Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you calculate the OG, FG, or IBU? My mash efficiency is probably very different than yours, so just using those grain numbers will likely give me a very different final product.

I use beersmith with the default efficiency settings. Mine his a bit lower than predicted by the software but I'm not getting worked up about it.

Currently doing a NEIPA
GRAIN BILL
84.4% 2row
10.5% flaked oats
5.1% honey malt
1/4 tsp citric acid after boil
HOPS
4 ml hopshot 60 min
1 ml hopshot 45 min
1 oz galaxy 5 min
1 oz galaxy 0 min
1 oz amarillo 0 min
1 oz citra 0 min
YEAST
split batch into twp
1- wlp california ale yeast
2- wlp london ale III
DRY HOP
2 oz galaxy 3 days
2 oz amarillo 3 days
2 oz citra 3 days

Currently doing a NEIPA
GRAIN BILL
84.4% 2row
10.5% flaked oats
5.1% honey malt
1/4 tsp citric acid after boil
HOPS
4 ml hopshot 60 min
1 ml hopshot 45 min
1 oz galaxy 5 min
1 oz galaxy 0 min
1 oz amarillo 0 min
1 oz citra 0 min
YEAST
split batch into twp
1- wlp california ale yeast
2- wlp london ale III
DRY HOP
2 oz galaxy 3 days
2 oz amarillo 3 days
2 oz citra 3 days

I've never used hopshots before but it honestly looks like you're adding a heavy bittering addition. Not that the term IBU means much this day in age but just curious what does yours calculate out to with those two hopshot additions?

fwiw, that doesn't look far out of bounds to me - the popular heady topper clone recipe "as seen on hbt" uses 10ml of hopshot for a ~5 gallon batch.

bt/dt, have been using ctz instead.
hella cheaper, same effect...

cheers!

Orange juice. Has anyone landed on the exact grist bill to get a big, bright orange color similar to this?

IMG_7110.jpg

I've tried a couple of the recipes on this thread and have found what I think is the definition of orange Julius. Kinda sad because it's so good I don't know what else I can do to make it better. It's pure orange dreamscicle/Julius. I think I'll slowly move onto an SR-71 clone from here on out. Thanks for all the help guys!

IMG_8625.jpg

Orange juice. Has anyone landed on the exact grist bill to get a big, bright orange color similar to this?

In my experience (aside from lighting effects), the following is key. Target an SRM in the high 6s, minimize oxidation (browning) and make sure you have a rich amount of protein/hop haze (I realize this is vague, but London III does the trick for me everytime)

The lighting in this pick makes it look a little darker, but it is legit OJ.

hwg5g0.jpg

11# golden promise
3# white wheat
1# carapils
1# flaked wheat
6 oz honey malt

Citra/Rakau/Galaxy in that order of percentages
7 oz between 5min and whirlpool
8 oz dry hops (2 as ferm slows and 6 post ferm)
Gigayeast VT

Some other pointers... get your boil going quickly and then back the temp down to around 210 for more of a good simmer. A big gnarly boil is a good way to darken the hell out of your brew. Also, I've cut my whirfloc addition bAck to a quarter tablet just to help slightly with the initial kettle break material. And to reiterate the last post... be SUPER diligent with o2 pickup control after brew day. Adding dry hops is the only time I'm ever cracking my lid anymore. I'm not even sampling or taking gravity readings until I transfer To the keg. My color and hop characteristics have improved greatly.

IMG_8801.jpg

LL,
Looks great.
I'm very happy with how mine has been coming out but Im going to try your boil advice next time. I always keep a roaring boil. I never use whirfloc but I'm going to try 1/4 tablet too.
Where are your starting and ending fermentation temps?

