This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the best approach is to simply drive appropriately. If you've recently had a heavy snowfall or freezing rain, expect that some of the vehicles on the road with you are going to be shedding sheets/chunks of snow/ice.

I certainly don't expect every driver of every cube van, box truck, and semi-tractor trailer to climb up atop their icy rig and risk their neck scraping off ice and snow. Some of those tractor trailers have more surface area than my driveway! Heck, I don't even bother brushing off the top of my car, and I can reach that. It'll blow off the first time I hit 30/40 mph. And in the case of ice/freezing rain, what, I'm supposed to take an ice scraper to my car's body? Yeah, sure, that'll be great for the paint job. Get real. Open your eyes, keep your distance, and learn to drive in winter weather.

Defensive driving is always a good idea, but it only goes so far. You're talking as though leaving an extra second of distance will somehow make this not a hazard. You could not be more wrong. Those sheets of ice can fly high and far anough to hit vehicles hundreds of feet behind them. And in cities and on busy highways, you often don't have much choice but to be in close quarters with other vehicles at high speed.

I'm not terribly sympathetic to truckers whining about climbing up on top of their rigs. Every other aspect of their jobs has safety measures built in - I'm sure they can figure out a way to do clip in or take other precautions to avoid breaking their necks while clearing snow/ice that causes a road hazard for others. And as far as lazy asses with personal vehicles who do this, if anything flies off their vehicle and causes damage to mine, or god forbid injury, you better believe they will be liable and that I will do everything in my power to make them pay for every red cent of cost.

In finland, if the police gets you with an Improperly/insufficiently cleaned car, it's an automatic 180 euro fine. sadly the checks are too rare, so a lot of people don't care.....

cleaning your car, especially in countries like finland, where it snows a lot, is part of driving responsibly.

Noone cares if there is less than half an inch of fresh soft snow that will blow off in a bit, it's the morons that drive around with sheets of several inches of packed wet snow that endanger others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a long-handled broom in my driveway for the purpose of cleaning snow off of my car. Even after the worst overnight blizzard, it will take a maximum of 10 minutes to clean all the snow off. People who are too lazy to take 10 minutes cleaning off their car are bästards with an entitlement complex who know that they are more important than any other creature on this planet.

The worst is when box trucks do this, and it flies off on the highway in huge icy chunks. I think it's actually illegal most places - you could cause a serious wreck that way.
1) Show me where it specifies that in any law book.

2) I drive a 4wd F-150 crew cab pickup with a topper on it. Fully 15' of roof area, 7' off the ground. You are more than welcome to come clean the snow off it.

If you don't have time to see the snow/ice fly off the roof, and react appropriately, YOU are following too close and I don't give two hangs if it hits your windshield.

ym0ns.jpg

2) I drive a 4wd F-150 crew cab pickup with a topper on it. Fully 15' of roof area, 7' off the ground. You are more than welcome to come clean the snow off it.

If you don't have time to see the snow/ice fly off the roof, and react appropriately, YOU are following too close and I don't give two hangs if it hits your windshield.

You're more than welcome to look it up if you're interested - I saw Connecticut, for one, and I recall the same being true in NH, years ago. Not my onus or interest.

Otherwise, nothing you've said puts a dent in anything I've already said. You bought that size truck, you're responsible for it.

In any event, this is a pet peeve thread. Not a place for people to come and whine because they don't like what someone else says. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but If I cared about your opinion on the matter, I would have posted in the debate thread. My interest in fielding complaints on my opinions here varies between slim and none.
Toodleoo.

How about this law.

http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/ice-and-snow.html

Yes it is illegal in most states.

You bought the truck. You are responsible for cleaning it off.

You still are responsible for cleaning it off. Most drivers of big rigs don't own them either.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/sheet-ice-windshield-shattered_us_5686887be4b014efe0da83f4

You know that "show me the law" bit was nothing more than rhetoric.

These things simply don't apply if you are more important than everyone else.

You sound like an authority on the topic.

How do you know if you're more important than everyone else?

It would be quite convenient to recognize that.

:D

Well... I drove truck (semi) for 31 years, most of it in the snow belt of Michigan. I always felt bad when I pulled a trailer with a lot of snow on it. Creating a mini-blizzard behind me.

BUT we had no way of clearing off the snow. There is no way to get on top of the trailer except with a ladder. And if you did it would be very dangerous.

So please don't blame the drivers.

