Wai-Iti report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellyho

Reaction score
Bought a pound of these because they were on sale. Then my wife asked: how much beer can you brew for my campaign kick off party? Challenge accepted!

Of course, the time frame was tight (3 weeks), but we have Kveik! So, an easy drinking pale ale was in order and I brewed up Bee Cave's recipe, modified to shift all hops (lemon drop and huell melon as I recall - what I had on hand) to whirlpool (and added some to compensate for lost bitterness).

To me, the result was underwhelming. My Bud Light drinking friend: "great beer"! I have a keg left and was despairing of drinking it all.

Enter Wai-Iti. 3 oz. in a giant tea ball, and, even after just 12 hours, much more interesting! Definitely taste the peach note on top of just the right amount of hop bite. Totally saved my boring-ass pale ale! Thank you, Wai-Iti!

I'm sure that perked it up.
But... that tea ball (although huge) may still have been too restrictive to extract all the flavor and aroma from 3 oz. :tank:

For keg hopping I use fine mesh "hop bags" with some weights in them. Much roomier.

It's a great hop even though the AA is very low, I just did a Pilsen/Wai-iti smash w US-05 2 weeks ago should be great for the really hot days around the corner.

I'm sure that perked it up.
But... that tea ball (although huge) may still have been too restrictive to extract all the flavor and aroma from 3 oz. :tank:

For keg hopping I use fine mesh "hop bags" with some weights in them. Much roomier.
True, I meant one of those long mesh tube thingys, but it was easier to say tea ball. I agree, 3oz in the tea ball would be hop explosion. Might even max out the space in the tube, and it's 10in long.

Latest posts

Back