What foods DON'T pair well with beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNoExpert

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I see all these "fancy schmancy" beers with food pairing suggestions and to me, it just reeks of pretentiousness. For the life of me, I can't think of any food outside of toothpaste and orange juice that doesn't pair well with any beer, in my mind.

What foods don't pair well with beer (if any)?

I see all these "fancy schmancy" beers with food pairing suggestions and to me, it just reeks of pretentiousness. For the life of me, I can't think of any food outside of toothpaste and orange juice that doesn't pair well with any beer, in my mind.

Cotton candy?

I don't think it's so much that they won't pair with beer... so much as how well they do. I can drink a wine with any dinner, but some wines mesh better with particular food.. same with beer.

I can't think of any actual food that beer isn't good with though. :mug:

I don't think it's so much that they won't pair with beer... so much as how well they do. I can drink a wine with any dinner, but some wines mesh better with particular food.. same with beer.

I can't think of any actual food that beer isn't good with though. :mug:

I'd say liver. Nothing is good with liver.

Durian? I don't know, I've never had durian, but from what I hear the smell would overpower everything else.

Well, yes, there is stuff like durian, lutefisk, and other odd "foods." But here I'd question whether they are really foods to begin with. :D

Incidentally, you know why Norwegian dogs lick their own a$$holes, don't you?

The fruit that tastes like heaven and smells like hell, or at least that's what they say. I don't personally agree with either of those. I think the popularity of it is based on its rumored ability to put lead in one's pencil. I find the taste somewhat bland so I don't see why it wouldn't go with beer.

I gotta disagree with the artichoke comment. Artichokes are wicked on pizza. Are you saying beer doesn't go with pizza?

No. I do put tinned artichoke bits on my pizza and do enjoy beer with it. What I referring to is the way in which a full, fresh (not tinned) artichoke heart changes the taste of anything you eat/drink immediately after it. I definitely don't like the way it changes the taste of beer!

Back