What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raw vegan "pad Thai" with zucchini noodles, purple cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, sprouts, green onion, and a honey ginger miso soy sauce.

I thought it was actually pretty good, but the wife finally decided that maybe the raw vegan diet ain't for her.

View attachment 349289
Nice salad...colorful! Now eat a burger like the on in the post after yours and you won't be hungry in a half an hour.
:D

You have a recipe for this. I have to make next time I smoke some salmon sounds so good.

Right here you go:

1 Finely chop a couple of small challots and mince a clove of garlic. Add to a pan on low heat with a splash of olive oil and soften. You want them to go translucent and not pick up any colour.
2. I you're using dried tagliatelle add it to a large pan of salted,boiling water. Fresh stuff can be held back for another 5 or 6 minutes.
3 add a glass of dry white wine to the onions and garlic and boil off the alcohol for a couple of minutes.
4. Add double cream ( I think you call it heavy cream in [emoji631]but not sure) until sauce reaches the consistency you desire. Season to taste.
5. Drain pasta and throw smoked salmon trimmings and finely chopped dill into sauce. ( literally just do this at the last minute to stop the dill going grey and the salmon over cooking.)
6. Stir into drained pasta and serve.

It's that simple.

Right here you go:

1 Finely chop a couple of small challots and mince a clove of garlic. Add to a pan on low heat with a splash of olive oil and soften. You want them to go translucent and not pick up any colour.
2. I you're using dried tagliatelle add it to a large pan of salted,boiling water. Fresh stuff can be held back for another 5 or 6 minutes.
3 add a glass of dry white wine to the onions and garlic and boil off the alcohol for a couple of minutes.
4. Add double cream ( I think you call it heavy cream in [emoji631]but not sure) until sauce reaches the consistency you desire. Season to taste.
5. Drain pasta and throw smoked salmon trimmings and finely chopped dill into sauce. ( literally just do this at the last minute to stop the dill going grey and the salmon over cooking.)
6. Stir into drained pasta and serve.

It's that simple.

Thanks! Now I just need to get some salmon to put in the smoker.

Fajitas from last night. Overnight lime jalapeno marinade on the beef. Can't remember what all went into the chicken marinade but it soaked about 2.5 hours. I REALLY love Fajitas!!

Fajitas.jpg

Grilled some wings last night (Love grilling wings). Mt brother picked up some wings from a mexican shop close to his work... Not frozen, wing and flap together, marinated, etc... Best wings Ive ever had. I have to hunt these bad boys down...

Tomorrow I am heading in the city some to a few Mexican stores to see if I can score some of these wings or at least find out the marinade... If I only had pics.

I've kept busy this weekend, after buying a new GMG (Jim Bowie) pellet smoker, I've been itching to break it in. I started with a couple salmon filets the other night, no photos but I was more than happy with how they turned out.

I made a couple loaves of bread yesterday, with a sourdough starter I've been growing for a couple weeks.

Yesterday I prepped for today's smoke. I stuffed some jalapenos with cream cheese, a few different shredded cheeses, onion, bacon, salt, pepper, and some dry rub.

I also tried something new to me, making my first fattie. Weave a blanket of bacon, flatten out some breakfast sausage and layer with jalapeno, cheeses, and some spinach. Roll the sauasage into a log, and then roll that into the bacon weave. Probably the most unhealthy thing I could come up with. Turned out well though, very sweet with good flavor, but of course very greasy and bad for you.

View attachment 1460307115635.jpg

View attachment 1460307128239.jpg

View attachment 1460307141272.jpg

View attachment 1460307157324.jpg

After a weekend at a friend's house I decided to relax at home and make Champagne Chicken for my wife. We have a nice restaurant in a nearby town and she loves to order that every time we go there (which is not that often...)

Anyway, I didn't have Shallots, so I substituted some sweet onion. Also didn't have Champagne because I forgot to stop at the party store on the way home. So I substituted German Gewurztraminer wine that we had that nobody liked.

And it was the best version yet! I think I'm settling on that recipe after about 4 attempts yielded just "ok" meals. Also cooked up some parmesan and pea Ristotto and bacon fried green beans.

Have not been cooking today. But have been experimenting with etching glass. Not where this should go but you folks are kinda family to me after all this time.

Nice work, Travis!

I etch and also engrave/carve glass and tile - it's a great, relaxing hobby.

Here's a Johnny Walker Blue Label bottle I did for my Dad for his 85th birthday. The lettering is sandblasted, the Indian head is hand-carved using a high-speed drill rather like what the dentist uses!

Johnnie Blue bottle 4 Dad2.jpg

What method did you use? I've thought about this, but haven't tried any of them yet.

I used a Silhouette Die Cutting machine to cut a vinyl template, then I used Armour Etch acid cream to etch it. The other side of the glass has a Jester King logo, but it came out to light. So when I did the one pictured above I warmed the Armour Etch in an almost hot water bath prior to using it and got better results, but it's still splotchy. My next attempt will be sand blasting which should give me a much more opaque and even etch.

Nice work, Travis!

I etch and also engrave/carve glass and tile - it's a great, relaxing hobby.

Here's a Johnny Walker Blue Label bottle I did for my Dad for his 85th birthday. The lettering is sandblasted, the Indian head is hand-carved using a high-speed drill rather like what the dentist uses!
Thank you!

I have read about carving with a dremel, but have not tried it yet. That Indian head is just amazing!! You are very talented indeed! :mug:

Thank you!

I have read about carving with a dremel, but have not tried it yet. That Indian head is just amazing!! You are very talented indeed! :mug:

You're too kind - thank you! We call my Dad "Big Chief" so that's the reason for the decor on that bottle. It's blasted/etched then rubbed with a silver oil-based paint. Hard to tell that in the photo.

My favorite medium is 12" square black granite tile. Here is one I did on that - and then I'll stop bragging - LOL! First one is tile before adding color, second one has acrylic paint rubbed into the etched portions:

cardinals tile1BC.jpg

cardinals with color.jpg

Back