What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Orange brined pork tenderloin with balsamic, pinot noir, sour cherry reduction & blue cheese sauce; spaghetti squash with basil and bacon; and green beans with bacon, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese.

IMG_20160417_204544.jpg

Made shawarma chicken and pitas,
View attachment 350863
Good stuff!

I'm planning shawarma for the near future. Our local shawarma place closed and it is one of my favourite foods in the world. Still trying to nail down the sauces. There was a white paste (garlic I'm pretty sure), a red sauce (spicy), and a tan coloured tahini type sauce. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Oh and here is a pic from the weekend. Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. Put a rub on it and through it in the cold smoker for a couple hours with on of my country hams before grilling over Applewood and glazing with some bbq sauce.

Attachments

• 1460996161905.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 91
Didn't get pics, but the family loved the " real" steak sammiches I've been making. I find the Italian bread to work better. Browned up thin top round carne asada steaks After making grilled onions, mushrooms & peppers in my cast iron skillet, sliced thinly in olive oil & butter. Salt & cracked black pepper on the steaks. Cut the bread about 90% open, then line with steaks. Top with onion mixture. Then top that with pepperjack cheese & stick in a 375F oven for some 5 minutes or so. Shredded pizza cheese-motz & provolone- are darn good as well! Slice & manja!:mug:

Was too busy to snap more pictures, but my home made bacon was done maturing so sliced and packed 16 pounds of pure pork love. Some Black Pepper/garlic, some Brown Sugar, and the piece de resistance BriCan Maple. I may put on 10 pounds and have a heart attack in the next month but I'll die a happy man... :-D
Unfortunately I've found that smoked meats are not leaving much time for brewing beer. I can much more easily buy great beer than I can buy great meat treats so I've been brewing less frequently :(

Was too busy to snap more pictures, but my home made bacon was done maturing so sliced and packed 16 pounds of pure pork love. Some Black Pepper/garlic, some Brown Sugar, and the piece de resistance BriCan Maple. I may put on 10 pounds and have a heart attack in the next month but I'll die a happy man... :-D
Unfortunately I've found that smoked meats are not leaving much time for brewing beer. I can much more easily buy great beer than I can buy great meat treats so I've been brewing less frequently :(

That is some seriously gorgeous bacon! I'd take that over beer too.

Shawarma is new to me so please send me to school!

I used Tahini stright up.:mug:

The guy at the place I liked that just closed used to smear what I believe to be pureed garlic on the pita before building all the veg, pickles, and chicken than topped the whole works with 2 sauces one that definitely has a tahini component and the other one is a really bright orange spicy sauce. Pure heaven.

Poblano chicken soup in progress again tonight. I love this recipe, but given the prep time alone it's probably something I should not attempt on a school night! Lol

I like the technique that recipe calls for! If it works for you I may give it a try. How did you keep your culture at 100 degrees F for 3 days?

When I did the starter, i just kept it in the oven for 2 days. Mine goes down to such low temperatures. Ran convection as well for more even heat distribution.

I brew on a Braumeister, so just went into manual mode, set the temps to 100F and ran the pump for 24 hours.:mug:

Appears to be a lull in the thread! Unusual but happens. Nothing special. Cooking a couple of strips tonight and grilling some asparagus to go with.

No pics, sorry, but I made a dozen plus 4 chicken/onion/green chile/cheddar enchiladas with red sauce. Will take the 4 up to my Dad and stepMom tomorrow. KOTC and I ate 6 tonight and I'll freeze the other 6.

Last night I had a Spicy Chicken sandwich with cheddar and jalapeños.

It was Wendy's.

Been a busy week!

This weekend I plan to grill pizza and start curing some bacon, and something needs to be done with those jalapenos in the fridge. I'm thinking some smokey links, some cream cheese, and some bacon would pair well with them!

Also, I'm looking to find a few morels this weekend. With luck I'll be posting a pic or two of a nice steak with morels on the side (or covering the top, or whatever!)

Local strawberries are in! I'll be doing some jam in the next week or two. And eating some fresh, of course. Maybe make a shortcake. Oh, and with a good, older balsamic vinegar over ice cream. Mmmm.

Local strawberries are in! I'll be doing some jam in the next week or two. And eating some fresh, of course. Maybe make a shortcake. Oh, and with a good, older balsamic vinegar over ice cream. Mmmm.

Any chance you make your own ice cream too? One of the best ice creams ive ever had was a parmesan ice cream with strawberries and balsamic vinegar on top. It was heaven!

Mmmmm duck fat.... I had leftover rare Ribeye and roasted Brussels Sprouts. I just started seeing a personal trainer and she said I had to increase my protein content even further so it's a good thing grilling season is here again :ban:

(Granted, she also said I had to give up homemade cured meats (because nitrates cause stomach cancer) so I consider it a victory that I just ignored that comment instead of screaming "BLASPHEMY!" and walking out)

No pics, sorry, but I made a dozen plus 4 chicken/onion/green chile/cheddar enchiladas with red sauce. Will take the 4 up to my Dad and stepMom tomorrow. KOTC and I ate 6 tonight and I'll freeze the other 6.

I wish you did have a picture because they sure sound good! I'm having all kinds of Mexican food cravings now that the weather has warmed up again here!

Any chance you make your own ice cream too? One of the best ice creams ive ever had was a parmesan ice cream with strawberries and balsamic vinegar on top. It was heaven!

That sounds excellent! I haven't made ice cream in awhile. My teeth are sensitive to cold and my parents always did strawberry ice cream and peach ice cream when I was a kid...with chunks of fruit in it. I hated biting into the frozen fruit. But the flavor was good. These days, the fruit would definitely go in a a puree or as a topping after. Parmesan ice cream, though...I can imagine simmering parmesan rinds in cream to make the base.

I'm starting to think I may need to switch to a bigger pot!! Maybe should not have doubled the recipe. Looking like this will make about 1400 enchiladas!! Lol

Back