Worst. IPA. Ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abita Jockamo IPA. Tastes like dirty grass clippings mixed with aged cheese. Maybe they were trying to make a bruchetta of sorts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

Worst IPA I have ever had and probably the worst beer I have ever had, it was so bad it was actually worse than BMC, Tonka beer company Preservation IPA. It just tasted like skunky water, must have been brewed with pond water. Only thing that was good about it is that a % of the profits went to preserving the minnesota lakes.

My wife bought a sixer of this for me, knowing I'm an IPA guy. After about 2 sips off the first bottle, I dumped it. Tried another one when I hadn't been having my palate wrecked by some other high IBU brews. Poured that out too. Just plain nasty.

Dank is bad?

Every Ranger beer I had was always super fresh and always consistently fresh one of the reasons I've loved that beer(clean hoppy/tastey) , one of my favs also. Very far from bad imo. Goose Island IPA can be pretty good often but I've had a few meh bottles of it but also some inspiring ones , not super consistent but good but just my opinion. think some people are getting OBS. OLd bottle syndrome.

Dank is good. High grade weed = dank

Goose island was really sweet for me
The goose island may have been old. But the ranger I tried was in tap was fresh. All I could think about while smelling/ drinking us horse s$#t. I tried what I guess was at total wine was a fresh bottle after while a rep was there. Tried a few and really liked the. He asked if I liked IPAs. I said well yes. Yes I do. He offers a sample of the ranger. I decline saying it taste like crap. Says maybe there tap lines were dirty and give it another shot. Didn't care for it and asked for another roller to wash it down

Pliny the elder and heady topper...SIKE!!!!!!!!!!! JK forgive me for my sins

I'm not fond of Ranger, either, and I had it straight from the tap at the brewery. I've had others that I wasn't really happy with, too, but I can't remember the names.
My favorites are Deviant Dale's and Stone.

It could be old bottle syndrome, but the six pack of rampant i had was just... astringent. It felt like it was burning a little.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I can't say that I've ever had an IPA that I didn't like. There are some that don't pack much punch, but they still tasted pretty good. I do try to avoid ones that I suspect won't be good--off-brands, or one by somebody who I don't think will do it right.

I have had my share of substandard IPAs on tap. Over the last month or so, I've had a couple at different bars that tasted like there was something dead in the lines. Only IPAs. It's always disappointing to think you know what you are going to be getting, only to be surprised by a mouthful of skunky nastiness.

There's a local brewery here where I live called "W Brewing" their "559 IPA" is awful, most batches are infected and taste like straight pool water. Sad thing is Costco picked them up and our area code is on them. If only they could of choose a different name for their horrible IPA

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

There's a local brewery here where I live called "W Brewing" their "559 IPA" is awful, most batches are infected and taste like straight pool water. Sad thing is Costco picked them up and our area code is on them. If only they could of choose a different name for their horrible IPA

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Good to know as I live in 559 as well :)

An ipa.. nah. I can't think of one I really didn't like. Some are definitely not as good as others.but I cant think of a specific one I really hated.. hmm..I was least impressed with heady topper. I it didn't taste like angel puss to me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I picked up a few founders today. First was centennial ipa. It was ok. I drank half and gave the rest to my flat mate( lol not even British). So I tried the all day ipa. Smelling notes was BO( body oder ). Flat mate said the same. His gf disagreed. He then smelled her arm pits and it was almost dead on.

I conceder 60 min an average ipa. I think my standards are high.

Seems like there is some really bad one I'm forgetting about at the moment, but Harpoon IPA was pretty "blah".

Smuttynose finest kind IPA has become my least favorite. Tried it a few times and everytime has been all bitter no dimension with a lingering metalic aftertaste.

So I know there are obviously a lot of hop heads here (myself included), but I want to know the worst IPA you've ever tasted.

For me it has to be Sierra Nevada's Torpedo: a hop bomb that was way too bitter for me. I actually returned the sixer I bought back to the store.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Maybe chilled a bit too much? I tried this from the fridge and also at cask temp and it was a whole different experience. Went from your reaction to one of the best beers I have had. Pure bitterness to nice fruity, floral up front with bitterness way on the finish. YMMV.

