New Zealand IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kold Brygg

Reaction score
I'm planning av NZ IPZ@6% ish

Does anybody want to have look?

88% 2R Pale Ale
8% CaraBlonde EBC 20
4% CaraGold EBC 120

60 min 145
15 min 167

Hop schedule
0,06 oz/g Rakau FirstWort IBU13
0,06 oz/g Pacific Gem 60min IBU17
0,03 oz/g Pacific Gem 45min IBU8
0,11 oz/g Rakau 5min IBU4
0,32 oz/g Wai-Iti Dry-Hop 3 days
0,27 oz/g Rakau Dry-Hop 3 days
0,27 oz/g Nectaron Dry-Hop 3 days

Lallemann Voss Kveik 2days@95-ish + 3 days@65 (or should I just cold crash and Dryhop?)

Any thought on how you think this and especially the hops would work?

Never tried Rakau hops before . I have a few ounces of them . I'm interested in how your beer turns out .

To be fair I haven't thought to much of the malt base. This is my first attempt to make my own recipe, so I thought I'd go safe and copy the malt base of a commercial and try the hops. I was debating between a New England-ish malt base and a more classisc American IPA. I'm open du change (both malt and hops). :)

I've made quite a few IPAs, Pales, and NEIPAs with NZ hops only. And a NZ pilsner. They were all great. Pacific Gem is a great bittering hop, I'd use that for most of your IBU's (42 if my addition is right). Put that at 60 and get most of your IBU's there. A 5 or 10 min addition of any of the others is good, too. Then use the rest in the whirlpool. Rakau is wasted at FW. I'd also put some Nectaron hotside.

And mashing at 145? 149 would be better (more room for error) if you want a very fermentable wort.

Get rid of the CaraGold and half the CaraBlonde. Make it up with base or wheat malt. The dry hop is fine. I'd do it after a soft crash to 50 if you have a way to mitigate O2 ingress. My 2 cents... Cheers!

I've made quite a few IPAs, Pales, and NEIPAs with NZ hops only. And a NZ pilsner. They were all great. Pacific Gem is a great bittering hop, I'd use that for most of your IBU's (42 if my addition is right). Put that at 60 and get most of your IBU's there. A 5 or 10 min addition of any of the others is good, too. Then use the rest in the whirlpool. Rakau is wasted at FW. I'd also put some Nectaron hotside.

And mashing at 145? 149 would be better (more room for error) if you want a very fermentable wort.

Get rid of the CaraGold and half the CaraBlonde. Make it up with base or wheat malt. The dry hop is fine. I'd do it after a soft crash to 50 if you have a way to mitigate O2 ingress. My 2 cents... Cheers!

Thanks I really appreciate this. I'm quite new to this using my old man's Beer Brew 30 automatic and couple of plastic fermentation buckets. I have just done a few brew (fixed sets). Foolish enough to enter a competition. What can go wrong? I won't win, but can learn something, have a few beers and a bit of fun :)

60 IBU is a bit to high, I'll keep it below 50.

Other than that I've adjusted my recipe according to your suggestions. But I've never tried hotside, so I suppose I need to read or view a youtube video :D

So, to clarify, when I said "put that at 60" I mean add the Pacific Gem at 60 minutes, usually the start of the boil. I'm not saying 60 IBU's (although for an IPA that is fine, depending on your OG). Your 42 IBU's is fine for a Pale.

And "hotside" means anything that's done in the boil kettle, like boil and whirlpool additions. My whirlpool is usually around 170 for 20 minutes. You could do that manually with a spoon, or just allow the hops to steep for that time. There is no consensus on the "best" temp and time combo...

To be fair I haven't thought to much of the malt base. This is my first attempt to make my own recipe, so I thought I'd go safe and copy the malt base of a commercial and try the hops. I was debating between a New England-ish malt base and a more classisc American IPA. I'm open du change (both malt and hops). :)

Take this with a grain of salt because I am a newb at all-grain, but I would consider using about 75% 2 Row and 25& Munich. I usually try to add about 3% wheat in there too (so more like 73,24,3). Crystal malts tend to make the beer too sweet when used at those levels. Munich will add a touch of sweetness and color without it overpowering the hops.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Cheers!

I'm curious on this as well. Have you brewed it yet?

I'm looking at doing a tropical pale and was looking at using Citra, Wai-iti and Rakau.

I know people usually stick with all NZ hops when they do it but is there anything wrong with mixing in a bit of Citra? Could swap out the Citra for Galaxy as well...?

I'm looking at doing a tropical pale and was looking at using Citra, Wai-iti and Rakau.

I know people usually stick with all NZ hops when they do it but is there anything wrong with mixing in a bit of Citra? Could swap out the Citra for Galaxy as well...?

Not yet, hoped to do it today, but never got the chance.

I've made some adjustments to the recipe.
I'm afraid the Wai-Iti will be overpowered by the others.
So Waiema replaces both Wai-Iti and also Pacific Gem as bittering hop.

https://share.brewfather.app/HeaB0aa4yhPiQ6

I've bottled this today, and it is very promising. I've got no hesitation recommend the recipe.

Citra would be a nice replacement for Nectaron. So would Galaxy.

If you can't get Waimea, Pacific Jade would be a great replacement. If you want an American Sultana/ Denali should be great.

Back