Worst. IPA. Ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaguaroMan

Reaction score
So I know there are obviously a lot of hop heads here (myself included), but I want to know the worst IPA you've ever tasted.

For me it has to be Sierra Nevada's Torpedo: a hop bomb that was way too bitter for me. I actually returned the sixer I bought back to the store.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

So I know there are obviously a lot of hop heads here (myself included), but I want to know the worst IPA you've ever tasted.

For me it has to be Sierra Nevada's Torpedo: a hop bomb that was way too bitter for me. I actually returned the sixer I bought back to the store.

Torpedo is the worst you've ever had?????

How many have you tried? I'm not saying it's the best, but it's not even close to the worst. IMO

I've had some pretty awful IPA's from small micro's, but as far as the more known breweries, I'm not real fond of Magic Hat IPA's

Worst IPA I have ever had and probably the worst beer I have ever had, it was so bad it was actually worse than BMC, Tonka beer company Preservation IPA. It just tasted like skunky water, must have been brewed with pond water. Only thing that was good about it is that a % of the profits went to preserving the minnesota lakes.

It must be taste the piney resin of the torpedo is one of my faves. I am not a huge ranger fan of new belgium

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Torpedo is the worst you've ever had?????

How many have you tried? I'm not saying it's the best, but it's not even close to the worst. IMO

I've had some pretty awful IPA's from small micro's, but as far as the more known breweries, I'm not real fond of Magic Hat IPA's

I've had my share, everything from Pyramid Outburst, to NB Ranger, to Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperandi and Decadence IIPA. Just tried Lagunitas Sucks last month for the first time, damn good beer!

I never had an IPA that I liked. Maybe I shouldn't have come to this thread. IPA's taste like someone scraped the white, inside part of a grapefruit and boiled it into a foul tea.

That being said, my wife is a hophead and Dogfish 90 is her go to.

In the words of Bill the Cat, " Phhfff Ack!"

I come here to taunt you IPA lovers. Mmmm, Scottish Ale.

I never had an IPA that I liked. Maybe I shouldn't have come to this thread. IPA's taste like someone scraped the white, inside part of a grapefruit and boiled it into a foul tea.

That being said, my wife is a hophead and Dogfish 90 is her go to.

In the words of Bill the Cat, " Phhfff Ack!"

I come here to taunt you IPA lovers. Mmmm, Scottish Ale.

Well you're from Maine, so I understand:D

I'm not a fan of most of the hoppy beers from sierra nevada. They seem to taste harsh, grassy, and vegetal to me. I have some cold aged (~2 years at this point) Celebration in my fridge that is drinkable. Ruthless Rye was OK at first, but now is fairly indistinguishable to me. However I brewed a Ruthless Rye clone based on a recipe from Zymurgy about a year ago and the beer was fantastic. Maybe because I use pellet hops? They exclusively use whole cone hops, right?

On the other hand, I love SN Porter, and SN Stout.

Torpedo the worst? Not sure about that one. I love torpedo. But I'd say the worst I had is diabolical IPA by north peak brewing in Michigan. Tasted way to piney for me. No fruit flavors just all pine. Not appealing.

Lemme second Majic Hat IPA as worst. If it's not the worst it's right up there with some of the worst. I've had other bad IPAs but I really don't have a mind for remembering what I don't like.

I could barely finish a bottle of Founders Centennial IPA. It just tasted like straight hop tea to me. I'd have to try it again to be sure

Torpedo the worst? Not sure about that one. I love torpedo. But I'd say the worst I had is diabolical IPA by north peak brewing in Michigan. Tasted way to piney for me. No fruit flavors just all pine. Not appealing.

Just saying it's the worst for me. This is, of course, a very subjective thread ;) YMMV

Try a Mikkeller ultramate 1000IBU. Then go back to a torpedo. Sometimes I eat something weird that makes beer taste more bitter. Like brushin your teeth then drinkin oj.