Some other pointers... get your boil going quickly and then back the temp down to around 210 for more of a good simmer. A big gnarly boil is a good way to darken the hell out of your brew. Also, I've cut my whirfloc addition bAck to a quarter tablet just to help slightly with the initial kettle break material. And to reiterate the last post... be SUPER diligent with o2 pickup control after brew day. Adding dry hops is the only time I'm ever cracking my lid anymore. I'm not even sampling or taking gravity readings until I transfer To the keg. My color and hop characteristics have improved greatly.

a good addition to this technique is to ferment in a keg under slight pressure. taking samples is as easy as attaching your picnic tap and pulling one. It also reduces the amount of trub and junk your beer sits on

LL,
Looks great.
I'm very happy with how mine has been coming out but Im going to try your boil advice next time. I always keep a roaring boil. I never use whirfloc but I'm going to try 1/4 tablet too.
Where are your starting and ending fermentation temps?

I ferment Conan at 67 for the first 3 days. Once it slows and the krausen drops I add in my 2 oz of bio hops at raise to 69. As it really slows down to a crawl I'll bump to 70 and eventually when things stop completely I'll add in the big round of dry hops and drop temps to 60-62 to help the hops soak up and eventually drop out instead of cake up and float. 3-4 days max for me with the second addition and then I'll drop to 55 overnight the night before I keg. I'm a big fav of fermenting with Conan around 67 to coax out that peachiness

Hello everyone,

Planning to give this a shot following Little_Lebowski grain bill.

Wanted to have your thought on this recipe and percentage:

--------------------------
Boil Size: 3,97 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3,44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2,64 gal
Bottling Volume: 2,38 gal
Estimated OG: 1,067 SG
Estimated Color: 4,0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30,9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87,5 %
Boil Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs 6,5 oz Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2,0 SRM) Grain 1 66,9 %
1 lbs 1,6 oz Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2,0 SRM) Grain 2 16,7 %
6,3 oz Oats, Flaked (1,0 SRM) Grain 3 6,0 %
6,3 oz Wheat, Flaked (1,6 SRM) Grain 4 6,0 %
2,8 oz Oats, Golden Naked®™ (Simpsons) (9,1 SRM Grain 5 2,7 %
1,8 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1,0 SRM) Sugar 6 1,7 %
0,49 oz Citra [14,20 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 7 8,5 IBUs
0,49 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11,70 %] - Boil 5,0 mi Hop 8 7,0 IBUs
0,49 oz Nelson Sauvin [11,70 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 9 7,0 IBUs
0,99 oz Citra [14,20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20,0 Hop 10 4,7 IBUs
0,49 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11,70 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 11 1,9 IBUs
0,49 oz Nelson Sauvin [11,70 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 12 1,9 IBUs
1,0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124, Yeast 13 -
0,49 oz Citra [14,20 %] - Dry Hop 5,0 Days Hop 14 0,0 IBUs
0,49 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11,70 %] - Dry Hop 5,0 Hop 15 0,0 IBUs
1,06 oz Citra [14,20 %] - Dry Hop 3,0 Days Hop 16 0,0 IBUs
0,53 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11,70 %] - Dry Hop 3,0 Hop 17 0,0 IBUs
0,53 oz Nelson Sauvin [11,70 %] - Dry Hop 3,0 Da Hop 18 0,0 IBUs

Subbing carapils for flaked oats, maybe flaked barley should be better...
And as honey malt is impossible to find here in europe I was thinking on putting some GNO, but maybe a light caramel would fit better ?

As well I guess it's all about personal taste, but the combo Nelson/Citra/Mosaic should work ?

Should I even bother trying if I only bottle? I tried a NEIPA and in the bucket it was outstanding, after full carb up it had way less aroma and flavor, and now a month after that its kinda absent entirely Is there any way to prevent all that oxidation? purged bottles? I think the time also sucks at 70F conditioning.

Chucknorris. I would try it but use 1318 not Conan. Maybe condition at 67-8 and start drinking early. Those bottles shouldn't be around at one month! :). I've noticed with us05 that if I bottle on day 10 rather than 14 that it takes fewer days to carb bc the yeast is still more active I assume.

Hello everyone,

Planning to give this a shot following Little_Lebowski grain bill.