Had a Stone Arrogant Bastard two days ago. I've had it before and I enjoyed it, but I've had better IPA's.

This one was about as nasty as it could be. I managed to drink half and poured the rest.

HOWEVER... Upon checking out the bottle, I noticed the lightly imprinted notice near the base of the bottle neck. "Enjoy by 8/15/13 or some such. Yep, I had bought an "old" IPA, and we all know how tasty an old IPA can be.

So, Arrogant Bastard isn't bad, just make sure you don't pick up an old one. Those are nasty.

Had a Stone Arrogant Bastard two days ago. I've had it before and I enjoyed it, but I've had better IPA's.

This one was about as nasty as it could be. I managed to drink half and poured the rest.

HOWEVER... Upon checking out the bottle, I noticed the lightly imprinted notice near the base of the bottle neck. "Enjoy by 8/15/13 or some such. Yep, I had bought an "old" IPA, and we all know how tasty an old IPA can be.

So, Arrogant Bastard isn't bad, just make sure you don't pick up an old one. Those are nasty.

Arrogant Bastard isn't an IPA. Its an American Strong Ale. Similar IBUs but not an ipa.

Arrogant Bastard isn't an IPA. Its an American Strong Ale. Similar IBUs but not an ipa.

LOL! Well don't I feel silly. At any rate, it was an old bottle, and it clearly tasted way different than a fresh one. Aging does nothing good for it, that's for sure.

Old IPA's truly are the devil. I was so excited to find Rhizing Bines from Dogfish Head, when I opened it it was just nasty. Checked the bottle, it was a year old. $14 for a year old bottle.

I bought a bottle of avery's maharaja and did not relize it was 1 year old til i got it home and started drinkn.. it was disgusting...no hops present only caramel malts and it was syrupy..those old IPA's man, dont wish them on my enemies

I bought a bottle of avery's maharaja and did not relize it was 1 year old til i got it home and started drinkn.. it was disgusting...no hops present only caramel malts and it was syrupy..those old IPA's man, dont wish them on my enemies

That IPA isn't even good fresh IMO.

Probably for me, the worst was a Shipyard Monky Fist IPA - tasted like hopped soapy dishwater.

I gave the remains of the 6 pack (5 beers) to a hophead friend of mine. He liked it. But then, this is the same guy who HATED Two Hearted, so I think he may be a little off in the head.

I dunno why but Ranger IPA always tastes like wet cardboard and I've had it several times. I love new Belgium because it was what turned me on to craft brews so I keep giving ranger chances and it always tastes bad

I think freshness might be the issue, SN doesn't do anything for me, any of their beers...blah

I think this is it. I did not like torpedo. It seemed underwhelming in the hops department. Now celebration is fantastic. Since it is seasonal I know it is fresh. We are on the East Coast.

I think another factor is expectations and rightly so. I have heard the Costco IPA put down a lot. I assume it is contracted out. Here in the East I am pretty sure it is Saranac doing the brewing. Now for 18 dollars a case I do not expect it to stand next to DFH 90 minute. What I hope for is a light bodied clean IPA. I get this from it. I also like most Magic Hat IPA's. Again I do not expect anything big at this price point. Nothing is better than a Magic Hat after a day Mountain Biking in the Mad River Valley. Of course I feel beer is like pizza. There is no such thing as a bad pizza; only good pizza and better pizza.

Not a fan of Ranger from NB at all.

The only IPA I have ever not finished was a pint of El Dorado from Ninkasi a friend bought for me at the local watering hole. Not a hop I would choose for a single hop brewing.

I can't remember the name of the beer and think it was from Left coast or Lost Coast, but I remember buying a bomber of it and being so sorely dissapointed that I went and bought a beer I normally like. It as just pure hop flavor, which I normally like, but not done well. Wish I could remember the name...

Big Sky's IPA. Way too grapefruity to me.

I've also had a British IPA that I didn't care for, but I don't recall what it was anymore.

Back