What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also thinking I maybe should have studied the recipe closer. It's 8:30 PM here, so I'm thinking I may have enchiladas by 11-midnight! Lol. They better be good.

Just one of those nights. I had to change to a bigger pot after I put the toasted flour and beef back in then started adding the chicken stock. Now it's another reduction like the tomatoes were before the roux with the beef and flour. Lol

Definitely texmex enchiladas and definitely look amazing. Now i want to make some its been a while. What kind of chilis did you use

LOL, sorry, Travis! :)

Those look excellent but man that was a LOT of work!

I did take a couple pics of mine but honestly, they look just like your finished pan, except I put halved black olives, two on each 'lada, on top.

They're smack-a-lip good just as I'm sure yours are!

At SWMBO's suggestion, I put cauliflower on the grill and it was really, really good. I just sliced it through the core so it kind of held together as 1/2 inch slices, brushed it with olive oil, added salt, and grilled for a couple minutes over direct heat, then let it sit for a little longer over indirect heat. Man, was it good. Definitely doing that again.

Because it was the first time doing this, I took the little bits that wouldn't hold together in the big slices and wrapped them up in foil with olive oil and salt. My thinking was if the grilled stuff sucks, then at least we'll have some can't-miss steamed stuff. The steamed stuff was super boring, so next time I'll put the little bits in some kind of open pan on the grill so it gets nice and smoky.

image_zpskgn8edog.jpg

Gochujang meat loaf with Mae Ploy, Panko, and chives. :mug:

How did those enchiladas work out they looked amazing. A lot of people in Denver and even restaurants just use powdered enchilada red chili mix I use them and I also use dried red chilies. I make chilaquiles way more than enchiladas same sauce

View attachment 1461527965908.jpg

No pics, but I finished my last batch of pulled pork and mushrooms on Saturday by way of a big juicy sandwich on half a baguette, with homemade sauerkraut and some cheap BBQ sauce.

The other half of the baguette was yesterday's dinner - one large tomato, sliced, sprinkle of oregano, drizzle of organic Italian olive oil, mature Irish cheddar and Italian Parmigiano Reggiano, topped off with some cheap lunch meat ham and chucked in the oven until the cheese was melty.

I also put on a new double batch of pulled BBQ. Ten king oyster mushrooms (1.2 kilos - total cost $1.35 - sometimes I love China) fork shredded and sauteed in a wok to get a lot of the water out, two pork shoulders (total 1.3 kilos) seared in the wok and then steamed in the wok with the runoff mushroom juice from the mushrooms, one sliced onion, two cloves of garlic, a chopped Hainan yellow lantern pepper and one jalapeno, then a chopped apple, a few star anise and bay leaves, and a couple dozen Sichuan peppercorns in a spice bag. Tossed in the slow cooker at low with a can of Coke for about six hours, then I shredded the pork and tossed it back in and then left running overnight. Now it's on the "warm" setting until we get home tonight.

When I first heard about using those mushrooms in pulled BBQ it seemed crazy to me, but then I tried it and discovered they make a perfect complement to the meat. I wouldn't do a full batch of just mushrooms without the meat like the recipe where I got the idea from, but going half and half is a cheap way to fill up the recipe while making it healthier and just as tasty.

Cooked my left hand,,, medium well. All of us that cook a lot have done this but bless it is painful

Screaming hot pan out of the oven, grab pan a few minutes later. ouch, I always put a towel over the handle as a reminder that it is hot. Tonight, got distracted, forgot the towlel, grabbed hot handle. Good thing I have a lot of one cup frozen chicken stock containers in the freezer. Been switching them out regularly. Even took one with me on my walk with the dogs.

Not as exciting as that meatloaf above (!), but I made a bunch of hot sauce with chilis I grew. Pick when red, chop in food processor, add to pressure cooker with a bunch of vinegar and some salt, cook for a few minutes, puree with immersion blender, strain, eat.

Tastes like Texas Pete's. I love it.

_mg_1408-67149.jpg

_mg_1434-67160.jpg

_mg_1436-67161.jpg

_mg_1439-67162.jpg

_mg_1445-67165.jpg

_mg_1448-67166.jpg

That's the best endorsement you could come up with? "Tastes like North Carolina Coonass"? :p

I would hope if you went to all that trouble making it at home, it would taste better than that. Quit being so humble. ;)

It's tasty, but nothing special. I eat a lot of tabasco-type hot sauce. I like other kinds, and I'll make those (I've got habaneros growing too -I'll make my world famous Mango Habanero Prune Hot Sauce with those).

Making this hot sauce is lot easier than I apparently made it sound. About 20 minutes really. My plants produce enough peppers to make a couple of pints of this every week, so I'll be doing something more exotic in the future I'd guess.

Not as exciting as that meatloaf above (!), but I made a bunch of hot sauce with chilis I grew. Pick when red, chop in food processor, add to pressure cooker with a bunch of vinegar and some salt, cook for a few minutes, puree with immersion blender, strain, eat.

Tastes like Texas Pete's. I love it.

_mg_1408-67149.jpg

_mg_1434-67160.jpg

_mg_1436-67161.jpg

_mg_1439-67162.jpg

_mg_1445-67165.jpg

_mg_1448-67166.jpg

Those 2 bucket self watering?