Wanted to have your thought on this recipe and percentage:

--------------------------
Boil Size: 3,97 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3,44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2,64 gal
Bottling Volume: 2,38 gal
Estimated OG: 1,067 SG
Estimated Color: 4,0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30,9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87,5 %
Boil Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs 6,5 oz Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2,0 SRM) Grain 1 66,9 %
1 lbs 1,6 oz Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2,0 SRM) Grain 2 16,7 %
6,3 oz Oats, Flaked (1,0 SRM) Grain 3 6,0 %
6,3 oz Wheat, Flaked (1,6 SRM) Grain 4 6,0 %
2,8 oz Oats, Golden Naked®™ (Simpsons) (9,1 SRM Grain 5 2,7 %
1,8 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1,0 SRM) Sugar 6 1,7 %
0,49 oz Citra [14,20 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 7 8,5 IBUs
0,49 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11,70 %] - Boil 5,0 mi Hop 8 7,0 IBUs
0,49 oz Nelson Sauvin [11,70 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 9 7,0 IBUs
0,99 oz Citra [14,20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20,0 Hop 10 4,7 IBUs
0,49 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11,70 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 11 1,9 IBUs
0,49 oz Nelson Sauvin [11,70 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 12 1,9 IBUs
1,0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124, Yeast 13 -
0,49 oz Citra [14,20 %] - Dry Hop 5,0 Days Hop 14 0,0 IBUs
0,49 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11,70 %] - Dry Hop 5,0 Hop 15 0,0 IBUs
1,06 oz Citra [14,20 %] - Dry Hop 3,0 Days Hop 16 0,0 IBUs
0,53 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11,70 %] - Dry Hop 3,0 Hop 17 0,0 IBUs
0,53 oz Nelson Sauvin [11,70 %] - Dry Hop 3,0 Da Hop 18 0,0 IBUs

Subbing carapils for flaked oats, maybe flaked barley should be better...
And as honey malt is impossible to find here in europe I was thinking on putting some GNO, but maybe a light caramel would fit better ?

As well I guess it's all about personal taste, but the combo Nelson/Citra/Mosaic should work ?

Add another ounce or two to your second round of dry hops to make it a 1:3 ratio of bio dry hops and post ferm dry hops

Your gonna need some sort of c15 or c20 in there to add a touch more color and sweetness. At least ~4%. The way things look right now I'm afraid it's gonna be a bit too pale and dry to support the hops. Good luck!

Anyone tried using lupulin powder on these batches? I just grabbed a large amount of Citra and Mosaic to test and wondered if anyone incorporated them into this recipe.

Add another ounce or two to your second round of dry hops to make it a 1:3 ratio of bio dry hops and post ferm dry hops

Your gonna need some sort of c15 or c20 in there to add a touch more color and sweetness. At least ~4%. The way things look right now I'm afraid it's gonna be a bit too pale and dry to support the hops. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

Swapped the GNO for 4.6% Carahell 10L/25EBC/12SRM if you think that would get me closer to your recipe I'am fine with it and will go ahead. :)

The only other caramalt I have is castle malting ruby ~19L, probably would get me closer for the color but the flavor might be different.

As well this would be my first time using caramalt in neipa/ipa since I started brewing since I'am always afraid that it will clash, but I'am willing to exbeeriment and your recipe looks pretty tasty.

Thanks for the feedback.

Swapped the GNO for 4.6% Carahell 10L/25EBC/12SRM if you think that would get me closer to your recipe I'am fine with it and will go ahead. :)

The only other caramalt I have is castle malting ruby ~19L, probably would get me closer for the color but the flavor might be different.

As well this would be my first time using caramalt in neipa/ipa since I started brewing since I'am always afraid that it will clash, but I'am willing to exbeeriment and your recipe looks pretty tasty.

I definitely wouldn't worry. I know there has been a lot of talk about keeping caramel malts out of current IPAs. At that percentage with a 10L it's going to be so subtle but it will keep it out of trouble of drying out. With a 18-20% wheat addition you definitely run that risk. The sweetness it does add will compound with the tropical characteristics in your hops and give you a fruitier flavor.

Chucknorris. I would try it but use 1318 not Conan. Maybe condition at 67-8 and start drinking early. Those bottles shouldn't be around at one month! :). I've noticed with us05 that if I bottle on day 10 rather than 14 that it takes fewer days to carb bc the yeast is still more active I assume.

