What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need some advice from y'all, what would you do with a boneless lamb roast? It has to be simple, and on the stove top. I have a sautée pan and a small pot. I have very little seasonings and no oven (staying in an extended stay right now). I've got garlic, salt and pepper, ancho chili pepper and I can pick up some herbs for it. I'm going shopping tomorrow so I can pick up most of what I need as long as it's nothing too expensive.

Yesterdays traditional dinner

IMG_5052.jpg

My birthday dinner!! 1.5 lb porterhouse, baked sweet potato and asparagus. Try to remember to take a pic when the veggies are cooked and the meat is warmed. If i'd thought about it I'd broke out the grainfather set a 125* "mash" temp and souse vide this bad boy.

I like rare but I at least put it on the fire for a minute of two;)

You're on the right track with souse vide, great technique.

Not that I remember. That one is a pretty common looking granite though.

When I had my kitchen built, I picked out 4 slabs of that granite (it's called something Bordeaux). I then went on a vacation to san francisco with my family to avoid the demolition mess. When I got back, the company that was doing the granite work called and said "sorry, we accidentally sold two pieces of your granite to another customer". Of course, they didn't have anything that was close. We fired them.

Luckily, my type A++ wife had written down the block and slab numbers. The foreign granite companies cut giant cubic blocks of granite somewhere, then slice it into consecutive slabs. From one end to the other, the look of the slices can differ significantly. While looking for a more responsible granite place, across the bay from us, we found two slabs that were the next numbers in our exact same block. Dumb luck. We re-hired the original company and ended up with a great kitchen.

With all the steak experts, I hate to even post, but I'm cooking a couple of filets tonight. And mine are not tasteless! Lol. Don't like even expensive ribeyes because they are just too fatty, love T-Bones and Porter Houses, my personal favorite, but these filets from Costco just rock! Ready to cook.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458349552.487383.jpg

With all the steak experts, I hate to even post, but I'm cooking a couple of filets tonight. And mine are not tasteless! Lol. Don't like even expensive ribeyes because they are just too fatty, love T-Bones and Porter Houses, my personal favorite, but these filets from Costco just rock! Ready to cook.

View attachment 345377

Fat is flavor my friend. Fat is flavor. If you go for a piece of meat with a nice marbling of intramuscular fat you will find that even if you cook your steak more it will remain moist, juicy and will be extra tasty.

I'll post pics when they're done but I'm making pizzas tonight. Since I made the duck proscuitto I've been dying to try it on a pizza with chargrilled artichokes.

Nice grill Nat!

Thanks!

Altered our taxes so we would get a great tax return to pay off my wife's tuition from Purdue. Luckily we were able to pay it off before hand, so a generous donation was made to Lowes for that lovely grill (which was in desperate need of replacing the old one)

We have some property a few counties south, so we have cut down some hickory trees and are currently seasoning them so my brother and I will have some good smoking wood this summer

Had a few guys over tonight and bbq'd up some burgundy peppercorn tri-tip. Or as its better known name... Cardiff crack. It comes from a small market in Cardiff by the sea (small beach town in San Diego) and this stuff is the bees knees. Cooked it to a nice med rare and served it with mashed potatoes. No other greens or veggies cuz it was guys night. Was also enjoyed with some Arturo fuente cigars, homebrew and macallan 12

View attachment 1458455042794.jpg

Had a few guys over tonight and bbq'd up some burgundy peppercorn tri-tip. Or as its better known name... Cardiff crack. It comes from a small market in Cardiff by the sea (small beach town in San Diego) and this stuff is the bees knees. Cooked it to a nice med rare and served it with mashed potatoes. No other greens or veggies cuz it was guys night. Was also enjoyed with some Arturo fuente cigars, homebrew and macallan 12

What's the marinade you've got on there then?

I'll have to look up what that cut is known as here as neither tri tip or Cardiff crack (rack?) means anything to me lol.

What's the marinade you've got on there then?

I'll have to look up what that cut is known as here as neither tri tip or Cardiff crack (rack?) means anything to me lol.

It's a magical marinade haha. Secret recipe of the market. And yes, it is actually known as Cardiff crack (here's the website for it https://cardiffcrack.com. I'm on mobile so can't see where here is, but I was under the impression that tri tip was a fairly universal term.

It's a magical marinade haha. Secret recipe of the market. And yes, it is actually known as Cardiff crack (here's the website for it https://cardiffcrack.com. I'm on mobile so can't see where here is, but I was under the impression that tri tip was a fairly universal term.

Ah it's bottom sirloin in the uk. According to google we don't often sell this cut of meat as many butchers here grind it for mince. I think it's only a universal term in the US, it doesn't seem to be known as that throughout most of the rest of the world lol.

Brunch - eggs, home fried potatoes with onion, bangers, and soda bread. Sorry no pics, though I took some... Stupid Apple crap not working right:(

Back