Fast fermenting slight fusel flavor DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
Does anybody else get a slightly sharp alcohol flavor in their fermenting beer, when they fast ferment?

I fast ferment my beer with a healthy pitch of yeast and pure O2. I keep it on the low end of temp and ramp up to the high end in 7 days. When its free of off flavors(typically around day 7) I cool it to the mid 50s for a week then keg it.

When I brewed a higher alcohol content beer >8% abv I got a sharp flavor in my beer. I tasted it at day 6 of my fermentation when my OG stabilized for 3 days. It tasted great no off flavors. Then at day 7 I suddenly got a sharp alcohol flavor. Its not crazy but its there. Almost a mid tongue alcohol bite. No change in gravity though.

Is this common for anybody else? I realize I can let it sit to settle the alcohol. I was wondering though if anybody has succesfully fast fermented a DIPA without getting this alcohol sharpness.

It might be because my beer finished drier then expected. ( I wanted 1.013 i got 1.010). My PH is 4.19 if that helps.

I am planning on rebrewing the recipe, which is a Sip of Sunshine clone(https://beerandbrewing.com/VvV1WCcAAFgR3g0e/article/lawsons-double-sunshine-ipa-recipe) but im looking for it to be smooth, so the alcohol bite is a little offsetting. So any other tips on getting the beer to be smooth and not have this bite will be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Yes for me on at least one batch. I thought it was more a temp control thing, and have since obtained a fridge and inkbird. I have a 1.070 in it 6.5gallons and the other 5 in a better bottle. I have the carboy in the fridge under temp control and my fastferm in ambient Temps. Funny enough with the weather they are pretty close. This may or may not confirm this concern. The batch that spiked my suspicion was very boozy and it was 1.080og 1.018fg

Latest posts

Back