Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kimmich from the Alchemist has talked on some of his youtube videos about how much he loves the lupulin powder in the whirlpool. maybe there is something to it; their beers are super strong in hop flavor.

Where have you read about the lupulin for keg additions?

Obviously anecdotal (I think the stuff is too new to get a general consensus of what works and what doesn't) but Scott Janish and Michael Tonsmiere (even in his most recent blog post) have had success with using it in later additions (dry-hop after secondary ferm > dry-hop for biotransformation)

Obviously anecdotal (I think the stuff is too new to get a general consensus of what works and what doesn't) but Scott Janish and Michael Tonsmiere (even in his most recent blog post) have had success with using it in later additions (dry-hop after secondary ferm > dry-hop for biotransformation)

Never having tried it, theoretically, i don't see how it couldn't be better in every way.

Never having tried it, theoretically, i don't see how it couldn't be better in every way.

Not sure! I think I'd trust Kimmich more than anyone though! Now that it's available to homebrewers, I'm sure there will be more and more opinions flooding in almost weekly.

FWIW, I'm brewing tomorrow. Using mosaic powder (actual lupulin powder, not in pelletized form) for both dry hop additions. In the whirlpool tomorrow though, I'm using mosaic pellets (non-lupulin powder, just run-on-the-mill pellets) for the whirlpool. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I've been using Lupulin powder off and on since November. It is incredibly potent. I would say use 30-40% in weight of what you would use in traditional Pellets. Looks like they're making the powder in pellet form now which is nice. The powder is super hard to get into solution. From my experience it's best late in the whirlpool and maybe a small amount in the keg. I've tried an all powder beer and it was not that awesome. To me it has a weird almost too intense flavor/aroma when used by itself. I actually think some green matter is beneficial. I found it best to mix it with pellets throughout the process.

Using it as a "Bio Transformation" substance is pointless as I believe research has shown that the "biotransformation" happens between the yeast and the green matter of the hops.

It's probably just semantics, but there is indeed biotransformation of hop oils during fermentation. Scientific research has shown certain oils drop precipitously over a few days while others rise. It could be inferred that this is an act of biotransformation

I've been using Lupulin powder off and on since November. It is incredibly potent. I would say use 30-40% in weight of what you would use in traditional Pellets. Looks like they're making the powder in pellet form now which is nice. The powder is super hard to get into solution. From my experience it's best late in the whirlpool and maybe a small amount in the keg. I've tried an all powder beer and it was not that awesome. To me it has a weird almost too intense flavor/aroma when used by itself. I actually think some green matter is beneficial. I found it best to mix it with pellets throughout the process.

Using it as a "Bio Transformation" substance is pointless as I believe research has shown that the "biotransformation" happens between the yeast and the green matter of the hops.

sounds awesome!

I added a dry-hop charge to my keg with the actual lupulin powder, and it definitely messes with the activity in the bubbler. I know fermentation is done, but I think the powder is acting like nucleation points and drawing CO2 out of solution, causing regular activity within the bubbler. Anybody else see this?

What's the closest recipe at this point? I'd like to avoid reading through all 129 pages, if possible.

There is more to brewing that recipes. Just think of all the mountains of juicy information that lie in those 129 pages, just waiting for you! :mug:

this is actually fairly accurate. you'll do well by cold side hopping the ever loving crap out of a simple grain bill with any combination of galaxy, citra, mosaic and simcoe and fermenting with 1318. it's the process of keeping oxidation low and timing the dry hopping that matters quite a bit. as far as I know, no one has gotten a recipe that can be called a clone.

this is actually fairly accurate. you'll do well by cold side hopping the ever loving crap out of a simple grain bill with any combination of galaxy, citra, mosaic and simcoe and fermenting with 1318. it's the process of keeping oxidation low and timing the dry hopping that matters quite a bit. as far as I know, no one has gotten a recipe that can be called a clone.

True.

I was following Braufessor's "Northeast Style IPA" thread there for a while and have made several LODO batches with his recipe. He has a very detailed explanation of his process on the first page. I was hoping there was something like that in this thread. :mug:

As far as dry-hop timing, what do you think is the best day(s) during fermentation? Or do you decide on other factors? (i.e. Specific gravity, Krausen level)

As far as dry-hop timing, what do you think is the best day(s) during fermentation? Or do you decide on other factors? (i.e. Specific gravity, Krausen level)

I like doing 24 hours after fermentation until 5 days after ferm. Then a second addition for 4 days before I cold crash.

I've done 3 days after pitch and one day before kegging twice now. I recently made a NEIPA with comet, and I think it worked a little too well. Comet is a pretty potent flavor

Ill be kegging this on Sunday and will have 1 week to carb it.
What you guys recon the best method would be
1. Natural carb for 1 week with sugar
2. Set it and forget it for a week in the fridge
3. High bust carb
4. Force carb and shake method

Thx

3. High bust carb

Thx

set it at like 30 psi for 24 hrs then sample. if more is needed then keep the pressure up. should settle in fine by a week

I've done 3 days after pitch and one day before kegging twice now. I recently made a NEIPA with comet, and I think it worked a little too well. Comet is a pretty potent flavor

I've read that Comet gives off an aroma described as "Wild American", this is the first time I've this terminology used. Do you mind describing what you particularly get out of Comet? I assume "wild american" is dank/marijuana qualities...

I've read that Comet gives off an aroma described as "Wild American", this is the first time I've this terminology used. Do you mind describing what you particularly get out of Comet? I assume "wild american" is dank/marijuana qualities...

