Trade Homebrew Pictures!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granted, CCB obviously wasn't prepared for this situation and it wasn't handled well, but I don't believe it is entirely fair to place all of the blame on the breweries. After all, they aren't the ones that created all the hype. Yeah, they make a big deal out of the release BUT it is the consumer that creates this ridiculous demand.

I've never had Huna, and I'm sure it is a fantastic beer, but I'm sure as hell not going to spend hundreds of dollars on airfare, lodging, etc. to wait hours in line for a beer that I may or may not be able to get. After all, it's just beer...not the cure for cancer or world hunger, but beer.

If I luck out some day and manage to score a bottle in a trade, great, but if not, oh well...it's just beer. Chances are I'll get my hands on something as good or better in the near future. I'll drink it, love it, and then move on to the next beer because there is so much freaking great beer available these days.

Getting all butt-hurt and bent out of shape because a brewery falls short of the expectations of their over zealous fans seems unreasonable when it is ultimately the consumer that creates the demand. I'm a huge music fan, and many times I've not been able to see an act I wanted to see because tickets sold out before I could get one, but never have I stopped supporting a band because I wasn't quick enough to get a ticket. It isn't their fault (or problem) that SO many people like their product that some are left out when it comes to purchasing tickets, or beer in this case.

If Huna truly is some life altering beverage, feel free to send me a bottle to prove me wrong and maybe I'll change my tune, but for now I'll continue to enjoy the excellent shelf beers I am able to buy daily along with the great beers I manage to get in the occasional trade.

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit here, but I am rather buzzed and tired at the moment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app
While I can't agree with the analogy of the concert, I do agree about the beer itself. Having never had it, if I don't ever get to try it then I won't know what I am missing. But it is hard to call someone butt hurt who had a guarantee of 3 bottles and didn't get them. Especially since they had to travel by plane to get there.
You ever scored tickets to a sold out concert, then got to the door and be told to bless off and leave? If not, I hope you do some time, then you can explain if you are butt hurt because of all the other hype creating fans or just pissed off because of poor planning. Little difference here IMO.
I feel for you for sure. I hope they make it right for you and others with more than the refund of a ticket.
Exactly you had tickets. You didn't miss out on them. A guarantee is a guarantee and they didn't deliver their promise!
This

This is what would piss me off. But I don't like the crowds that decide to chant and get all crazy when the doors shut. That won't fix anything and most of all, someone is going to piss off those cops and go to jail for the night. It's not worth it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394458720.903466.jpg

Wanted some input before I bite the bullet...My store just got a bunch of north coast old stock 2011 brandy barrel vintage.. Have yet to try it.. Worth the 25 dollar price tag for 500ml?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The dumbest part about that decision is that it doesn't have to be like that. It was simple, obvious, common sense things that were not handled properly that led to that disaster on Saturday. There's no need for them to do away with the event all together. Less tickets, less attendees, setting aside the guaranteed bottles away from the extra bottles, to name a few things. Just the use of a little brain power from the organizers would've made that day a lot better. People won't 'get around your efforts to make things fair' if you make it so that they can't. Canceling the event is just a huge over correction for something that has a much simpler solution.

Obviously being a good brewer does not automatically impart good organizational and planning skills. It is sad that they couldn't do those common sense things to keep their promises and I think they deserve to be raked over the coals for what went down. I just really feel for anyone like skeezer that paid not only for the ticket, but travel and accommodations and got nothing in the end for all that trouble.

The dumbest part about that decision is that it doesn't have to be like that. It was simple, obvious, common sense things that were not handled properly that led to that disaster on Saturday. There's no need for them to do away with the event all together. Less tickets, less attendees, setting aside the guaranteed bottles away from the extra bottles, to name a few things. Just the use of a little brain power from the organizers would've made that day a lot better. People won't 'get around your efforts to make things fair' if you make it so that they can't. Canceling the event is just a huge over correction for something that has a much simpler solution.

My thoughts exactly. I feel like the owner is saying, "people scammed me and ruined it all, and because of them I give up"

Its simple fixes to correct this...as mentioned above.

I do think he must have caught a lot of flak from the city, which may have influenced his decision. However, he comes off as blaming the dishonest people vs. His own companies blunders.

These are brewers, not event planners. Personally, I respect their decision to concede that they are not event planners and decide to do what they do best. Of course the alternative is to HIRE event planners to something like this, but that adds cost to an already expensive beer.

I understand they're pro brewers and not event planners. But, does that really matter? I'm not an event planner and have never planned an event in my life. But I could've spotted the flaws in their plan from a mile away. I'm sure most people here could've too. They could at least learn from their mistakes and have a better plan for next year, but instead they're just throwing in the towel.

If they were smart they would have hired event planners and paid out some $$ for professionals to do it. I would say I'm sure they did that with security but after some stories I've heard I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Easiest way is to stick to what they know with making good beer. Any event planner worth their salt would have made this a much more organized and smoothly ran event just using their experience with how many tickets to sell.