You have seen my self watering sub irrigated kiddie pools no? From same people who thought of 2 buckets just a little more evolved. The root bags and walmart bags supposedly air prune roots, but those buckets dont look like the roots are binding to me. Check out larry halls rain gutter system. Basically same premise as 2 bucket but self watering. Essentially 2 2x4 with a rain gutter in between. Then using a swamp cooler float water is maintained in channel. Buckets sit on top with 3inch net cups in channel. Just an idea.posted a few pics for ya. Guess what I'm going to grow in them?thats right, hops! The bags or bucket will keep those suckers tamed too.

Sorry a little off topic, can you please help me start a hbt all things gardening thread.

View attachment 1461559499033.jpg

View attachment 1461559531528.jpg

View attachment 1461559552130.jpg

View attachment 1461559592921.jpg

View attachment 1461560128338.jpg

View attachment 1461560137781.jpg

View attachment 1461560147021.jpg

Cooked my left hand,,, medium well. All of us that cook a lot have done this but bless it is painful

Screaming hot pan out of the oven, grab pan a few minutes later. ouch, I always put a towel over the handle as a reminder that it is hot. Tonight, got distracted, forgot the towlel, grabbed hot handle. Good thing I have a lot of one cup frozen chicken stock containers in the freezer. Been switching them out regularly. Even took one with me on my walk with the dogs.

Yikes... hope it heals soon.

I was washing the dishes this weekend, turned around for a second to talk to SWMBO and almost hacked off my finger with the serrated blade from KitchenAid food processor. Blood all over the place..

OUCH to you two injured HBT people! Hope you both heal up fast!

I didn't make it, but had pot roast tonight - signature dish of my Dad, who is 90 and still enjoys rattling those pots and pans around. It's so tasty - plenty of onions, both regular sliced and pearl, new potatoes, carrots, diced tomatoes, of course some good beef, and a bottle of Cab, not sure what all else he puts in it but it's delicious stuff - he loves to invite us over whenever he makes it because he knows KOTC is a big fan of it.

90. And he's still lifting around that big-azzed oval blue Le Creuset Dutch oven too, it's no small fete when it's full of all that pot roast!

That's the best endorsement you could come up with? "Tastes like North Carolina Coonass"? :p

I would hope if you went to all that trouble making it at home, it would taste better than that. Quit being so humble. ;)
Just so you know, Coonasses come from Louisiana; not North Carolina.

Just so you know, Coonasses come from Louisiana; not North Carolina.

Of that I am aware. ;) My dad's side of the family is full of 'em.

"Texas" Pete = a Louisiana-style pepper sauce made in North Carolina

"North Carolina Coonass" may not make a whole hell of a lot of sense, but it's still somehow more fitting a name for that sauce than "Texas Pete".

My smoker sucks. The element I tried using isn't hot enough to COOK ribs, and I don't have it set up to really smoke much either. Am thinking about hitting up Craigslist to find someone's unused smoker.

Meantime I brought the ribs in and baked them in foil at 250 for a while then coated with sauce and put them back in with the potatoes. They actually came out pretty nice. I'd post pictures, but you all know what ribs and potatoes looks like (Has nothing to do with me forgetting to take pics again...)

Mine is mes 30 on amazon I paid 150 but I see them fluctuate from 150 to 200. 2500 reviews most of them positive I think it's the way to go. I mean I guess I would maybe like a bigger one or more expensive one but I don't see the need other than if you want something that automatically feeds pellets. This is the one case where I don't think used on Craigslist would be the best way to go less you want like $1,000 one for cheaper. I can assure you that I used it all winter and negative degree temperature and it still worked. They have a more expensive one comes with a window not sure why anybody would want a window.

My cousins is propane and it is nice because it is large and he uses coal inside to create flavor

Anyone here cook fish? I messed up and not sure where. The GF been trying to get fish onto our menu, but damn if talapia doesn't taste like dirt and most other stuff just rubbery. (And sushi just too damn expensive for more than once a year...lol)

So, Costco had some red snapper that looked like everything they tell you on cooking shows. Clear eyes, shiny scales, colorful undamaged fines. I figured I'd give it a go since snapper should be a nice clean white fish.

(I did NOT know that they were still scaley, haven't descaled a fish since boy scouts when I gave that up as a bad idea. Scales in hair, ears, shirt, yard, etc.)

I stuffed with some herbs and slices of grapefruit, salt and pepper on outside, tied it up and sprinkled (well more like poured) olive oil over it. After the grill had cooked up two chickens and a pork loin, the fish went onto the grill. They seemed to take a long time to cook (putting this in here in case it is relevant) and first turn happed at around 10 min. Then easily another 10 before the skin started to burst/crisp.

The fish was, well, cooked very badly. It was mushy with no texture, but it was cooked white. You could pull pieces off with your fingers and they looked ok, nice white color, but bleh they were mushy and flavorless when eaten. What with the texture and that the bones reminded me of the other reason I stopped fishing my own food as a boyscout, I couldn't finish my meal.

Was it me? Or is that really what red snapper on a grill is like?

Back