Pangea Proxima Polar IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Saturday, I'm going to brew an extract version of the AHA Big Brew Day beer, the Pangea Proxima Polar IPA. I usually brew at a the CHAOS homebrew club brewhouse, but that is closed right now, so I'm going to do a stove top extract batch for the first time in a long time. I'm actually really looking forward to it. I've never been afraid or looked down on extract brewing, I have friends who only do extract and make excellent beers and I often add extract to really big, high OG beers. For me, the real issue of brewing at home is fermentation - I already have one chest freezer in my tv/room den for a kegerator, I really couldn't squeeze another one for fermentation temp control in, at least until my wife has enough of my idiocy and leaves me. I guess I could use one of those units that sits on top of the fermenter with a spike that goes into the wort and cools, but with the brewhouse, I just haven't had the need to figure out how to brew at home since we moved back into the city. Anywhoooo . . . . .

The Big Brew Day recipe calls for using Kveik yeast - perfect, because I have two packs of Omega Hot Head yeast in my fridge! I was able to get the Moutere and Wai-iti hops the recipe calls for from Farmhouse Brewing Supply, but not the third hop (whose name is ecaping me now), so I'm subbing in some Chinook for the 60 minute addition.

Oh, I'm also doing a 3 gallon batch, because my boil kettle will be my 5 gallon stock pot and I want to do a full boil, not topping off. I have a 3 gallon carboy that I sometimes use for cider batches, so I'm set for the that.

So they named it Pangea Proxima Polar because in some 10 million years from now, our planet will once again be dominated by a super continent, which has been named Pangea Proxima, I guess. The Polar comes from the hops being close to the south pole (New Zealand) and the yeast being close to the north pole (Norway).

The one issue I'm going to have is no capacity to cold crash the fermenter, to help clarify the beer. I might take a keg out of my kegerator, rack the beer into another keg, and cold crash in there. That's seems like it would work.

Here's the recipe I'm using. BTW, this reminded me of one of the biggest challenges of extract brewing - the cost. Wow, is extract expensive. If I were to move to extract brewing more fully (if I got tired of going into the brewhouse, for example), I'd need to slow down my brewing schedule and brew more small beers, I think.

AHA Big Brew Day
Pangea Proxima Polar IPA
Extract Version

Batch Size: 3 Gallons
Equipment: 5 gallon boil pot, 3 gallon carboy, 3 gallon keg
Target OG: 1.062
Predicted IBU: 75
Predicted Color: 5 SRM

Chicago water, run through a Brita carbon filter and set out

5 lbs Breiss Golden Light DME

0.5 oz Chinook (11% AA) @ 60 min
1 oz Moutere (16% AA) @ 15 min
0.25 oz Moutere @ steep/whirlpool for 15 minutes
1 oz Wai-iti (2% AA) steep/whirlpool for 15 minutes
2 oz Moutere dry hop for four days
2 oz Wai-iti dry hop for four days

Irish Moss
Omega Hot Head Kveik Yeast
White Labs Clarity Ferm

Ferment at room temperature

These are new hops to me, both are described as high oil hops, so adding a lot of aroma, at least for a while LOL. Anyone used these? Anyone else brewing for the Big Brew Day?

I didn't order the ingredients, but I'll still brew on Saturday as part of the spirit of the day. I'll make an IPA, but with US hops so it'll be a totally different beer.
I'm going down to 5 gallon batches, so it's easier for me to handle these days.

I didn't order the ingredients, but I'll still brew on Saturday as part of the spirit of the day. I'll make an IPA, but with US hops so it'll be a totally different beer.
I'm going down to 5 gallon batches, so it's easier for me to handle these days.

What hops do you have on hand?

Not that many- when we turned off the kegerator, I had two HUGE piles of hops to take care of. Some were for the downstairs freezer (about 20 pounds), including all of the cryo hops I had received at HomebrewCon, purchased, etc. About 2 pounds went into a different freezer. About 10 pounds were older hops from various sources that I didn't want anymore. Bob mixed those up, and threw away the "good" hops.

So I'm down to having just a couple of pounds of simcoe, amarillo, and some chinook, mosaic, cascade and citra (very little). For some reason, I have about 1.5 pounds of northern brewer pellets! Bob wants a bit more malt in this IPA, as the one I have on tap right now doesn't have a strong malt flavor, nor much crystal at all. I have an odd assortment of malts too!

So I'm thinking a citrusy IPA:
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 80.0 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 7.3 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) 7.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 3.6 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 1.8 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 mins
1.00 oz Mosaic 12.5% Flame out
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlp
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Bob mixed those up, and threw away the "good" hops.

Bad Bob!!!!!!

Down to a few "pounds" of hops, well, I think you'll do fine LOL. And that recipe looks great. Our IPA on tap right now is a Red IPA and it has a little more malt background than a straight-ahead IPA, I get Bob's point.

Back