed with Amarillo or some other citrus hop seems to work well for me. But pure cat piss.....won't do that again. :D

I did something similar last year.....and it really sucked. Simcoe mixed with Amarillo or some other citrus hop seems to work well for me. But pure cat piss.....won't do that again. :D

Pure cat piss is what I'm concerned about, too. And I do love the Simcoe / Amarillo combo. I'm also a fan of reasonably-priced bittering hops...

So maybe I'll pedal back a bit on the Simcoe and go with something more like:

1oz Simcoe and 1oz Columbus at 90min
1oz Simcoe and 1oz Columbus at 15min
2oz Simcoe, 1oz Columbus and 1oz Amarillo at 0min (flameout)
2oz Simcoe, 1oz Columbus and 1oz Amarillo at 0min (hopstand)
1oz Simcoe and 1oz Amarillo dry hop
1oz Simcoe and 1oz Amarillo keg hop

Agreed, Simcoe needs a companion. Last year I brewed a Simcoe version of Arrogant Bastard, but something was missing by using only Simcoe. Amarillo and Columbus play great with Simcoe, so does Mosaic. It really looks yummy!

Why not bitter with Magnum, Warrior, Nugget, or so and save the Simcoe and Columbus? I doubt much of their character is found after 90 minutes and the huge later additions.

It'll be bitter! I'd consider cutting back on your 90 minute additions. I've experienced grassy flavors from a high level of hopping along the lines of what you're attempting.

I love Simcoe. I'm actually dry hopping a Simcoe/Galaxy IPA right now. Can't wait to try it.

Back