I'll let you know when I'm at home. For some reason, they don't allow kegs of homebrew at work :mug:

I used comet in a recent IPA and wish I hadn't. Wild American — I get a gamey (wild) grapefruit-y thing going on that had an uncanny ability to pierce through everything else even though I used in smaller proportions relative the rest of the dry hop charge. In an IPA I don't think I will use it again, BUT — I didn't mind it at all in a Saison (though I would still dramatically lower the amount).

I would also like a better description of "wild American". I mean, my wife is pretty wild and she is American, but I doubt that is what they are talking about...

I used comet in a recent IPA and wish I hadn't. Wild American — I get a gamey (wild) grapefruit-y thing going on that had an uncanny ability to pierce through everything else even though I used in smaller proportions relative the rest of the dry hop charge. In an IPA I don't think I will use it again, BUT — I didn't mind it at all in a Saison (though I would still dramatically lower the amount).

How much were you using in an IPA and how did you use it? What about a saison?

3. High bust carb

Thx

Keg beer, place in keezer. Wait 24 hour (cold beer likes CO2). Set regulator to 40 psi for 24 hr. Reduce to serving pressure. No PURGING!! Dump a pint or so (depends on your racking prowess). Enjoy delicious beer.

I used 50:50 Comet and Mosaic in a recent hoppy saison. I think the Mosaic was most prominent (with berry-like notes), but I definitely got plenty of grapefruit too. No idea what the "wild American" part is. That beer had no dankness at all. I wouldn't use it again, but I am planning on using up the remaining 12 oz in an NE IPA Oat SMaSH at some point (for science)...

Keg beer, place in keezer. Wait 24 hour (cold beer likes CO2). Set regulator to 40 psi for 24 hr. Reduce to serving pressure. No PURGING!! Dump a pint or so (depends on your racking prowess). Enjoy delicious beer.

What CO2 volumes are you getting in your beer with this method? Also, is 24 hours enough time for beer to drop from RT to ~40ºF?

I haven't read much positive info on comet. Isn't Yakima trying to sell it as Citra's sister or something like that? They must have a ton of it to get rid of. Used it once with Galaxy, never again.

Unless you have a Zahm how does anyone know what CO2 volume they actually have?

Not really asking for a measurement. But people know what temp their kegs drop to, and with the Blichmann QuickCarb, I've carbonated to a specified CO2 volume level based on the CO2 chart and their directions. Just wondering if there are any calculations/math behind this or if you can hit specific volumes of CO2 with burst carbonating like this...

What CO2 volumes are you getting in your beer with this method? Also, is 24 hours enough time for beer to drop from RT to ~40ºF?

I would guess 2.5 volumes, but I am also overly sensitive to carbonic acid (from high levels of CO2), so it could be lower. And yes, I believe that is plenty of time for temp equilibrium to occur.

Not really asking for a measurement. But people know what temp their kegs drop to, and with the Blichmann QuickCarb, I've carbonated to a specified CO2 volume level based on the CO2 chart and their directions. Just wondering if there are any calculations/math behind this or if you can hit specific volumes of CO2 with burst carbonating like this...
it's a trial and error thing with high pressure for less time. cold beer needs less time or lower pressure. warm beer can take higher pressure for longer, etc. you'll learn what works after a few trials. just dont turn it up to 40psi on cold beer and leave it 2 days or you might have super foaming!

"Wild American" is actually not terribly far off. It tastes like mutant Cascade to me. Ton of grapefruit rind, bitter orange, with certain amount of bite. It completely overwhelms the Citra I put in. I can only taste it if I truly look for it. I used it mostly in dry hopping, and I was heavy handed. I've never had an issue with the technique, but the Comet IPA is tannic and bitter. It may be higher in certain compounds than other hops. I hopped the same base beer with the same amount of Chinook and it was smoooooth compared to this beer. I would not consider it very dank or marijuana like.

True.

I was following Braufessor's "Northeast Style IPA" thread there for a while and have made several LODO batches with his recipe. He has a very detailed explanation of his process on the first page. I was hoping there was something like that in this thread. :mug:

You read through all 457 pages of that thread? Care to give us the highlights?

[Comet...] "Wild American" is actually not terribly far off. It tastes like mutant Cascade to me. Ton of grapefruit rind, bitter orange, with certain amount of bite [...]

Mmm, yummy, that's right up my alley.

I've been using some whole red grapefruit peels in the 20' 170-180F whirlpool to mimic that effect in several brews. The well-hopped Saison was unbelievably good after about 4 weeks in the keg. The IPAs done that way were always good from the start.

I'll be adding Comet in my next hop purchase, which will be when this year's harvest hits YVH/HD.

Mmm, yummy, that's right up my alley.

I've been using some whole red grapefruit peels in the 20' 170-180F whirlpool to mimic that effect in several brews. The well-hopped Saison was unbelievably good after about 4 weeks in the keg. The IPAs done that way were always good from the start.

I'll be adding Comet in my next hop purchase, which will be when this year's harvest hits YVH/HD.

I saw "Pasadena" in your profile and was going to tell you to stop on by for a taste, but then noticed that your Pasadena couldn't really get much further from my Pasadena without crossing an ocean

I saw "Pasadena" in your profile and was going to tell you to stop on by for a taste, but then noticed that your Pasadena couldn't really get much further from my Pasadena without crossing an ocean

Thank you for reaching out with an invitation. I really wish I was on your coast so I could stop by for a taste, and bring you some of mine. These NEIPAs have become my favorite beers in a short time, always looking for them at breweries and taphouses.

Speaking of, I need to brew more of these, one gets taken to a homebrew event in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back