Thanks, though how do you condition? I used 1318,and did exactly that, in fact I was ready and able to bottle on day 8 it finished out so fast. Hopped on day 1 and day 5. Still took about 3 weeks to for carb to be meaningful. Perhaps my bottling process brought alot of oxidation from the start. How do you keep it down during that? Do you bottle straight from the fermentor?

I definitely wouldn't worry. I know there has been a lot of talk about keeping caramel malts out of current IPAs. At that percentage with a 10L it's going to be so subtle but it will keep it out of trouble of drying out. With a 18-20% wheat addition you definitely run that risk. The sweetness it does add will compound with the tropical characteristics in your hops and give you a fruitier flavor.

Thanks again Little_Lebow, so I guess the recipe is done and I have to brew it and report back.

Another question for everyone, but what is your opinion on GNO vs low color "normal" caramel malt ?

Thanks again Little_Lebow, so I guess the recipe is done and I have to brew it and report back.

Another question for everyone, but what is your opinion on GNO vs low color "normal" caramel malt ?

If we're working off the LL recipe for now, can someone post their latest rendition/consensus? I'll brew this beer next week if I can get specifics.

Thanks, though how do you condition? I used 1318,and did exactly that, in fact I was ready and able to bottle on day 8 it finished out so fast. Hopped on day 1 and day 5. Still took about 3 weeks to for carb to be meaningful. Perhaps my bottling process brought alot of oxidation from the start. How do you keep it down during that? Do you bottle straight from the fermentor?

Yeah that is weird that its taking 3 weeks to carb.

I'm not doing anything special and I've only a few batches of improvement since switching away from Conan but I'll name a few things in case... carbing with table sugar not corn sugar, usually aiming for 2.3 volumes, and getting enough carb to enjoy say by day 5. Fully carbed by day 8-10. The higher the gravity the longer it will take to carb.

I do use a bottling bucket and bottling wand - it amazes me how the traditional IPA's never seem to suffer from this crazy exposure to oxygen that they get from sitting in the bottling bucket but I try to move the beer in and out of it quickly.

How much 1318 did you pitch? My latest batch I used 2/3 of a yeast cake which is a lot more yeast than I usually use so that might have helped a lot.

If we're working off the LL recipe for now, can someone post their latest rendition/consensus? I'll brew this beer next week if I can get specifics.

Just to be said... the hop schedule I listed pages back with citra galaxy and Rakau wasn't intended to be a Julius clone but the malt bill in sure is close. I haven't had Julius in a while but a 3:2:1 citra mosaic and Amarillo could you in the ballpark.

Just to be said... the hop schedule I listed pages back with citra galaxy and Rakau wasn't intended to be a Julius clone but the malt bill in sure is close. I haven't had Julius in a while but a 3:2:1 citra mosaic and Amarillo could you in the ballpark.

Definitely going to try that malt bill out! What exactly do you mean by 3:2:1?

Does anyone know the IBU (ballpark) for Julius?

Just a ratio of quantities of the various hops listed. Three parts citra two parts mosaic one part Amarillo is a good place to start.

But this is the dry-hop ratio, I assume? What did you bitter with?

Personally everything is five minutes or less. If you want a quick suggestion:

1.5 oz citra
1 oz mosaic --------- Flame Out
.5 oz Amarillo

1.5 oz citra
1 oz mosaic ---------- 20 minute whirlpool @ 150-170*F
.5 oz Amarillo

1 oz citra
1 oz mosaic --------- DH addition at tail end of ferm

3 oz citra
2 oz mosaic -------- DH addition for 3-4 days when ferm is complete
1 oz Amarillo

Do you guys think TH may use pilsen malt? Im in the garage whirlpooling a batch and Im drinking a Green as I type this. Ill put the tulip glass down, bring it to my face every few minutes and I get a lager aroma. Could be that the beer is a month old but I definitely am getting that smell.