P.S. I retired from trucking and now drive a school bus, and its the same deal. The snow flies off the top. We can't climb on top to clear off the snow. But if we're lucky we get a snow day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOo9BEou1Y

In finland, if the police gets you with an Improperly/insufficiently cleaned car, it's an automatic 180 euro fine. sadly the checks are too rare, so a lot of people don't care.....

cleaning your car, especially in countries like finland, where it snows a lot, is part of driving responsibly.

Noone cares if there is less than half an inch of fresh soft snow that will blow off in a bit, it's the morons that drive around with sheets of several inches of packed wet snow that endanger others.

Looks like the driver found an efficient way to clean his car.

You can look up the Wisconsin statutes. It is now a ticketable offense to have snow or ice on the top of your vehicle while driving.

If you don't have time to make sure your vehicle isn't causing a hazard to everyone else on the road you're at fault. Snow doesn't magically drop after it is 10' away from your vehicle. You're more than welcome to stay at home while every other responsible driver is on the road. No one said you had to buy a 15' long truck and put a camper shell on it. Take the shell off and you'll have 9' to clean. I bet you still wouldn't clear it.

If I bought the truck, it wouldn't be a Ford. It's my work truck, that I am required to drive for my job.

As the operator you're responsible. Tell your boss you don't want the truck because it is too much work to clean it before going to work.

Law or no, it's common sense to clean the snow off your vehicle before driving so you don't create a hazard for others. It's also common courtesy. Laziness is NOT an excuse to create a danger to other drivers.
Regards, GF.

over here they have special gear to clean the top of the big rig trucks and most smaller worktrucks get parked inside during the night.

The fine a big rig driver gets for not cleaning the snow/ice of the top of his rig is very very nasty.

People that set up a whole scene for their brew-shots. IDC about your bottle opener nor your bottle cap. Just get the beer in good light so we can see it.

No laws in Minnesota but if a State Trooper gets hit with your snow, you are getting a 2 hour delay and an inspection on the spot. They are funny that way about "securing your'e load".

over here they have special gear to clean the top of the big rig trucks and most smaller worktrucks get parked inside during the night.

The fine a big rig driver gets for not cleaning the snow/ice of the top of his rig is very very nasty.

It should probably be combined with 5 years on-the-spot revocation of commercial driving license.

I really love that the police have the power to do on-the-spot license revocations for gross violations and there is no court involved nor appeal possible. Plus, you will probably appear in a nationally read newspaper so the entire country can know what an ässhole you are.

In general, people who don't secure their loads in a vehicle. I see pickup trucks loaded up like the Clampetts on "moving day," with nothing to hold the crap in place. Some guy just got hit by a car and seriously hurt here yesterday, trying to help some loser pick up his couch that had fallen out of a trailer on a busy freeway. A couple weeks ago I had to dodge a 4 x 4 board (wheel chock) that slid off an empty semi flatbed trailer and bounced end over end across the freeway lanes. All because some Cletus Elroy McStupid was too lazy to stow the thing before hitting the road.

Word. Secure your ****. I've driven pickups since I was teenager, so I'm not just advising other people on something I don't do.

I've dodged a mattress and a wooden wire spool that exploded all over the highway.

In college I was driving down US-101 in Los Angeles doing about 80-85mph in wall to wall traffic (crazy place to drive). 8 vehicles ahead of me someone lost a wheel barrow out the back of a pick-up truck. I was slamming on my brakes and got down to about 45mph when I realized I wasn't going to stop in time, and the guy behind me wasn't either.

Looked over my shoulder and saw it was clear so i made the move. Guy behind me ended up plowing into the line of all 8 cars. I just kept rolling.

I really love that the police have the power to do on-the-spot license revocations for gross violations and there is no court involved nor appeal possible. Plus, you will probably appear in a nationally read newspaper so the entire country can know what an ässhole you are.

Over here cops can shoot you right between the eyes if you look at them funny. There is no court nor recourse nor accountability. But the newspapers tell everyone what ******** they are.

Over here cops can shoot you right between the eyes if you look at them funny. There is no court nor recourse nor accountability. But the newspapers tell everyone what ******** they are.

Yes, I do suppose you win. if we could just rent some of the USA cops to work on EU border patrol for a while... I mean, hey, the Greek Islands are the best scenery on this entire planet...

The use of the asterisk for the degree symbol.

Alt+248 = °

Every time I see the asterisk, I am looking for the footnote attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back