Worst. IPA. Ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magic Hat IPA is gross.

I was also seriously disappointed by Sneaky Pete from Laughing Dog, but the bottle I received was old, so I'm chalking it up to that. I hear from others that it rocks.

Alexander Keith's. Canadian lies.

I must say that this was going to be my choice all along simply because I (among many friends) don't feel it is an IPA at all. "a serviceable lager..." is indeed the case. That said I haven't had a true IPA that I didn't like so far. Now I've got some suggestions on what to avoid to keep it that way.

Tough crowd here. A lot of beers I like getting trashed!
Swamp Ape IPA by Florida Beer Co. Bought a 6 from the grocery store, took me a week to finish them in spite of it being 2 weeks of vacation and drinking more than I would in 2 months! I blamed poor handling, but beeradvocate has it rated poor, so maybe it was just bad.

I got a sixer of Caged Alpha Monkey and found it practically undrinkable. I kept telling my girlfriend how good it was so she'd try it. She didn't like it either, but since I was egging her on, I had to drink it as if I liked it. My plan backfired!

I do tend to like Torpedo and tried to brew a clone. My "clone" literally gives me heartburn and is probably my second least favorite IPA due to the heartburn, in spite of the good flavor.

-Cory

I like hops (I grow them so I can overuse them without worrying about cost), but Founders Devil Dancer should be renamed "Dirty Bong Water". There is a limit to how much resin flavor you can pack into a beer, and they cranked that dial up to 11.
(let the belittlement begin....NOW)

Alexander Keith's IPA. It's basically a Molson Canadian, with just a slight, slight bit more flavour.

I like hops (I grow them so I can overuse them without worrying about cost), but Founders Devil Dancer should be renamed "Dirty Bong Water". There is a limit to how much resin flavor you can pack into a beer, and they cranked that dial up to 11.
(let the belittlement begin....NOW)

I hear you. I love hops too, but man, some of these beers need have to have some kind of balance with bitterness.

"Dirty Bong Water" lol!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Shipyard IPA. I understand that its an english ipa, but it had the body and aroma of a macro lager(should be maltier than american ipas). It's all fuggles. Nothing even remotely salvageable about it.

Shipyard IPA. I understand that its an english ipa, but it had the body and aroma of a macro lager(should be maltier than american ipas). It's all fuggles. Nothing even remotely salvageable about it.

This. Hopped up shipyard is worse than regular shipyard, which is really bad.

I had a very bad experience with sneaky Pete. I also believe it was an old bottle. It foamed all over. Conversely I have been LOVING the Smutty Rhye IPA. Amazing!

I had a very bad experience with sneaky Pete. I also believe it was an old bottle. It foamed all over. Conversely I have been LOVING the Smutty Rhye IPA. Amazing!

Sneaky Pete is the beer with the Boston Terrier on it right? I got a bottle of it and never opened it but I did notice a pellicle formed. I got it mainly for the label art.

I'm not too keen on most Imperial/Double IPA's. I think that the ABV overpowers the beer in many cases. Keep the alcohol below 7.5% and everything else can shine. That said, Double D by Dominion was the worst. No flavor other than the 10% or so ABV. Turrible.

Leech Lake Brewing Company's 3 Sheets Double IPA is disgusting. Single hop brew with loads of fuggles...super gross.

My wife got me a growler from there, cost me $28 and then after she had paid, she heard the dude giving a guy a sample and telling him, it isn't fully carbed yet. When she asked him about it, he told her it would continue to carb in the growler. She didn't tell me this until she got home with it.

My buddys wife got him a bottle of it and we decided to try it, thinking my growler was a fluke. Granted, his was carbonated, but it was just as gross.

I emailed the owner and told him about it, and he offered to refund my money. I told him not to worry about the cash, but his help should know better than to tell people the kegged beer will eventually carb in a growler.

I've never had an IPA I didn't like. However, I've had many beers that I didn't like, I must just be a hophead :). A better topic would be the BEST IPAs, which would be any IPA from Dogfish Head or Firestone Walker. :mug:

Shipyard XXXX
Like pine flavored butterscotch.
There have been plenty over the years I haven't been a fan of, but that one still sticks in my mind.
Magic Hat's Blind Faith was pretty good - ages ago, before they discontinued it the first time... most of the rest of them have been interesting at best, though rarely bad enough to drain pour if they were free - I still wouldn't pay for them.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA flat out sucks. It's the first beer I can ever remember NOT finishing. It's hot garbage.

Pliny The Younger.

Just kidding! I will agree with the Trader Joe's IPA. Their beers have some cheap caramel or synthetic candy smell to them and there is always some garbage yeast profile in there as well. I guess any beer for which I have paid less than $6 a six pack full price has been just awful.

Any commercial IPA that is more than 3 weeks past the bottling date is typically a disappointment.

I never had an IPA that I liked. Maybe I shouldn't have come to this thread. IPA's taste like someone scraped the white, inside part of a grapefruit and boiled it into a foul tea.

That being said, my wife is a hophead and Dogfish 90 is her go to.

In the words of Bill the Cat, " Phhfff Ack!"

I come here to taunt you IPA lovers. Mmmm, Scottish Ale.

Try stone enjoy by. My wife hates bitter and hoppy, but ironically loved the homebrew version I did . Strange. It's over the top on flavor and aroma, so much so that the bitterness is a back seat flavor.

I've had some crappy Scottish ales that tasted like a rusty bottle cap with stale dried beer coating them. Not that I've ever tasted a bottle cap, but that what comes to mind.. Stale weyerbacher Scottish ale... Yech!

I don't like Hop Stoopid and I will never drink it again!

Yeah, I can't stand that one and I generally like just about everything else Lagunitas makes.

Any commercial IPA that is more than 3 weeks past the bottling date is typically a disappointment.

A million times this. I'd even modify that to say that any IPA that has traveled more than a day from its point of origin is not indicative of what it tastes like fresh. When it comes to IPAs, drink local and drink fresh.

Lagunitas Maximus. (not wretched, just not my jam) I am not knocking Lagunitas by the way - Sumpin sumpin is one of my all time favorites and I love most of there brews - which is probably why Maximus was such a bummer for me.

I dare anybody to tell me this was good:

Roscoes-IPA-brand-label.png

My wife got it thinking we could try something new. It was awful. I don't like to bash beers because everyone's tastes are different but I am sorry- this was bad all around. I refused to drink it. My wife did as well and we had to toss it.

Back