What we know about Tree House beers/Julius:

No flaked anything.
No wheat.
100+ (theoretical) IBUs according to Nate.
FG 1.013
There's Citra in there
More sulfate than chloride
Use of hop extracts for "smooth bitterness" (we know they use warrior extract in Haze, what about Julius?)

And all we don't know:

Exact blend of yeasts
Malt bill
Hops/schedule

This is a tough nut to crack.
Considerations: Nate says no flaked anything, and most do not contain oats. Leaves the door open to Malted Oats. I swear there's some munich/vienna in there, and I definitely get some columbus. (Given the brewers stated influences, I have a theory that this began as an inspired by Sip of Sunshine beer.)

What we know about Tree House beers/Julius:

No flaked anything.
No wheat.
100+ (theoretical) IBUs according to Nate.
FG 1.013
There's Citra in there
More sulfate than chloride
Use of hop extracts for "smooth bitterness" (we know they use warrior extract in Haze, what about Julius?)

And all we don't know:

Exact blend of yeasts
Malt bill
Hops/schedule

This is a tough nut to crack.
Considerations: Nate says no flaked anything, and most do not contain oats. Leaves the door open to Malted Oats. I swear there's some munich/vienna in there, and I definitely get some columbus. (Given the brewers stated influences, I have a theory that this began as an inspired by Sip of Sunshine beer.)

You make a 100+ IBU, sulfate-heavy beer without flaked grains or wheat and tell me how that Julius clone is.

You make a 100+ IBU, sulfate-heavy beer without flaked grains or wheat and tell me how that Julius clone is.

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/724960590695927808
"theoretical IBUs on Julius/ Green etc well north of 100. Never actually measured. Softness a function of process/water etc"

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/730392938912452609
"@mmstaron @MarshallBArtist no flaked anything..."

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/730382240782290944

"@treehousenate huge fan! and homebrewer. I can't get Treehouse in Texas so I've been guessing...Do your IPAs have oats?!? Huge debate"

Replying to @MarshallBArtist
"@MarshallBArtist most do not..."

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/697190895150592001

Devon Reed‏ @reeddevon 6 Apr 2016
More
Replying to @treehousenate
@treehousenate some speculate TH and other "New England IPAs" go high on CaCL and lower on CaSO4 to get silky mouthfeel. Wrong speculation?

Nathan Lanier‏ @treehousenate
Replying to @Michiganimal
"@Ruckusz28 highish CaSO4..Lowish CACL..."

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/730392884906598400
"@mmstaron @MarshallBArtist the only pale beer I have brewed with wheat was Curiosity Six.."

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/724960590695927808
"theoretical IBUs on Julius/ Green etc well north of 100. Never actually measured. Softness a function of process/water etc"

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/730392938912452609
"@mmstaron @MarshallBArtist no flaked anything..."

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/730382240782290944

"@treehousenate huge fan! and homebrewer. I can't get Treehouse in Texas so I've been guessing...Do your IPAs have oats?!? Huge debate"

Replying to @MarshallBArtist
"@MarshallBArtist most do not..."

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/697190895150592001

Devon Reed‏ @reeddevon 6 Apr 2016
More
Replying to @treehousenate
@treehousenate some speculate TH and other "New England IPAs" go high on CaCL and lower on CaSO4 to get silky mouthfeel. Wrong speculation?

Nathan Lanier‏ @treehousenate
Replying to @Michiganimal
"@Ruckusz28 highish CaSO4..Lowish CACL..."

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/730392884906598400
"@mmstaron @MarshallBArtist the only pale beer I have brewed with wheat was Curiosity Six.."

I know what Nate has said in the past-been following this thread for a bit. But I'm not sure I believe a lot of that.

I've honestly become fairly skeptical of the impact of the water minerals when considering the other processes such as yeast, hop amounts/application, carbonation level, pH and the grain bill. I really haven't noticed much of an impact since switching to a 2:1 Cl:SO4 ratio. I regularly have TH beers, and believe me, I'd know it if I got the mouth feel that beers like Green have. It's possible that the minerals become greater than the sum of their parts when other aspects are involved, but that is more than difficult to figure out

Back