The bar has been raised quite high on a Torpedo these days.

Any IPA brewed by Sam Adams. I made the mistake of buying a case of 6 different Sam's IPAs. Man it took a long time to drink those.

Second would have to be Harpoon IPA. First time I had one I had the bartender triple-check that I was actually drinking an IPA. It tasted like an amber lager.

Torpedo is one of my favorites.

The worst I've ever had was Narragansett DIPA. It was just all bitterness with zero hop flavor or aroma.

All Narragansett beers are pee pee. That's the cheapest beer in the supermarket.
If you buy one, it automatically comes with a small paper bag so you can wrap the bag around the bottle as you walk down the sidewalk yelling at passing cars. It also allows you to hold onto the beer with one hand as you squeegee car windshields at stop lights.

I bought a 6 pack once, and got called a girl by a guy with a six pack of Corona and a lime.:tank:

I went to a party at a neighbors last summer, saw one Stone IPA in the cooler, and like a genius decided to drink it, not wondering why it was the only one in there. After a few swigs (really, just after smelling it), it was obvious that this beer was a guest at the party a year before, as well, and had spent the year in my neighbor's garage. It was extremely raisin-y, cardboard-y, and entirely disgusting. I put it on the ground, then pretended to knock it over. I'll never forget that beer. I think I'll pass on ever having fresh Stone IPA as well.

SaguaroMan said:
So I know there are obviously a lot of hop heads here (myself included), but I want to know the worst IPA you've ever tasted. For me it has to be Sierra Nevada's Torpedo: a hop bomb that was way too bitter for me. I actually returned the sixer I bought back to the store. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app
. You returned the beer ?!

Most may disagree, but I can't even finish a full sail ipa.

That's probably why I see them on sale at the store all the time!

I can finish one though it's not my first or second or third choice, for that matter...

I can't say it's a bad IPA, it's just a bad IPA for me; for me, the All Day IPA is one I can't get past. A lot of people dig it, but I just cant. Now I dig, Torpedo, Centennial and LOVE the Two Hearted..

to each is own.:rockin:

I went to a party at a neighbors last summer, saw one Stone IPA in the cooler, and like a genius decided to drink it, not wondering why it was the only one in there. After a few swigs (really, just after smelling it), it was obvious that this beer was a guest at the party a year before, as well, and had spent the year in my neighbor's garage. It was extremely raisin-y, cardboard-y, and entirely disgusting. I put it on the ground, then pretended to knock it over. I'll never forget that beer. I think I'll pass on ever having fresh Stone IPA as well.
Smooth.

. You returned the beer ?!
In NY that's not allowed. I accidentally bought light beer and wanted regular, so I tried to exchange it and they wouldn't let me.

Absolutely the worst IPA i have ever had has to be Four in Hand. I grabbed a six when the store was out or everything else i drink. I should have just drank something else. Wow it was terrible. I force fed it to a few friends and all got the same reaction. A close second would be latitude 48 from Sam Adams.

lol I am a big sam adams fan, but they have only done one brew they called and IPA that was worth a poo. The one i liked was called dark depths. I also sorta liked the juniper IPA from the winter pack, but thats it.

Whitewater IPA Hurl
Latitude 48 Effing Gag me with a spoon
grumpy munk belgian ipa like bubblegum clovecrapPA
the red one with tasmanian hops like satan piss.

Horrid wretched stuff

Sam Adams Whitewater is the worst IPA ever made. Absolutely horrible. I was irritated that they wasted the natural resources required to produce and distribute it.

A close second is Erie brewing's Misery Bay. Aptly named.

It must be taste the piney resin of the torpedo is one of my faves. I am not a huge ranger fan of new belgium

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

love the resin in Torpedo, but also like the biscuity,breadiness of the Ranger!
my current fave is the St. Archer

Confession IPA is absolute crap...unless you like weak barley wine...no hop presence at all!

Latest posts

Back