what is your occupation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Former civil engineer (hated it), current cardiovascular ultrasound technician, daddy and husband to a corporate attorney working for one of the top3 firms in the country which also makes me a cook, maid, chief diaper changer, chauffeur, and all other things moms and dads do and loving every minute of it

Technical Producer on an afternoon sports talk show in Charlotte NC. Check it out. The Drive 3-7p on wfnz.com

Lets see, Went to school for Network Administration, HATED IT.
Ex Army, while yes blowing stuff up and Shooting at things were fun(11 Bravo) Not so good on the body(blown knee)
Ex Navy Boring as hell(SK)
Father of 4(this is the fun job i have 2 teens 19 and 15)
Author(hoping this one actually pays some bills lol)
General Bum, Not by choice mind you, i have more health problems at 35 than most people should have at 75, Bad Knees,Bad ankles(i blame the military) Bad back,bad shoulder,and ADHD(if there is a god he/she has a really sick sense of humor...)

Sorry for your health problems, but why would you blame the Military? Were you forced to join?

Sorry for your health problems, but why would you blame the Military? Were you forced to join?

Lol that was meant has half a joke half true, Nope i was happy to join, but i did the damage to my knee in the army and my ankle in the navy, had i not joined, those two things wouldn't be damaged. Only thing i regret about it was letting Uncle Sam screw me over and not pay me for the damage they caused.

Lol that was meant has half a joke half true, Nope i was happy to join, but i did the damage to my knee in the army and my ankle in the navy, had i not joined, those two things wouldn't be damaged. Only thing i regret about it was letting Uncle Sam screw me over and not pay me for the damage they caused.

You should see if you can gey anything from VA. Better to get the ball rolling now than when they get worse.

I've got bad knees, a bad back, a bad hip, and PTSD. Thankfully the VA guy that did my out-bound paperwork manged to get me 5% disablity (sic). None of them keep me from doing anything. They just drive me crazy. I'm not getting any pay for them either, but as the VA man said, "It's easier to increase something than it is to increase noting."

Man,this is a tough one for me. Being a "former" Marine, I don't want to downplay what any Military person has done for our country. However, I don't think that serving in the Military gives anyone a sense of entitlement. Just because you served doesn't give you the right to get paid for the rest of your life.

Man,this is a tough one for me. Being a "former" Marine, I don't want to downplay what any Military person has done for our country. However, I don't think that serving in the Military gives anyone a sense of entitlement. Just because you served doesn't give you the right to get paid for the rest of your life.

I agree to a point, but if the damage was caused by someone, there should be a settlement. If it were a car accident he would have been paid for the injury.

I sell dreams.

I'm an Admissions Representative for a College.

You mean the promise of a possible dream, all while starting out $100,000 in the hole?
:)_

$100k in the hole? Not even close! Good news is we don't have Fluff degrees like English, History, or Political Science.
Degrees you can graduate and go right out and work.

SO if I applied, would the fact that I brew help my chances of getting in?

As long as you can pass the entrance test... drunk! :tank:

Oh i didn't want paid for the rest of my life lol. **** i agree with you there, But i did want paid for the rest of my contract period which was 6 years, Considering i was not injured prior to joining, and had i not been injured i would have made that money, i feel that would have been fair.

You should see if you can gey anything from VA. Better to get the ball rolling now than when they get worse.

I've got bad knees, a bad back, a bad hip, and PTSD. Thankfully the VA guy that did my out-bound paperwork manged to get me 5% disablity (sic). None of them keep me from doing anything. They just drive me crazy. I'm not getting any pay for them either, but as the VA man said, "It's easier to increase something than it is to increase noting."

Already tried, due to the fact that i was tricked into signing a release i cant get any benefits.

What they did was lay down 2 papers, and the DS said, sign the one on the right you will be home with your kids tomorrow, Sign the one on the left and you will be waiting here up to 18 months for a med board to decide. Of course i signed the wrong one...

Already tried, due to the fact that i was tricked into signing a release i cant get any benefits.

What they did was lay down 2 papers, and the DS said, sign the one on the right you will be home with your kids tomorrow, Sign the one on the left and you will be waiting here up to 18 months for a med board to decide. Of course i signed the wrong one...

what the military tricked you? i think that maybe a first...jk
always read all paperwork and make three copies (one for you, one for the unit, and the other for the unit when they lose the first one you gave them)

what the military tricked you? i think that maybe a first...jk
always read all paperwork and make three copies (one for you, one for the unit, and the other for the unit when they lose the first one you gave them)

First time in ya know, wet behind the ears green recruit that didn't think we treated our soldiers that way, RUDE wake up call that is for sure! I still have the Utmost respect for those who can put up with the BS that they dish out to serve their country. I personally just feel that our Country should treat those who protect it FAR better than it does, and i dont just mean me, i mean ALL military personal! Under Paid, Overworked, Little respect, and this is the reward for being willing to die for your country, that in my eyes, is wrong. To all you Soldiers out there protecting my right to run my mouth on this forum, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for doing what you do, and if i had my way, you would get one hell of a Raise in Pay, even though i know that isn't the reason you serve, you deserve it!

I wait tables at a fine dining restaurant. I'll be a high school biology teacher next year. I've got my BS in microbiology from UCLA, woo hoo.

Full time student, I work part time during the Fall and Spring doing Athletics Event Staff for the College.

It doesn't pay much and the hours suck but it was the only job I could find after an eight month job search. Practically had it dropped in my lap by one of my neighbors who works there, and they are flexible because they know you're a college student so it works.

Come this Fall though, I will be going and hanging around the Southern Star Brewery on Tuesdays and Thursdays (no classes those days) and helping them brew or do whatever else they want me to do. Excited about learning more about all grain brewing and building connections in the TX brew scene.

Geologist. I worked 10 years on the drilling rigs as a mudlogger, then 14 years as a consultant and for the past 6 years I've run the mudlogging company I started with back in '82.

I'm jealous, you all have interesting sounding jobs, I do clean up at in n out burger in san diego (looking for a new job SO BAD). Just signed up and will be a studying biology in the fall so I can make my way to pro brewer status.

kscaglio said:
biochemist/neuroscientist (aka lab rat)

:mug:

I'm studying neuroscience. *Very* soon I have to make the decision of how I'm going to finish my degree - as in, whether I want to specialize in behavioral or cognitive neuroscience. Any thoughts?

funkapottomous said:
Full time student, I work part time during the Fall and Spring doing Athletics Event Staff for the College.

It doesn't pay much and the hours suck but it was the only job I could find after an eight month job search. Practically had it dropped in my lap by one of my neighbors who works there, and they are flexible because they know you're a college student so it works.

Come this Fall though, I will be going and hanging around the Southern Star Brewery on Tuesdays and Thursdays (no classes those days) and helping them brew or do whatever else they want me to do. Excited about learning more about all grain brewing and building connections in the TX brew scene.

So you goto school at SHSU?? I goto Shsu and live near the southern star brewery

So you goto school at SHSU?? I goto Shsu and live near the southern star brewery

Yup. I live in Huntsville, though. My girlfriend and I have an apartment on Josey.

What's your Major/Minor?
I'm doing GBM and minoring in entrepreneurial business studies. Going to be taking 18 hours this fall so I can do 12 in the spring (that way I can do night classes or something) and hopefully work/get something going so I'm not jobless when I graduate.

Back