I understand they're pro brewers and not event planners. But, does that really matter? I'm not an event planner and have never planned an event in my life. But I could've spotted the flaws in their plan from a mile away. I'm sure most people here could've too. They could at least learn from their mistakes and have a better plan for next year, but instead they're just throwing in the towel.

Well, I'm not CC, but if i were, i might look at it this way:

There is a certain amount of planning that I am willing to put into an even such as this. I did that amount of planning and it clearly fell short. The idea of this event is that it is fun and builds a following for my brewery, the event itself is not a money maker. Because of my lack of planning, it was not fun, and has clearly had a negative impact on the opinion of me and my business.

If I hire an event planner, I can probably grow this for the next couple years, lose a little money on it, but still have some fun. Problem is, that still means more work for me, and I'll have more pressure from local police after this year's fiasco. There is also a limit to how big this event can get anyway, so at some point it just won't be feasible no matter what I do.

The biggest issue IMO is them selling cases of beer before everyone got to purchase their 3. there were people lined up to buy cases at 1:30-2pm, getting in the way of those that were trying to get their first 3. That was a result of poor planning: no ordered lines, no clear times to pick up bottles, selling the 3 bottle allocation in the same line as cases, no lines for people to exit once they bought their bottles (had to fight back through the crowd), etc. If everyone with the silver wristband would of got their bottles, there wouldn't be as much reason to complain. Did the lines suck also? Yeah. But lines at a beerfest are guaranteed also (although these were far worse than normal).

The biggest issue IMO is them selling cases of beer before everyone got to purchase their 3. there were people lined up to buy cases at 1:30-2pm, getting in the way of those that were trying to get their first 3. That was a result of poor planning: no ordered lines, no clear times to pick up bottles, selling the 3 bottle allocation in the same line as cases, no lines for people to exit once they bought their bottles (had to fight back through the crowd), etc. If everyone with the silver wristband would of got their bottles, there wouldn't be as much reason to complain. Did the lines suck also? Yeah. But lines at a beerfest are guaranteed also (although these were far worse than normal).

Yeah, that was the biggest issue. And I feel bad for people, like you, who didn't get what they were guaranteed to get.
Once again, easy fix for that problem. Whoever decided to combine the lines apparently had a complete brain function failure. Because that just seems like a plan that was doomed before it started.

My thoughts exactly. I feel like the owner is saying, "people scammed me and ruined it all, and because of them I give up"

Its simple fixes to correct this...as mentioned above.

I do think he must have caught a lot of flak from the city, which may have influenced his decision. However, he comes off as blaming the dishonest people vs. His own companies blunders.

There is no doubt that CCB could and should have done more to prevent this, but let's not forget the a-holes who counterfeited tickets. WTF??

There is no doubt that CCB could and should have done more to prevent this, but let's not forget the a-holes who counterfeited tickets. WTF??

If it can be done, it will be done... There should have been measures in place at the entrance to keep that from happening. If you're having an event where 3500 people are buying tickets, get proper tickets and ticket authorization processes.

My biggest issue with the post is that he is blaming it on others and other than saying he couldn't outsmart them, taking none of the blame.

Still rocking the birthday hauls, Melissa? Thats awesome.

HAHA nah, just thought I'd try to help out when you asked about trades. I assumed it was to try and get things back on track. But in truth, my birthday is all month, Peter.

That sucks. Can you tell what happened?
(That looks like one of my old boxes with a 1/2 corrugated inner liner)

Doesn't look like the bubble wrap was taped securely around the bottles. All of them were loose in the box so it was rather lucky there was just 1 casualty. It's just unfortunate which one it was. He's got another bottle though that he's gonna get sent out.

Doesn't look like the bubble wrap was taped securely around the bottles. All of them were loose in the box so it was rather lucky there was just 1 casualty. It's just unfortunate which one it was. He's got another bottle though that he's gonna get sent out.

I read somewhere (maybe here, I can't remember) not to use box tape on bubble wrap, so the receiver can easily reuse the packing materials. I occasionally slack on the shelf beers, but all the expensive bottles get box tape on both ends.
To any new traders, always do the shake test. Any movement, add packing.

The shake test is a must.

...and more important than individually wrapping the bottles/cans. Individual wrap ensures that some packing stays with the bottle if it moves around. If it doesn't move, that doesn't matter. That said, individual wrap is an easy insurance policy.

Too bad I don't ever end up shipping a straight 12 pack of 12oz bottles, I have these nice shipping boxes sitting here waiting to be used...

So here's some happier pics now that I'm home from work.
This is what survived the shipment with the Citra
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394539874.740065.jpg

And a great package from Ohio showed up too!!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394539907.233113.jpg

Really stoked for all of this Fat Heads!

Sent from my Commodore64 using Home Brew

Back